Hamie

Default Latch and Door Handles on FireDoor

On a loft conversion with an FD30 firedoor on the bedroom, is there
anything special in the way of mortice and/or door handles that are
required? Or can I just use an ordinary tubular latch & standard brass
handles?

TIA

Hamish.
Lurch

On or around Sun, 06 Nov 2005 19:11:09 +0000, Hamie
mused:

On a loft conversion with an FD30 firedoor on the bedroom, is there
anything special in the way of mortice and/or door handles that are
required? Or can I just use an ordinary tubular latch & standard brass
handles?

You can use standard locks and latches, but I wouldn't use cheap
handles as the door is obviously heavier and some cheap handles are
****e!
--
| Stuart @ SJW Electrical. Please Reply to group. |
Hamie

Lurch wrote:
On or around Sun, 06 Nov 2005 19:11:09 +0000, Hamie
mused:

On a loft conversion with an FD30 firedoor on the bedroom, is there
anything special in the way of mortice and/or door handles that are
required? Or can I just use an ordinary tubular latch & standard brass
handles?

You can use standard locks and latches, but I wouldn't use cheap
handles as the door is obviously heavier and some cheap handles are
****e!

Cool.

I was planning on solid brass ones (Victorian) to match the rest of the
house. Just worried a bit that I might need something specially fire
rated to keep two jags happy.

John Rumm

Hamie wrote:

On a loft conversion with an FD30 firedoor on the bedroom, is there
anything special in the way of mortice and/or door handles that are
required? Or can I just use an ordinary tubular latch & standard brass
handles?

AFAIK there is no special requirement for the latch. There is a fire
rated standard for the hinges (and there must be three not two) and it
either needs intumescent strips on the top and both sides, or, the door
stops must be at least 25mm thick.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hamie

John Rumm wrote:
Hamie wrote:

On a loft conversion with an FD30 firedoor on the bedroom, is there
anything special in the way of mortice and/or door handles that are
required? Or can I just use an ordinary tubular latch & standard brass
handles?

AFAIK there is no special requirement for the latch. There is a fire
rated standard for the hinges (and there must be three not two) and it
either needs intumescent strips on the top and both sides, or, the door
stops must be at least 25mm thick.

Thanks all. I had the intumescent strips (Door is narrow, so 25mm stops
weren't really wanted) and the 3x firerated hinges, which then made me
think what about the latch... But I couldnt' find special ones so
thought I'd better ask.

many thanks to all.

I also got the concealed closers from screwfix. About 2 quid each
IIRC... I did find a closer (Perko) for about 120 quid... I'm still
wondering if that was a typo on the website...

I think I'm ready to hang it now... I have all the bits finally. As soon
as I get back from watching the AllBlacks thrash Scotland I'll put it up