Senior Member

Default DIY Screen wash

Anyone out there know a cheap DIY way of making screen wash?

Seem to be getting through gallons of the stuff at present (as you would expect) and always seem to be caught out and have to pay extortionate petrol station prices for it!

Have now bought a few litres from halfords, but there must be a cheaper way?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Cordless Crazy wrote:
Anyone out there know a cheap DIY way of making screen wash?

Industrial meths, a few drops of washing up liquid and water has worked well
for me in the past - but TBH if you shop around the 5l containers of
'proper' screenwash aren't that expensive. Not worth the hassle IMO.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:50:46 -0000, "Dave" wrote:
| but TBH if you shop around the 5l containers of
| 'proper' screenwash aren't that expensive. Not worth the hassle IMO.

But watch out for the strength.
Some is for use undiluted, some is 1:4 and some is 1:9.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Sick and tired of Junk Snail Mail?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Hodges

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:50:46 -0000, "Dave" wrote:
| but TBH if you shop around the 5l containers of
| 'proper' screenwash aren't that expensive. Not worth the hassle IMO.

But watch out for the strength.
Some is for use undiluted, some is 1:4 and some is 1:9.

I've found halfords good for gallon cans of fairly strong stuff. The
only thing they are good for in fact. Otherwise recommendations vary,
but normally include meths, washing up liquid (or car shampoo without
wax) and sometimes vinegar.

Chris

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Chris Hodges wrote:
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
"Dave" wrote:
| but TBH if you shop around the 5l containers of
| 'proper' screenwash aren't that expensive. Not worth the hassle IMO.

But watch out for the strength.
Some is for use undiluted, some is 1:4 and some is 1:9.

I've found halfords good for gallon cans of fairly strong stuff.

Lidl near here still have a few 5l. plastic containers of
concentrated screenwash, which seems to be OK. Comes in a
container with a special spout.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

I still have 5 litres of concentrate which I got from CPC
last year on special offer. (The first consignment they
sent me burst in the courier's van, apparently...)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Dave writes
Cordless Crazy wrote:
Anyone out there know a cheap DIY way of making screen wash?

Industrial meths, a few drops of washing up liquid and water has worked well
for me in the past - but TBH if you shop around the 5l containers of
'proper' screenwash aren't that expensive. Not worth the hassle IMO.

Yeah, CPC do it for IIRC less than a quid a litre

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steven Briggs

In message , Dave Fawthrop
writes
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:50:46 -0000, "Dave" wrote:
| but TBH if you shop around the 5l containers of
| 'proper' screenwash aren't that expensive. Not worth the hassle IMO.

But watch out for the strength.
Some is for use undiluted, some is 1:4 and some is 1:9.

Yeah, the "ready to use" is a bit of a rip-off, buying 4.5 litres of
water and 0.5l of screen wash. No no no, that won't do for a short-armed
Yorkshireman.
I get mine at Morrisons, 2.99 for 5 litre of concentrated stuff, dilute
1:3 through 1:9 according to seasonal demands. Must get some more this
week, last year's finished off and rapidly draining the tank in the car
with this grotty weather.
Actually the biggest pain last week was frozen washer jets, must have a
google for some heated after market jobs. Anyone seen any?

--
steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article ,
says...
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:50:46 -0000, "Dave" wrote:
| but TBH if you shop around the 5l containers of
| 'proper' screenwash aren't that expensive. Not worth the hassle IMO.

But watch out for the strength.
Some is for use undiluted, some is 1:4 and some is 1:9.

I've found halfords good for gallon cans of fairly strong stuff. The
only thing they are good for in fact. Otherwise recommendations vary,
but normally include meths, washing up liquid (or car shampoo without
wax) and sometimes vinegar.

General advice seems to be not to use washing up liquid - it uses salt a
as thickening agent which can accelerate corrosion in the bodywork.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 04:20:56 -0000, Rob Morley wrote:

General advice seems to be not to use washing up liquid - it uses
salt a as thickening agent which can accelerate corrosion in the
bodywork.

