Posted to uk.d-i-y
leveled

Default Scorpion Saw

Which would be best for occasional cutting of wood ,chipboard etc --B& D
Scorpion or one of the all purpose Titan SJ750XP or POW 110 from
Screwfix all around 30 pounds Regards E

Posted to uk.d-i-y
leveled

Sorry POW 110 is from ToolStation

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

leveled wrote:
Which would be best for occasional cutting of wood ,chipboard etc
--B& D Scorpion or one of the all purpose Titan SJ750XP or
POW 110 from Screwfix all around 30 pounds Regards E

As a bloke who had the Scorpion said to me "I bought a piece of junk".

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:15:00 -0000, "leveled" wrote:

Which would be best for occasional cutting of wood ,chipboard etc --B& D
Scorpion or one of the all purpose Titan SJ750XP or POW 110 from
Screwfix all around 30 pounds Regards E

I think that it's worth considering what the result is that you want
before buying a reciprocating saw.

These are not that precise because they are very much hand guided and
guiding in a straight line or even dealing with the saw's natural
tendency to wander is not that effective. They are OK for relatively
rough work, but not to cut accurately to a straight line over any
distance.

Therefore, if you wanted to cut straight lines in sheet material, you
would be better off with a circular saw, and cutting of dimensional
timber would be better done with a handsaw. Circular saws, even
quite reasonable ones by Skil are not that expensive.
You can get good quality hand saws made by Bahco quite inexpensively
or even some Japanese style ones made by Irwin and others which are
pretty nice for general use.

Having said that, I have a Scintilla saw (subsidiary of Bosch, model
no longer made) which is pretty good within the limitations of a
reciprocating saw - it's like a sabre saw in style.

So I think the first question ought to be, are you going to be happy
with the results of the limitations of this type of saw. It really
doesn't matter if it is occasional use if the outcome isn't what you
wanted.

I did try a BD Scorpion saw a while ago and they were crap. On the
first one, the mechanism jammed solid. This was replaced with a
second by B&Q, but on that one the motor smoked. It went back, we had
a discussion, and they refunded plus a £20 voucher for my trouble.
This funded the purchase of Scintilla, who is a much better behaved
tool.

It may be that Scorpions now are better, but the other aspect is that
they use a proprietary blade type and some are expensive.

The others do at least use a standard blade.

I haven't looked at the Titan product explicitly, but would probably
go for something of that style rather than the bigger handle style of
the Toolstation one, the Scorpion or the Bosch PFZ600E.

I've tried that style as well as the sabre style (Makita JR3050T,
Hitachi CR13V) and much prefer the sabre style. The Titan appears to
be like that. I found the tool better balanced and easier to
control because the weight is further forward nearer to the blade.
Those with the weight nearer the back in the handle I found harder to
use and to maintain a reasonable cut.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:40:57 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

leveled wrote:
Which would be best for occasional cutting of wood ,chipboard etc
--B& D Scorpion or one of the all purpose Titan SJ750XP or
POW 110 from Screwfix all around 30 pounds Regards E

As a bloke who had the Scorpion said to me "I bought a piece of junk".

They haven't improved then.....

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:

leveled wrote:
Which would be best for occasional cutting of wood ,chipboard etc
--B& D Scorpion or one of the all purpose Titan SJ750XP or
POW 110 from Screwfix all around 30 pounds Regards E

As a bloke who had the Scorpion said to me "I bought a piece of
junk".

They haven't improved then.....

Well they are good for cutting the sunday roast turkey.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Andy Hall wrote:

They are OK for relatively
rough work, but not to cut accurately to a straight line over any
distance.

Great tool for demolition work! I've used my to demolish shelving, remove
door frames, garden gates frames, small tree branches etc.

As Andy says, not a precision cut though.

Jigsaws are pretty versatile, not so good on long straight cuts, but pretty
multi purpose.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

leveled wrote:

Which would be best for occasional cutting of wood ,chipboard etc --B& D
Scorpion

Nooooo.... they really are a joke. If you do seriously want one however
you can have my one for the cost of the postage!

As a jigsaw they are crap compared to even a crap jigsaw. As a sabre saw
they use propriatary blades and there is little choice so they lose all
the main advantages of this type of tool. They have a very short stroke
length - vibration saw may be a better description. They are under
powered and cut slowly, and inacurately. The bigger panel saw type blade
waggles about so much you get funnel shaped cuts through things. The
vibration they create is hard to believe - but 20 mins of use and you
will be lucky if you can feel your fingers anymore. Other than that they
are fine! ;-)

or one of the all purpose Titan SJ750XP or

Yup that is much more the ticket...

POW 110 from

Again ok but a bit less power.

I have one of the "white" axminster ones which seems to be one of the
better white tools. It is actually quite usable within the limitations
of the breed.

More info he

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/recipsaw.htm

Remember however none of these tools are really general purpose saws.
They are great for rough cutting, demolition, or cutting in places that
would be impossible to get at or very hostile to any other class of
power tool, but they wont find much application in general capentry.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
leveled

Thanks all for your advice, I think I will try the Titan ,and forget the
Scorpion (£35 at Clarks Village B& D Shop)I do have a small chain saw , and
its cut is too course for my purpose,I use it for fire wood . Regards E