Janet Tweedy

Default Bathroom design?

Thinking about getting our bathroom redesigned etc , need a shower
(somehow!) but has anyone got advice on who to entrust with the design?
Do I use a local plumber or as it needs really looking at and perhaps
thinking about rearranging etc ought I to go to on of those all in
bathroom design places such as Dolphin?
I haven't got any imaginations sadly so need ideas and wondered if a
plumber would be able to suggest suites/tiles/placing bath etc?
It's a 1930's house so not a large bathroom.
Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
John Rumm

Janet Tweedy wrote:

Thinking about getting our bathroom redesigned etc , need a shower
(somehow!) but has anyone got advice on who to entrust with the design?

The best designer will ultimately be you! Since you are the only one who
knows what you expect from it, and also has to live with the result.

Do I use a local plumber or as it needs really looking at and perhaps

Perhaps... building modern mathrooms is a multi diciplin activity often
involving the skills of building, plumbing, tiling, wiring, and
finishing and fitting. So you either need someone that can do all those,
or at least someone who can manage that aspect of the porject and get
the required people.

Have a look to see if there are any local independat bathroom fitting
shops as well. See if you can find one on recommendation.

(Having just finished building one for an aunt, I can also confirm they
always take longer than you expect!)

thinking about rearranging etc ought I to go to on of those all in
bathroom design places such as Dolphin?

Only if you want to pay *way* over the odds for your bathroom.

I haven't got any imaginations sadly so need ideas and wondered if a
plumber would be able to suggest suites/tiles/placing bath etc?

Measure up carefully and then sit down with some graph paper. Cut out
extra bits to represent the main components and slide them about until
you get a "fit" that works. Get yourself some catalogues from a builders
merchant / plumbers merchants - people like ideal standard etc do books
full of all their sanitaryware with piccies of it in situ in full
bathrooms. These can be a good source of "idear material".

--
Cheers,

John.

john

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Janet Tweedy wrote:

Thinking about getting our bathroom redesigned etc , need a shower
(somehow!) but has anyone got advice on who to entrust with the design?

The best designer will ultimately be you! Since you are the only one who
knows what you expect from it, and also has to live with the result.

Do I use a local plumber or as it needs really looking at and perhaps

Perhaps... building modern mathrooms is a multi diciplin activity often
involving the skills of building, plumbing, tiling, wiring, and
================================================== ===============/

Try this and have fun:

http://www.bathroom-design-guide.com/bathroom-planner/

or:
If you have Microsoft Visio you can do it really well.

John

Lobster

Janet Tweedy wrote:
Thinking about getting our bathroom redesigned etc , need a shower
(somehow!) but has anyone got advice on who to entrust with the design?
Do I use a local plumber or as it needs really looking at and perhaps
thinking about rearranging etc ought I to go to on of those all in
bathroom design places such as Dolphin?

Dolphin are *incredibly* expensive and from what I've read on this
newsgroup and elsewhere, and particularly good either.

I haven't got any imaginations sadly so need ideas and wondered if a
plumber would be able to suggest suites/tiles/placing bath etc?

A plumber is (usually) a guy who connects pipes together and installs
sanitary equipment; he might have a flair for 'design' but equally
likely he won't. He's likely to show you examples of suites, tiles,
colours etc for you to choose from, but I don't think that's what you're
after?

Even if you don't have a flair for design yourself, presumably you "know
what you like"? In which case, you need to go check out as many
bathroom showrooms, and read as many glossy magazines and brochures that
you can get your hands on, to come up with ideas.

I imagine most of the bathroom showrooms (and even Wickes, B&Q?) will
offer to design your bathroom for your from scratch on a computer,
presumably on a no-obligation basis; so there's no reason why you can't
go and see what they (all) have to offer and then take your ideas
elsewhere, if you want.

David

G.W. Walker

In article ,
john wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Janet Tweedy wrote:

Thinking about getting our bathroom redesigned etc , need a shower
(somehow!) but has anyone got advice on who to entrust with the design?

The best designer will ultimately be you! Since you are the only one who
knows what you expect from it, and also has to live with the result.

