The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default Grand Designs 9Nov05

Huge wrote:
So, how much *did* it cost in the end? I reckon the overspend was at
least 50% and probably 100% - so it cost £400K, not £200K. (Plus the
plot.)

Don't these minimalist houses look bare and uncomfortable? I suspect
that the unwelcome design principle that has overtaken kitchens and
bathrooms (they're designed to be looked at, not used) has now reached
into the rest of the house... Where were the books? The CDs? I *like*
my clutter! And as for the kitchen, you wouldn't dare put down a
coffee cup. And who cleans all these unending shiny surfaces that look
terrible if they're not polished every day?

And that stupid bath. I noticed they already had some water in the
bath because presumably otherwise when they turn on that "bath
filler" in the ceiling, the water splashes everywhere.

It was a beach house, thats what beach houses are like.

Why have a bath when the sea is on your door step.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Andy

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
Huge wrote:
[...]

Looked ugly and soulless to me. That 'fire' they had in the lounge proved it
to me, it was one of those that looks like a pile of pebbles with some
ghostly heatless flames licking them. A fire with the **** kicked out of it.
Airy and spacious though, I'll give 'em that. Quite probably an eyesore to
look at for anyone looking at the house from the coast side though.

What was all the talk about 'detailing'? There wasn't any on the outside,
just enormous maws of plate glass windows and plain render-covered walls.

Art Nouveau was the last decent period of style we had I reckon. Bauhaus was
the beginning of the end for architectural beauty.

Andy.

Matt

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote:

Why have a bath when the sea is on your door step.

Because things tend to shrink in cold water and the rubber duck tends
to get washed away.

Grand Designs 9Nov05 Mark UK diy 0 November 10th 05 01:52 PM
Grand Designs 9Nov05 Séan Connolly UK diy 0 November 10th 05 01:32 PM
Grand Designs 9Nov05 Séan Connolly UK diy 0 November 10th 05 12:52 PM