DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   'Fugee' silicone applicator kit, anyone? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/127979-fugee-silicone-applicator-kit-anyone.html)

Lobster November 5th 05 01:13 PM

'Fugee' silicone applicator kit, anyone?

Has anyone tried one of these gizmos?

It was recommended to me the other day by a kitchen fitter; he reckons
these are the mutt's nuts for achieving a perfect finish/seal using
silicone sealant round a bath or back of a worktop (well, it would need
to be at 10 quid a pop!). Apparently it's made of a special material
which repels the silicone or something so there's no mess or residue?

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/410-13327

Am quite tempted to give it a whirl but wondered if anyone else would
recommend it.

David

Andy Dingley November 5th 05 04:07 PM

'Fugee' silicone applicator kit, anyone?

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 13:13:09 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Has anyone tried one of these gizmos?

Yes, they're wonderful.

A little work with a good block plane and an old washing up bowl and you
can make your own. Use polypropylene of the right stiffness and you need
to get a good feather edge on them. Fibreglass or P38 kits often
include something suitable, but without the rounded corners.

Mike Dodd November 5th 05 05:45 PM

Lobster wrote:
Has anyone tried one of these gizmos?

It was recommended to me the other day by a kitchen fitter; he reckons
these are the mutt's nuts for achieving a perfect finish/seal using
silicone sealant round a bath or back of a worktop (well, it would need
to be at 10 quid a pop!). Apparently it's made of a special material
which repels the silicone or something so there's no mess or residue?

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/410-13327

Am quite tempted to give it a whirl but wondered if anyone else would
recommend it.

David

Got a fuggenboy kit from Screwfix - similar; also, rather handy and work
well. A damned-sight better tool than the plasplug (forget-the-name)
sculpting spatula things

Also, great conversation piece - guys from work were racking their
brains (and sneaking glances at the SF catalogue trying to work out WTF
they were)

Mike Dodd November 7th 05 07:30 AM

Lobster wrote:
Has anyone tried one of these gizmos?

It was recommended to me the other day by a kitchen fitter; he reckons
these are the mutt's nuts for achieving a perfect finish/seal using
silicone sealant round a bath or back of a worktop (well, it would need
to be at 10 quid a pop!). Apparently it's made of a special material
which repels the silicone or something so there's no mess or residue?

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/410-13327

Am quite tempted to give it a whirl but wondered if anyone else would
recommend it.

David

Actually, further to my last reply, just watched the video on the link
you gave and realised that I was using my fuggenboy's wrong; Anyway,
saturday saw me seal the OTHER half of the worktop (don't ask) and I
tried the method on the video WITHOUT ANY MASKING - worked brilliantly.

Highly recommended! (also, watch the video - it looks too staged, but
trust me, they actually do work like they show)