Default Straightening bar and batten doors ?

My house renovation is, after all these years, at the point where I can
tackle the 'desirables' rather than the 'necessaries'.

One of these is the nice old bar and batten pine doors that are
significantly twisted - the worst is 6cms from top to bottom. It
dawned on me today that none of these doors (there are 3 that really
need doing) have any diagonal cross bracing and I fell to wondering if
I made a frame to force them flat and then put in the braces nailed to
each board whether that would retain the flatness ?

I knowI could rebuild them but I don't think they will take kindly to
be taken to pieces and re-built.

Rob

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
My house renovation is, after all these years, at the point where I can
tackle the 'desirables' rather than the 'necessaries'.

One of these is the nice old bar and batten pine doors that are
significantly twisted - the worst is 6cms from top to bottom. It
dawned on me today that none of these doors (there are 3 that really
need doing) have any diagonal cross bracing and I fell to wondering if
I made a frame to force them flat and then put in the braces nailed to
each board whether that would retain the flatness ?

I knowI could rebuild them but I don't think they will take kindly to
be taken to pieces and re-built.

Rob
do you mean ledge and braced t&G doors

Yes - I've always called them bar and batten, possibly that's the
Scot's term. I've checked with my DIY Manual and if you change
'batten' for 'ledged' then I think we're talking about the same thing.

The book I have shows a framed ledged braced and battened door and one
without a frame. What I've got is T & G boarding which is held
together with 3 'ledges' and no braces. The ledges are some 6" from the
top and bottom and one in the nominal middle. As cheap as they come
perhaps a 100 years ago but now have a lovely soft set honey colour and
are part of the character of the cottage, but it would be nice if they
were straight, hence the question.

Rob

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Yes - I've always called them bar and batten, possibly that's the
Scot's term. I've checked with my DIY Manual and if you change
'batten' for 'ledged' then I think we're talking about the same thing.

The book I have shows a framed ledged braced and battened door and one
without a frame. What I've got is T & G boarding which is held
together with 3 'ledges' and no braces. The ledges are some 6" from the
top and bottom and one in the nominal middle. As cheap as they come
perhaps a 100 years ago but now have a lovely soft set honey colour and
are part of the character of the cottage, but it would be nice if they
were straight, hence the question.

Rob
lie the door on the floor and put something heavy on all 4 corners e.g concrete blocks leave for a couple of days then check to see if the twist is out hope this helps