At this time of year is the tiddly bit of salt in washing up liquid
going to be a problem when you have vertiable crystal forest growing
on the windscreen? B-)

I don't need to buy screen wash. The car goes between services without
running out, I have some some where bought ages ago but normally go
for meths washing up liquid and I may try a splash of vinegar. Mind
you since I Rain-X'd the windscreen it wipes and clears much better
than any windscreen I have every had to look through.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sPoNiX

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:17:58 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

Lidl near here still have a few 5l. plastic containers of
concentrated screenwash, which seems to be OK. Comes in a
container with a special spout.

The Lidl stuff is fine (And cheap!)

The problem with washing up liquid is that it will clog your washer
jets eventually. Oh, and it contains salt.

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 04:20:56 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:50:46 -0000, "Dave" wrote:
| but TBH if you shop around the 5l containers of
| 'proper' screenwash aren't that expensive. Not worth the hassle IMO.

But watch out for the strength.
Some is for use undiluted, some is 1:4 and some is 1:9.

I've found halfords good for gallon cans of fairly strong stuff. The
only thing they are good for in fact. Otherwise recommendations vary,
but normally include meths, washing up liquid (or car shampoo without
wax) and sometimes vinegar.

General advice seems to be not to use washing up liquid - it uses salt a
as thickening agent which can accelerate corrosion in the bodywork.

With the roads covered in salt for three months a year or more the
tiny amount contributed by screenwash made up with a squirt of washing
up liquid is not even worth considering. This time of year after a
100 miles drive you could probably wash the car with seawater and end
up with less salt on the car!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Dave writes
Cordless Crazy wrote:
Anyone out there know a cheap DIY way of making screen wash?

Industrial meths, a few drops of washing up liquid and water has worked

well
for me in the past - but TBH if you shop around the 5l containers of
'proper' screenwash aren't that expensive. Not worth the hassle IMO.

Yeah, CPC do it for IIRC less than a quid a litre

Screwfix p/n 24233 £4.69 for 4.5L, dilute 10/1

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Don The Duck

The absolute best stuff I ever used was the white "whiskey" which
distillers are not allowed to sell - normally 150% proof and real
deadly firewater. Distilleries used to just chuck it down a drain but
it made really good screenwash - and provided additional party supplies
in an emergency on more than one occassion. Of course if you don't
live in Scotland and have a tame, friendly distiller then you'll have
to stick to Halfords although private DIY stores in this part of the
country (PHD DIY and JRD's in Peterhead and Ellon) are about two thirds
of the price of Halfords for 1:9 concentrate.

Cordless Crazy wrote:
Anyone out there know a cheap DIY way of making screen wash?

Seem to be getting through gallons of the stuff at present (as you
would expect) and always seem to be caught out and have to pay
extortionate petrol station prices for it!

Have now bought a few litres from halfords, but there must be a cheaper
way?

--
Cordless Crazy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jon Schneider

Halfords is a ripoff. Go to a tradeish place like Partco.

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Don The Duck

They chuck it down the drain cos it's too rough to sell as malt and
cannot be cut to give a blend. Aparently anything over 110% must be
disposed of cos the Revenue would tax it at a higher rate or something.
Awww!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article .com,
Don The Duck wrote:
They chuck it down the drain cos it's too rough to sell as malt and
cannot be cut to give a blend. Aparently anything over 110% must be
disposed of cos the Revenue would tax it at a higher rate or something.
Awww!!

I don't know about these Scottish refinery places but when I worked at a
brewery all alcohol was taxed the moment it left the building. Unless you are
driving around within the distillery I don't see how you can (legally) get
your screen wash cheap - and a visit by custom & excise is worse than a visit
by the police. ;-(

Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordless Crazy
Anyone out there know a cheap DIY way of making screen wash?

Seem to be getting through gallons of the stuff at present (as you would expect) and always seem to be caught out and have to pay extortionate petrol station prices for it!

Have now bought a few litres from halfords, but there must be a cheaper way?
Screwfix - Cheap as chips