Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

Default Help with floor

Having had a wall removed I'm now left with a gap between the concrete floor
of the kitchen and the suspended floor of the dining room.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a27/dr...ts/Help2/?sc=3

What's the best way to fill this in ?

Thanks

Séan

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Séan Connolly wrote:
Having had a wall removed I'm now left with a gap between the concrete floor
of the kitchen and the suspended floor of the dining room.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a27/dr...ts/Help2/?sc=3

What's the best way to fill this in ?

Hm. Muck it up flat, board over the lot with hardboard, and carpet it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

Hm. Muck it up flat, board over the lot with hardboard, and carpet it.

Carpet in a kitchen ? Nah!

Boarding it would make sense though...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Séan Connolly wrote:
Having had a wall removed I'm now left with a gap between the
concrete floor of the kitchen and the suspended floor of the dining
room.

I reckon you should fill the gap with concrete then use a threshold strip to
join whatever the two floor coverings are going to be.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Séan Connolly wrote:
Hm. Muck it up flat, board over the lot with hardboard, and carpet it.

Carpet in a kitchen ? Nah!

Oh, knickers - sorry, I see your point.

Boarding it would make sense though...

What sort of covering have you in mind? There will probablt always
be an issue with the join, unless you mke the suspended floor solid,
and maybe even then... you could, if you made it solid, remove the
bricks of the wall, then only have one "joint" to deal with....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article , "Séan
Connolly" mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk says...
Having had a wall removed I'm now left with a gap between the concrete floor
of the kitchen and the suspended floor of the dining room.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a27/dr...ts/Help2/?sc=3

What's the best way to fill this in ?

What are the levels like?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

I reckon you should fill the gap with concrete then use a threshold strip
to join whatever the two floor coverings are going to be.

That's what I was thinking, how would I pour it without it seeping under the
suspended floor though ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

What sort of covering have you in mind? There will probablt always
be an issue with the join, unless you mke the suspended floor solid,
and maybe even then... you could, if you made it solid, remove the
bricks of the wall, then only have one "joint" to deal with....

Really I want the whole loot (kitchen and dining room) to have the same
floor, laminate I'd imagine. Could I not just board over the lot (assuming
its roughly level) and then put laminate down ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:34:21 -0000, "Séan Connolly"
mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

| What sort of covering have you in mind? There will probablt always
| be an issue with the join, unless you mke the suspended floor solid,
| and maybe even then... you could, if you made it solid, remove the
| bricks of the wall, then only have one "joint" to deal with....
|
| Really I want the whole loot (kitchen and dining room) to have the same
| floor, laminate I'd imagine. Could I not just board over the lot (assuming
| its roughly level) and then put laminate down ?

Steps should *not* be between 1 inch and three inches high.
Ramps should not bee too steep.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Sick and tired of Junk Snail Mail?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:32:39 -0000, "Séan Connolly"
mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

| I reckon you should fill the gap with concrete then use a threshold strip
| to join whatever the two floor coverings are going to be.
|

| That's what I was thinking, how would I pour it without it seeping under the
| suspended floor though ?

Block the holes with filler first.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Sick and tired of Junk Snail Mail?
Register with http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/
IME it works :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

Block the holes with filler first.

I can't see how that would work, the hole is about 1.5 meters long and upto
two inches wide in places.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:57:40 -0000, "Séan Connolly"
mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

| Block the holes with filler first.
|
| I can't see how that would work, the hole is about 1.5 meters long and upto
| two inches wide in places.

Block off the big holes with newspaper or plastic bags, anything which will
hold the filler, cover with filler, pour the concrete..
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Sick and tired of Junk Snail Mail?
Register with http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/
IME it works :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Séan Connolly wrote:
Having had a wall removed I'm now left with a gap between the concrete floor
of the kitchen and the suspended floor of the dining room.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a27/dr...ts/Help2/?sc=3

What's the best way to fill this in ?

Tricky. First make sure the crap that's fallen in is cleared
out, you don't want it bridging the DPC in the bottom of the
removed wall (if there is one), or touching the timbers. You
could remove a board to rake it out. Use something (strips
of hardboard, whatever) to close the gap, and gently tamp in
some concrete slightly proud of the surface, "saw" it off
with a batten, and finish the surface smooth. If you're
putting down laminate, it might be a good idea to hardboard
the lot before putting down the underlay/laminate. How are
you finishing any laminate edges, e.g. in doorways? Is there
carpet or whatnot elsewhere?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

Block off the big holes with newspaper or plastic bags, anything which
will
hold the filler, cover with filler, pour the concrete..

Ahh I see what you mean. What sort of filler are you refering to though ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

How are you finishing any laminate edges, e.g. in doorways? Is there
carpet or whatnot elsewhere?

Its all going to be laminate downstairs so it could really do with being all
the same level.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Séan Connolly wrote:
Having had a wall removed I'm now left with a gap between the
concrete floor of the kitchen and the suspended floor of the dining
room.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a27/dr...ts/Help2/?sc=3

What's the best way to fill this in ?

Thanks

Séan

Take a couple of the front floorboards up to reveal the joist,screw battons
just below the height of the concrete floor to the brickwork as close to
the concrete edge, cover the area with plywood the same thickness of the
floorboards, screw plywood to joist and battons along the brickwork...no
need to fill with concrete

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:24:14 -0000, "Séan Connolly"
mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

| Block off the big holes with newspaper or plastic bags, anything which
| will
| hold the filler, cover with filler, pour the concrete..
|

| Ahh I see what you mean. What sort of filler are you refering to though ?

Whatever is cheapest, you will need a lot.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Sick and tired of Junk Snail Mail?
Register with http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/
IME it works :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
screw battons just below the height of the concrete floor

That's no way to conduct yourself!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

Take a couple of the front floorboards up to reveal the joist,screw
battons
just below the height of the concrete floor to the brickwork as close to
the concrete edge, cover the area with plywood the same thickness of the
floorboards, screw plywood to joist and battons along the brickwork...no
need to fill with concrete

This I lke the sound of, thank you!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Chris Bacon wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
screw battons just below the height of the concrete floor

That's no way to conduct yourself!

Ok, I'll refrain from waving my arms in the air.

I'll get the battens. :-P

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite