Mike Dodd

Default Hedges - how to remove stumps

Okay, ongoing saga about the sister's new house...

Having got her central heating working, to a fashion, thanks to the help
and advise from this group, attention has turned to the garden.

In its time, with the previous owner, the garden was revered as a place
of beauty. The rear boundary was a fine example of hedgerow used to
separate the neighbours. As is the way of the world, maintenance became
a problem as the owner grew old, and the hedge fell into disrepair.

At the time that the owner died, the hedges were cut down by one
neighbour to the extent that there is now only 12-18" of stump above
ground. The hedges were obviously mature (the stumps are bloody thick)
and closely spaced.

Sister wants to secure the property to allow her dogs to roam in the
garden (the small enclosed "yard" is getting a bit deep in dog-****, and
she wants them to have greater freedom).

So, to the problem:

To fence in the garden requires the removal of all or part of the stumps.

To my mind, the easiest way would be to cut to ground level and using
some chemical to kill the plant by pouring onto the remaining stump. The
question is - is there any such chemical easily available?

The best, and by far the most difficult solution - to dig out the
stumps, root and all. This is difficult since the neighbour has erected
a series of rented-out garages along the property boundary. I'd expect
the hedge roots to extend underneath the garages.

My sister is open to option 1 - to cut/kill roots, effectively loosing
maybe 1ft/18" of the boundary and erecting a fence inwards of the
property. Is this a sensible approach?

As the winter months close in, any opinion / experience would be
gratefully received.

Mike
John Cartmell

In article ,
Mike Dodd wrote:
At the time that the owner died, the hedges were cut down by one
neighbour to the extent that there is now only 12-18" of stump above
ground. The hedges were obviously mature (the stumps are bloody thick)
and closely spaced.

Sister wants to secure the property to allow her dogs to roam in the
garden (the small enclosed "yard" is getting a bit deep in dog-****, and
she wants them to have greater freedom).

So, to the problem:

To fence in the garden requires the removal of all or part of the stumps.

It depends on the size and agility of the dogs (mine would be adequately
contained by the stumps!) but, if possible, I'd be tempted to put up temporary
fencing and see what grew in the spring. Good hedges are nearly always better
than fences and there may be some rapid growth that will form a good barrier.
Removing tree stumps is a hell of a job and a long line of such *will* require
far more power than you expect - think of tractors (plural). And you aren't
likely to get any further with chemicals.

When was the hedge cut down?
And try a gardening group (or Gardeners' Question Time!)

:::Jerry::::

"Mike Dodd" wrote in message
Okay, ongoing saga about the sister's new house...

snip
garden (the small enclosed "yard" is getting a bit deep in

dog-****, and
snip
To fence in the garden requires the removal of all or part of the

stumps.

Sounds like your sister needs to invest in a shovel....

Colin Wilson

The best, and by far the most difficult solution - to dig out the
stumps, root and all. This is difficult since the neighbour has erected
a series of rented-out garages along the property boundary. I'd expect
the hedge roots to extend underneath the garages.

Why not just let the rented garage walls form a natural boundary and
just fence along the sides for now ?

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****
Tony Williams

In article ,
Mike Dodd wrote:

At the time that the owner died, the hedges were cut down by one
neighbour to the extent that there is now only 12-18" of stump
above ground. The hedges were obviously mature (the stumps are
bloody thick) and closely spaced.

Put a row of fenceposts down the hedgeline, (along the
property boundary if possible), re-fence it, and allow
the hedge to grow back again.

'Pigwire', from agricultural merchants, is probably the
cheapest fencing. You can recognise it as having mainly
large squares, but with small ones down the bottom (to
stop piglets getting through). Pigwire is about 3ft high
so you may need to overlap it if the dogs are agile.

--
Tony Williams.

Roger

The message
from Tony Williams contains these words:

At the time that the owner died, the hedges were cut down by one
neighbour to the extent that there is now only 12-18" of stump
above ground. The hedges were obviously mature (the stumps are
bloody thick) and closely spaced.

Put a row of fenceposts down the hedgeline, (along the
property boundary if possible), re-fence it, and allow
the hedge to grow back again.

Personally I would go for the option that uses the back of the garages
as part of the fencing.

'Pigwire', from agricultural merchants, is probably the
cheapest fencing. You can recognise it as having mainly
large squares, but with small ones down the bottom (to
stop piglets getting through). Pigwire is about 3ft high
so you may need to overlap it if the dogs are agile.

I know that as sheep netting. Comes in 50 metre rolls. Can't see any
particular reason why it can't be fixed directly to the back of the
garages and with 50m to play with there should be enough to give 2 runs
and double the nominal height.

