Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

Default USA UK elec mains difference solution ?

Buying a PC based printer from the USA, having bid for it (not yet paid for
it) I now discover that the USA are 110V 60Hz and UK are 240V 50Hz. Is it
possible to get adapters that allow USA kit to run ok under UK mains ?
Surely there is a 240v to 110 v converter, but what of the 50 - 60 Hz
difference ?
Its a useful type of printer that is sought after for the task I want it for
and not coming up for sale here, whilst USA has a few still.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Young

Steve

Try Maplin for an adaptor. I got one from them and I use it to
recharge my US Power Drill and have had no problems

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Steve wrote:
Buying a PC based printer from the USA, having bid for it (not
yet paid for it) I now discover that the USA are 110V 60Hz and UK
are 240V 50Hz. Is it possible to get adapters that allow USA kit
to run ok under UK mains ? Surely there is a 240v to 110 v
converter, but what of the 50 - 60 Hz difference ?
Its a useful type of printer that is sought after for the task I
want it for and not coming up for sale here, whilst USA has a few
still.

You may find that it's an external transformer, and easily replaceable.
Alternatively, Maplins do converters IIRC

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

Buying a PC based printer from the USA, having bid for it (not yet paid for
it) I now discover that the USA are 110V 60Hz and UK are 240V 50Hz. Is it
possible to get adapters that allow USA kit to run ok under UK mains ?
Surely there is a 240v to 110 v converter, but what of the 50 - 60 Hz
difference ?

If it uses an external PSU and is a fairly recent model (i.e. last 4
years or so) there`s a very good chance it will work without any need
for a seperate power adaptor.

Is there any big secret about them that would prevent you from naming
what the hardware is, so we might be able to get some more info on the
load requirements ?

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Steve wrote:
Buying a PC based printer from the USA, having bid for it (not yet
paid for it) I now discover that the USA are 110V 60Hz and UK are
240V 50Hz. Is it possible to get adapters that allow USA kit to run
ok under UK mains ? Surely there is a 240v to 110 v converter, but
what of the 50 - 60 Hz difference ?
Its a useful type of printer that is sought after for the task I want
it for and not coming up for sale here, whilst USA has a few still.

Steve

How about making a adaptor to suit?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...u_Index/Shaver
_Sockets/Shaver_Sockets_White/
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred

"Steve" wrote in message
. uk...
Buying a PC based printer from the USA, having bid for it (not yet paid
for
it) I now discover that the USA are 110V 60Hz and UK are 240V 50Hz. Is it
possible to get adapters that allow USA kit to run ok under UK mains ?
Surely there is a 240v to 110 v converter, but what of the 50 - 60 Hz
difference ?
Its a useful type of printer that is sought after for the task I want it
for
and not coming up for sale here, whilst USA has a few still.

Steve

What make/model printer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chip

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:40:41 GMT,it is alleged that "Steve"
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Buying a PC based printer from the USA, having bid for it (not yet paid for
it) I now discover that the USA are 110V 60Hz and UK are 240V 50Hz. Is it
possible to get adapters that allow USA kit to run ok under UK mains ?
Surely there is a 240v to 110 v converter, but what of the 50 - 60 Hz
difference ?
Its a useful type of printer that is sought after for the task I want it for
and not coming up for sale here, whilst USA has a few still.

Steve

Basically, what everyone else said. Wait till it arrives, check out
the label on the back, if it says 100-250v 50-60Hz, you're home free,
buy a new power cord or stick a british plug on.

If it's an old transformer based one OR has an external power brick
that only handles 110-125v (the US is actually nominally 120v 60Hz)
TLC do a nice range of transformers, buy the next higher power one to
the rating of the printer.

Word of caution however, if it's a laser printer, buy one of the dirty
great construction site transformers, the warmup surges on laser
printers can be huge.

--
There are three things which I consider excellent advice. First, don't
smoke to excess. Second, don't drink to excess.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

many printers come with an external PSU ... I have 2 HP models that are
like this.
I just checked and both of them are multi voltage/frequency .........
you may be lucky, check if it has external PSU ... or wait for it to
turn up.