Do I use a local plumber or as it needs really looking at and perhaps

Perhaps... building modern mathrooms is a multi diciplin activity often
involving the skills of building, plumbing, tiling, wiring, and
================================================== ===============/

Try this and have fun:

http://www.bathroom-design-guide.com/bathroom-planner/

That's ace!

I'm just redesigning mine (also 30s house). In the end
I realised that there's not enough room for a shower,
so am going for one of those "shower baths" (like a
bath, but with a big round bit at one end) cos you can
put a decent screen up around it.

The next decision is "tiles first, then bath, or vice
versa..."

G.

Lobster wrote:

Dolphin are *incredibly* expensive and from what I've read on this
newsgroup and elsewhere, and particularly good either.

A lady I know recently got royally ripped off by them - I think she
paid something in the region of £7k for a smallish bathroom, with poor
work taking longer than it should have done and a totally inadequate
shower. The piece de resistance for me, though, is that she didn't even
get to choose her own tiles. The salesguy apparently told her that he
would bring out some samples for her to see (which doesn't sound ideal
to me anyway) but didn't bother in the end and the fitter just brought
some tiles along on the day and started fitting them. When she phoned
the salesguy to question this, apparently he said something like: "but
I thought you would like those ones...." in a hurt tone of voice!!! And
they were nothing special either - she could have bought much nicer
ones from any of the sheds for a fraction of the price.

OK, you could argue that it's her own fault for letting them walk all
over her but it certainly doesn't give the impression of a professional
outfit. Their modus operandi seems to be to charge ridiculous amounts
while palming off the cheapest fixtures and fitting on unsuspecting and
inexperienced customers.

Rant over!

Cheers

Helen

John Rumm

G.W. Walker wrote:

The next decision is "tiles first, then bath, or vice
versa..."

I find that bath and shower are best done first then the tiling, finally
the loo, and sink are best done after.

That way you can chop the bath into the wall, and arrange for the tiles
to come down onto the flat bit of the top rather than the roll edge.
That saves creating a little water trap all round the edge and also
allows a little failsafe should the seal at the edge fail.

--
Cheers,

John.

DJC

Janet Tweedy wrote:
Thinking about getting our bathroom redesigned etc , need a shower
(somehow!) but has anyone got advice on who to entrust with the design?

As I type this the bathroom fitters are busy fitting my new shower/wet
room. It's taken me twenty years to get round to refitting the original
builders unsatisfactory design. The detailed planning has taken 12
months. Perhaps I should wait till its all finished (sometime next
week?) before giving advice, but anyway.

Look in a lot of showrooms, read a lot of catalogues, dream about
bathrooms, everytime you are in the existing bathroom study it, think
about it: what works, what dosn't.

An independent bathroom shop is probably best. Not a big chain with
pushy sales people on commission, nor a design shop who will contract
out the fitting or merely have a list of recommended fitters. Project
managing a lot of trades is not something you want to do, nor do you
really want an odd-job man who may be good on only parts of the job.

Get lots of quotes listen to suggestions, but make no commitment until
you are sure.

Drawing plans is good, I found making models better.
http://www.ordior.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/model1-hot.jpeg
http://www.ordior.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/model-a.jpeg
http://www.ordior.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/model2-a.jpeg
http://www.ordior.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tile-model.png

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
G.W. Walker

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

I find that bath and shower are best done first then the tiling, finally
the loo, and sink are best done after.

That way you can chop the bath into the wall, and arrange for the tiles
to come down onto the flat bit of the top rather than the roll edge.
That saves creating a little water trap all round the edge and also
allows a little failsafe should the seal at the edge fail.

Cunning. I was thinking that it would be easier to get a
good seal around the bath by tiling first, but your
method sounds much better. Ta.

G.

G.W. Walker

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:

Same here! Room is just not big enough to fit shower plus bath. I see
people who have 'ideas' about bathrooms but sadly I guess it will be
just what will fit. I would love a proper shower but at the moment it's
just a shower head on the wall so a good shower/bath with a screen NOT a
curtain would be lovely.

I hate to admit it, but I got lots of useful design ideas
from looking through various "house" magazines, and then
wandering around the DIY sheds to see the various bits and
bobs "in the flesh".

That bathroom planning website is ace fun as well :-)

G.