Default Converting my gravity fed sytem to mains fed

I hope someoone can help me because i haven't been able to find
anything about this online.

Basically i have just baught a new ground floor flat, it was converted
from a house and so my header tank is located in my bathroom. Hence i
have rubbish head / low water pressure.

I believe that if i convert to mains fed i will have to fit a new
toilet cystern to deal with the increase in pressure. I will also have
to fit a non return valve to prevent me syphoning back into the mains.
t heir is a pipe feeding inot the header tank and one feeding out. Is
it as easy as joining the input to the output pipe?

Also I have a combi boiler.What i am unsure of, is whether the boiler
is mains fed and if the increase in pressure will affect the boiler.
The pressure from the boiler seems to be quite good but i think that
this is because it has a built in pump.

I've been told this is quite a simple job.... i'm just looking for a
bit of reasurance!

Thanks

Mark

Vass

wrote in message
oups.com...
I hope someoone can help me because i haven't been able to find
anything about this online.

Basically i have just baught a new ground floor flat, it was converted
from a house and so my header tank is located in my bathroom. Hence i
have rubbish head / low water pressure.

I believe that if i convert to mains fed i will have to fit a new
toilet cystern to deal with the increase in pressure.

nope just the ball cock valve assembley
--
Vass

Michael Chare

--

Michael Chare

wrote in message
oups.com...
I hope someoone can help me because i haven't been able to find
anything about this online.

Basically i have just baught a new ground floor flat, it was converted
from a house and so my header tank is located in my bathroom. Hence i
have rubbish head / low water pressure.

I believe that if i convert to mains fed i will have to fit a new
toilet cystern to deal with the increase in pressure. I will also have
to fit a non return valve to prevent me syphoning back into the mains.
t heir is a pipe feeding inot the header tank and one feeding out. Is
it as easy as joining the input to the output pipe?

I would be surprised if the only the toilet is fed from the header tank. (unless
other items have been disconnected int he past)

Inside the ball cock you may find a conical restrictor, you just need a smaller
one which you can likely buy, or you may find a suitable one in the ball cock of
the header tank,

Also I have a combi boiler.What i am unsure of, is whether the boiler
is mains fed and if the increase in pressure will affect the boiler.

Turn off incoming cold water stop cock and boiler, then check which hot and cold
taps then have water flowing from them.

The pressure from the boiler seems to be quite good but i think that
this is because it has a built in pump.

I've been told this is quite a simple job.... i'm just looking for a
bit of reasurance!

Just do the work at a time when you can nip out and buy any spares/tools that
you suddenly find you need, as you won't be able to turn your water back on till
the work is completed (unless the toilet has an isolating valve).

Christian McArdle

I believe that if i convert to mains fed i will have to fit a new
toilet cystern to deal with the increase in pressure.

No, the old one will be fine. Most cistern valves would like an insert to
reduce the flow rate to make them more reliable and less noisy. This can
also be emulated by turning down the isolation valve until the flow rate is
acceptable.

I will also have to fit a non return valve to prevent me syphoning back
into the mains.

This would be required if you have any mixer valves, such as shower mixers,
that don't have separate water channels. Kitchen taps designed for the UK
market usually have separate water channels.

t heir is a pipe feeding inot the header tank and one feeding out. Is
it as easy as joining the input to the output pipe?

Pretty much, if you already have a mains capable hot water system. NEVER do
this to an open vented hot water cylinder. Building destruction and probable
death would result.

Also I have a combi boiler.What i am unsure of, is whether the boiler
is mains fed and if the increase in pressure will affect the boiler.

I haven't heard of a combi boiler that wasn't designed for mains pressure
water.

The pressure from the boiler seems to be quite good but i think that
this is because it has a built in pump.

The built in pump is for circulating the primary heating water and has
nothing to do with pumping the water that comes out of the tap. I suppose
you might have some really weird combi that is designed for tanked systems
and does have a built in shower pump, but I've never heard of one.

Christian.