--
Roger Chapman
Matt

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:56:00 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Mike Dodd" wrote in message
Okay, ongoing saga about the sister's new house...

snip
garden (the small enclosed "yard" is getting a bit deep in

dog-****, and
snip
To fence in the garden requires the removal of all or part of the

stumps.

Sounds like your sister needs to invest in a shovel....

....and use it on the dogs.

Pete C

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:29:32 +0000, Mike Dodd
wrote:

[...]

Hi,

Try asking on and googling the archives of misc.rural

cheers,
Pete.
Peter Scott

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Mike Dodd
writes

At the time that the owner died, the hedges were cut down by one neighbour
to the extent that there is now only 12-18" of stump above ground. The
hedges were obviously mature (the stumps are bloody thick) and closely
spaced.
So, to the problem:

To fence in the garden requires the removal of all or part of the stumps.

To my mind, the easiest way would be to cut to ground level and using some
chemical to kill the plant by pouring onto the remaining stump. The
question is - is there any such chemical easily available?

first question is the hedge regrowing again? If not then assuming it was
cut at least a year ago the stumps are most likely conifer and are dead
anyway. But yes to answer the second one you can get stuff to kill off cut
the reaming stumps. Root out/Deep Root/SBK Brushwood Killer are names that
spring to mind, dunno if they are all suitable though.

I have used sodium chlorate to kill stumps up to 30cm across. Drill large
downward sloping holes using a flat drill about wine cork size. Spoon in
some
crystals and cork up. Leave for six months. Small stumps are usually rotted
by
then and can be kicked over and out. Reminds me that I've got a couple to
do.

BTW don't ask for sugar at the same time as the chlorate!! Remember that
the Whitehall mafia just passed the 28 day law.

Peter Scott

Roger

The message
from Tony Williams contains these words:

'Pigwire'.......

I know that as sheep netting. Comes in 50 metre rolls. Can't see
any particular reason why it can't be fixed directly to the back
of the garages and with 50m to play with there should be enough
to give 2 runs and double the nominal height.

Walking the parish I like to clock who has fitted it upside
down, not realising what the smaller holes are for.

And their farm gates? :-)

--
Roger Chapman

Mike Dodd

Peter Scott wrote:

BTW don't ask for sugar at the same time as the chlorate!! Remember that
the Whitehall mafia just passed the 28 day law.

Peter Scott

Hmmm, but that'd shift the stumps, though

fred

In article , Mike Dodd
writes

The best, and by far the most difficult solution - to dig out the
stumps, root and all. This is difficult since the neighbour has erected
a series of rented-out garages along the property boundary. I'd expect
the hedge roots to extend underneath the garages.

This would be my choice but would be a lot of work, appropriate tools
would be spade, pickaxe & (best of all) mattock:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp;?id=15181
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Tony Williams

In article ,
Roger wrote:

Walking the parish I like to clock who has fitted it upside
down, not realising what the smaller holes are for.

And their farm gates? :-)

:--)

--
Tony Williams.
Rick

wrote:

[...]

options - in no order

1) grind them down - local tree surgeion will do this for you
2) dig a hole by hand, and hack them out
3) tie 4x4 to the stump and drive - the roots may be too big for this
4) mini digger - the most fun option.
5) put a rockery over the top

Rick
John

Default Hedges - A fine garden feature (was how to remove stumps)

wrote:

[...]

If the roots/stumps are still "live" and assuming the hedge formed the
boundary line, then simply drive posts in the hedge line in approprate gaps.
Stretch a taught wire at suitable heights between them to form a support for
a netting fence which you should erect as accurately as possible to keep to
the line. On the protected side (away from the dogs) plant 12" to 18"
Hawthorn rooted cuttings (obtainable from a local garden centre or Henleys,
Market Weighton, near York.
The netting will provide short term enclosure and the replacement hedge will
grow over a few years to form a sound and secure boundary. Alternative
varieties of hedging may also be employed but for security something with
sharp bits is best. Holly (slow to establish), Blackthorn, etc. a garden
centre can give advice here but avoid dogwood as its a swine to keep in
shape when it gets going

Mike Dodd

John wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all who've replied, I'll pass the options on to my sister.

Regards

Mike
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:18:26 +0000, Mike Dodd
wrote:

| If the roots/stumps are still "live" and assuming the hedge formed the
| boundary line, then simply drive posts in the hedge line in approprate gaps.

Killing live roots/stumps is not difficult. Cut down to a little above
ground level with a more or less horizontal cut. Drill as many large holes
as you can in the stumps. Fill the holes with garden soil, and let the
bacteria/fungi do the work. If any shoots appear next year, use
glyphosate.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Sick and tired of Junk Snail Mail?
John Cartmell

In article , Dave Fawthrop
wrote:
If any shoots appear next year, use glyphosate.

If any shoots appear next year it will indicate that you really should have
give the hedge the chance to be a proper hedge again. ;-(