Keith G. Powell

Default TRVs again

I have 8 radiators, all/each fitted with a TRV, all fitted horizontally as
recommended by the manufacturer, although the plumber who fitted them was
not aware of this(I also have a room thermostat, but the TRV in bathroom is
always set to maximum and there is also an automatic bypass internal to my
combi).

The TRVs are birectional so could have been fitted to the flow or return,
but the manufacturer recommends to fit to the return(coolest) end of the
radiators.

The plumber has fitted 6 TRVs to the returns(fortuitously, as he had not
been aware of the manufacturers recommendations), but the remaining 2 on the
flow.

The plumber has (or says he has) balanced the system.

My question is(if he has balanced the system), when the TRVs begin to
control at different temperatures and/orI fully close the 2 TRVs(in
bedrooms) which have been fitted to the flow, will the system still remain
balanced and function correctly?

Keith G. Powell

sPoNiX

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 12:45:53 +0000 (UTC), "Keith G. Powell"
wrote:

[...]

Should do.

The only reason for fitting them on the return is that they are less
affected by radiated/conducted heat from the radiator.

The two TRVs fitted to the flows may beed setting higher for a given
heat output.

sponix
Set Square

Keith G. Powell wrote:

[...]

Yes. It doesn't really matter whether they're on the flow or return as long
as they're configured correctly. [Many bi-directional TRVs have a little
gizmo which has to be set to one of two positions depending on flow
direction].

With an all-TRV system, the main point of balancing is to ensure an even
warm-up- during which time they are all open, anyway. Once rooms get up to
temp and the TRVs start operating, the relative flow between rads is
controlled by the TRVs rather than by the initial balance.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Lobster

Keith G. Powell wrote:

The plumber has (or says he has) balanced the system.

I've never known a plumber to balance a system...

david

Radiators & TRVs Goonerak UK diy 6 June 15th 05 02:18 PM
TRVs on flow or return? IA UK diy 5 February 1st 05 08:13 PM
Adjusting TRVs [email protected] UK diy 9 January 24th 05 10:38 PM
Switching to TRV's Uno Hoo! UK diy 4 January 7th 05 07:55 PM
TRVs, flow switches and boiler cycling Mike Clarke UK diy 18 November 8th 04 05:00 PM