Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reccomendation for small analogue multimeter

Doesn't have to be fantastically acurate, but something that's built to
last would be good.
One of the little Ancient AVOs (Multiminor ?) would be lovely, but a
quick search on Ebay shows that they are made of unobtainium :=((

So, what's the modern equivalent?

Incidently, if anyone would like an old AVO 7 (might be AVO 8, it's a
long time since I looked at it). Drop me a mail and we can haggle.

Thats MR Zikki to you!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay

wrote in message
oups.com...
Doesn't have to be fantastically acurate, but something that's built to
last would be good.
One of the little Ancient AVOs (Multiminor ?) would be lovely, but a
quick search on Ebay shows that they are made of unobtainium :=((

So, what's the modern equivalent?

Try he

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...5m11&worldid=9

The Multiminors were good in their day but not in the same class as an AVO
8. I don't think the Minors have been made for some years and a cheap
Japanese (or other far eastern) meter is probably a better buy.

--
73
Brian, G8OSN

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
oups.com...
Doesn't have to be fantastically acurate, but something that's built to
last would be good.
One of the little Ancient AVOs (Multiminor ?) would be lovely, but a
quick search on Ebay shows that they are made of unobtainium :=((

So, what's the modern equivalent?

Incidently, if anyone would like an old AVO 7 (might be AVO 8, it's a
long time since I looked at it). Drop me a mail and we can haggle.

I have the US equiv, a 27 year old Simpson (not as good some say but with a
built in roller blind case). It is like new, complete with instructions).
The sheds sell meters for £5-10 for occasionally use they are fine. If it
breaks down buy another, otherwise you pay silly money for a Fluke; mine
packed up, while the Simpson is still going. I paid £6 at Aldi for a
digital meter with a 3 year guarantee. Excellent quality.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

wrote:

Doesn't have to be fantastically acurate, but something that's built to
last would be good.
One of the little Ancient AVOs (Multiminor ?) would be lovely, but a
quick search on Ebay shows that they are made of unobtainium :=((

So, what's the modern equivalent?

Incidently, if anyone would like an old AVO 7 (might be AVO 8, it's a
long time since I looked at it). Drop me a mail and we can haggle.

A lot depends on what you are going to use it for.

The old Avo Minor drew about 2.5 milli amps from the circuit, if I
remember, when measuring volts. (I have one and I use it for measuring
current, as it does not have a large voltage drop across it, like some
of the modern ones do)

It was useful for measuring Volts on some jobs, but not those where the
current flowing through the circuit was tiny. This was why the more
modern, high impedance meters were introduced. They didn't load the
circuit being measured. However, they are prone to measuring stray
signals that are not your target.

I used to work on aircraft and at times I had to measure the flap/slat
asymmetry voltages. This is a system on the A/C that detects that the
two sides of the A/C are in sync. Use a modern, high impedance input DVM
and you could not get a correct reading. Use a much older type and
everything was OK.

Post what you want it for and I am sure someone will point you in the
right direction. Other than that, use your old Avo 7/8. a very good
instrument.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
I have the US equiv, a 27 year old Simpson (not as good some say but
with a built in roller blind case). It is like new, complete with
instructions). The sheds sell meters for £5-10 for occasionally use they
are fine. If it breaks down buy another, otherwise you pay silly money
for a Fluke; mine packed up, while the Simpson is still going.

Here we go again. What on earth would you want a Fluke for given your
total lack of knowledge about electricity? You're making things up again.
A three quid DVM from a market stall would try your knowledge. Get a
Steinel Volt stick for 4 quid - that's all you'll need for your favourite
system boilers. Nice flashing lights so no need to try and understand
figures.

--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Dave wrote:
Other than that, use your old Avo 7/8. a very good
instrument.

They're awfully big to cart around, though. But a classic design.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

I have the US equiv, a 27 year old Simpson (not as good some say but
with a built in roller blind case). It is like new, complete with
instructions). The sheds sell meters for £5-10 for occasionally use they
are fine. If it breaks down buy another, otherwise you pay silly money
for a Fluke; mine packed up, while the Simpson is still going.

Here

** snip total senile babble and tripe **

It is Saturday, they let him out to shops today.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Other than that, use your old Avo 7/8. a very good
instrument.

They're awfully big to cart around, though. But a classic design.

He must have seen a picture of one.