Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kevin

Default Repairing Play Station Console Cable

The kids let their rabbit chew the cable of the play station console so
I was going to join the wires so at least it would work but at least
one of the cables is fibre so I am assuming that this is now now
completely useless.
I was a bit surprised to find fibre and not all copper wires.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Kevin wrote:
The kids let their rabbit chew the cable of the play station console so
I was going to join the wires so at least it would work but at least
one of the cables is fibre so I am assuming that this is now now
completely useless.
I was a bit surprised to find fibre and not all copper wires.

There is no optical fibre is any PS or PS2 cable - are you sure you're
not looking at the reinforcement strands?

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kevin

Grunff wrote:
Kevin wrote:
The kids let their rabbit chew the cable of the play station console so
I was going to join the wires so at least it would work but at least
one of the cables is fibre so I am assuming that this is now now
completely useless.
I was a bit surprised to find fibre and not all copper wires.

There is no optical fibre is any PS or PS2 cable - are you sure you're
not looking at the reinforcement strands?

--
Grunff

No, at least one of them is an insulated cable. I was very surprised
when I cut back the insulation not to find copper but what appeared to
be fibre. The cable did have loads of strands of string in it aswell.
Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alex

Kevin wrote:
The kids let their rabbit chew the cable of the play station console so
I was going to join the wires so at least it would work but at least
one of the cables is fibre so I am assuming that this is now now
completely useless.
I was a bit surprised to find fibre and not all copper wires.

Which cable is it?

alex
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Kevin wrote:

No, at least one of them is an insulated cable. I was very surprised
when I cut back the insulation not to find copper but what appeared to
be fibre. The cable did have loads of strands of string in it aswell.

Which PS and which cable?

--
Grunff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

There is no optical fibre is any PS or PS2 cable - are you sure you're not
looking at the reinforcement strands?

You can use an optical out on a PSX2 for audio I believe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Séan Connolly wrote:

You can use an optical out on a PSX2 for audio I believe.

Yes, but that is an optical port. The OP is implying a multi-wire cable
with a fibre strand.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
sPoNiX

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:21:27 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Séan Connolly wrote:

You can use an optical out on a PSX2 for audio I believe.

Yes, but that is an optical port. The OP is implying a multi-wire cable
with a fibre strand.

Is it fibre as in "optical fibre" or fibre as in that "insulated nylon
string with added wire strands" that used to be common in telephone
leads etc?

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
Kevin wrote:
No, at least one of them is an insulated cable. I was very surprised
when I cut back the insulation not to find copper but what appeared to
be fibre. The cable did have loads of strands of string in it aswell.

If it was fibre it would be obvious by the connector. It wouldn't just be
pins.

--
*There's two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither one works *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

Ian Stirling wrote:

The fiber is simply to add strength and robustness.
It has no other purpose.

Second that. It's probably "lacing cord"
Search on rswww.com for 554-080

Breaking strain 4.5Kg (10 lb) to avoid damage caused by squabbles
between players a.k.a. "Leave off! It's my go!!!!" (tm)

--
Adrian C

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Adrian C wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

The fiber is simply to add strength and robustness.
It has no other purpose.

Second that. It's probably "lacing cord"
Search on rswww.com for 554-080

Breaking strain 4.5Kg (10 lb) to avoid damage caused by squabbles
between players a.k.a. "Leave off! It's my go!!!!" (tm)

It's not so much breaking strain.
The important thing is to stop the strain getting onto the copper.
This stops the copper work hardening and fracturing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kevin

Grunff wrote:
Séan Connolly wrote:

You can use an optical out on a PSX2 for audio I believe.

Yes, but that is an optical port. The OP is implying a multi-wire cable
with a fibre strand.

--
Grunff

I've had another look under a magnifying glass at the cable and there
is a copper, I'll use the word loosely, cable in it. There is an
extremely fine copper thread with some sort of fibre strengthening. I
think I stand zero chance of soldering it so it looks as though its for
the bin.
No wonder my DVD scart cable packed up if it is made from the same
stuff.
Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
Kevin wrote:
No wonder my DVD scart cable packed up if it is made from the same
stuff.

If it's ordinary SCART cable it's just a mixture of co-ax, multi-core and
single wires. There's no strain improvers as it's not expected to be moved
often.

--
*A backward poet writes inverse.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Kevin wrote:

Grunff wrote:
S?an Connolly wrote:

You can use an optical out on a PSX2 for audio I believe.

Yes, but that is an optical port. The OP is implying a multi-wire cable
with a fibre strand.

I've had another look under a magnifying glass at the cable and there
is a copper, I'll use the word loosely, cable in it. There is an
extremely fine copper thread with some sort of fibre strengthening. I
think I stand zero chance of soldering it so it looks as though its for
the bin.
No wonder my DVD scart cable packed up if it is made from the same

There will be a multi-stranded enamelled copper wire, or several,
intermingled with the string.
You tin this by running the end of the bundle through a cool flame, after
removing the string.
Then polish the end with some cardboard pulled along the wire.
Then twist and solder as normal.

corded phone play music - Radio station [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 November 9th 05 09:36 PM
Repairing a cable chase Dave UK diy 5 May 13th 05 12:27 AM
Repairing UF cable Budman Home Repair 6 May 2nd 05 02:56 PM
Is it OK to put standard "twin & earth" cable directly into the cavity of a dwarf wall? Jon Weaver UK diy 20 August 8th 03 03:38 PM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 12:43 AM