Junior Member

Default New bathroom pipe sizes

Hi, im in the process of replacing my bathroom and am a little uncertain of what size copper pipes to use. My current bathroom was fitted when we had a back boiler but since then i have had a 18Ltr Combi fitted.
My question is the existing hot water supply in the bathroom is 22mm to the Hot and 15mm to the cold. Is there any reason to keep the hot at 22mm or would 15 be sufficient. i am also fitting a thermostatic shower would 15mm be enough for that too? my cold supply is high so i am also fitting a pressure reducing valve.
Any help and advice would be greatly apreciated.
Thanks,
colt..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:13:27 +0000, colt ceavers wrote:

Is there any reason to keep the hot at
22mm or would 15 be sufficient.

Yes, no.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:13:27 +0000, colt ceavers wrote:

Is there any reason to keep the hot at
22mm or would 15 be sufficient.

Yes, no.

No, Yes ;-)

The combi itself is the limitation on flow rate of hot water, you will
note that its mains connection is probably only 15mm, as is the mains to
the bath. So 15mm would be fine. Having the 22mm in the feed simply
increases the amount of water you waste waiting for the hot to come
through. Whether it is worth changing at this stage however is debatable.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:53:15 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

Yes, no.

No, Yes ;-)

The combi itself is the limitation on flow rate of hot water,

Ooops! Missed the combi bit.

--
Nigel M
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Molesworth
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:53:15 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

Yes, no.

No, Yes ;-)

The combi itself is the limitation on flow rate of hot water,

Ooops! Missed the combi bit.

--
Nigel M
thanks for the replys guys,
Yes the mains feed is 15mm for the cold but the hot comes in on a 22mm and is then reduced to 15mm on feeds to the bath and sink.
i think i shall replace it all with 15mm it was just the new thermostatic shower that i was really concerned about.
thanks,
colt..