Stuart Noble

Default garden wall tied to house

What's the best way to isolate a garden wall from the house it's tied
to? The wall's circa 1900 and in pretty bad condition with plants
growing out of the top etc. Damp is migrating into the brickwork at the
back of the house so I either need to set up some kind of vertical damp
course, or possibly put engineering bricks in where it joins the house.
Alas, demolishing it isn't an option.
Any thoughts?
Bob Minchin

Stuart Noble wrote in message ...
What's the best way to isolate a garden wall from the house it's tied
to? The wall's circa 1900 and in pretty bad condition with plants
growing out of the top etc. Damp is migrating into the brickwork at the
back of the house so I either need to set up some kind of vertical damp
course, or possibly put engineering bricks in where it joins the house.
Alas, demolishing it isn't an option.
Any thoughts?

Two parallel slots cut with an angle grinder to give an air gap?
Screwing on a wooden batten temporarily to act as a straight edge can give
neat cuts.
Or does the wall need the support from the house?

Bob

dg

And/or brush on a load of Thompsons silicone water repelant.

dg

Stuart Noble

Bob Minchin wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote in message ...

What's the best way to isolate a garden wall from the house it's tied
to? The wall's circa 1900 and in pretty bad condition with plants
growing out of the top etc. Damp is migrating into the brickwork at the
back of the house so I either need to set up some kind of vertical damp
course, or possibly put engineering bricks in where it joins the house.
Alas, demolishing it isn't an option.
Any thoughts?

Two parallel slots cut with an angle grinder to give an air gap?
Screwing on a wooden batten temporarily to act as a straight edge can give
neat cuts.
Or does the wall need the support from the house?

Yes it needs the house and there's no space for a pier