Posted to uk.d-i-y
Edward W. Thompson

Default stand by for chaos!

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 00:35:12 GMT, dave wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 22:19:37 +0000 (UTC), Phillip Kyle
wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" verbally sodomised
in :

Brimstone explained on 23/11/2005 :
Lots of luvverly snow on the way.

Good, good :-)

Who wants to bet the usual dickheads will
get stuck abd blame someone else.? (Not me, for one)

I tend to find that the first taste of it deters the amateurs who
either decide to stay at home the next day, or they end up stuck in a
ditch. More room for the rest of us.

Translation: I'm stupid enough to go out driving in blizzards.

Well I saw one of them on the TV news. A woman stuck on Bodmin moor with two
young children (not hers) in the back! What a nutter. I mean it's not as if
we've had no notice of this snow is it. And can't say I think much of the idiot
mother who'd allow her kids to be driven on the motorway by someone else.

As a Canadian I am amazed that the slightest smattering of snow brings
chaos in a Country that is supposedly technically advanced.
3"-6" of snow is nothing and should be well within the capability of
all vehicles on uncleared roads and if not the vehicles are not road
worthy.

I think the problem lies with the tyres used here. In Canada everyone
either drives year round with 'all season' tyres or fit snow tyres for
winter. The last vehicle I had in Canada was a Honda Civic with all
season tyres which never had a problem in all snow conditions I
encountered in Nova Scotia. When I came to the UK I thought I would
fit all season tyres to my vehicle. The tyre suppliers I visited had
never heard of them and Canadian all season tyres do not meet EEC
regulations, go figure! When virtually all vehicles drive on what
are really summer tyres, or at least that is how it seems, problems in
the snow are inevitable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

wrote:

[...]

The problem is the weather.
We don't get snow very often so we don't have loads of equipment to deal
with it.
So when it does fall it isn't cleared from most of the roads.
This combined with the average driver having little or no experience on snow
(after all we don't have any) causes the problems.

We don't use all season tyres because they wear quickly and aren't very good
in the wet at speeds around 70+mph.

The only real solution is to change the climate which the Americans and
Canadians are helping us with. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Edward W. Thompson

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:40:52 GMT, "dennis@home"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Not sure what your point is. Cars and other vehicles should be able
to safely function in the light snow falls (3"-6") that occur in most
of the UK. If the snow is cleared they aren't operating in snow
conditions. The lack of competency of UK drivers is a well know and is
agreed.

Don't know where you get the wear rates and other stuff you quote of
all season tyres. High wear rates and problems in the wet and at
speed certainly has not been my experience.

As far as your swipe at Canada re greenhouse gases, Canada with
respect to emissions causes far less damage to the environment than
most if not all European countries and in particular the UK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

[...]

My land rover has what you need - on road legal M+S (Mud and snow) tyres.

I may have to get a new one...ther rest are 50,000 miles old and are
beginning to wear a little. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

[...]

They aren't good in te wet, but they do not necessarily wear badly.

Not my 50,000 mile M&S tryes anyway.

The only real solution is to change the climate which the Americans and
Canadians are helping us with. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

My tyres are very good in standing wayer and well able to handle te 85mph
top speed of te land river, but they do not grip as well as a softer
compound either in te dry, or in damp road conditions.

However, I don't habitually put the land rover up against Ferarris and
expect it to win either.

I repeat, google on M&S tyres for your car. They are available. In germany
they are a lot more common than here for example.