Jerry

Default Ideal Notice Board Material?

I am involved in providing a community notice board and have the following
requirements:

1 Vandal resistant
2 Weatherproof materials
3 Easy to insert drawing pins

1 is being addressed by using a welded steel frame, bolted to a wall,
using hidden (or tamperproof) bolts

2 means basically the material should be rainwater resistant (will not
rot easily)

3 is the killer; people need to be able to press in drawing pins fairly
easily but the pins must hold the notices securely, and the pins must be
fairly easy to remove later.

Can anyone suggest the ideal material for the board? MDF is too hard.

TIA Jerry

--
Replace "+" with "plus" to email me

:::Jerry::::

"Jerry" wrote in message
I am involved in providing a community notice board and have the

following
requirements:

1 Vandal resistant
2 Weatherproof materials
3 Easy to insert drawing pins

snip

Sorry, but doesn't each and every one of the above three cancel out
each of the other two!

For example, if the Drawing pins are easy to remove then a vandal can
easily remove anything held by the pins and if it's waterproof surely
sticking pins into it could or will compromise the materials
waterproof status?..

John Schmitt

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:45:38 -0000, Jerry wrote:

I am involved in providing a community notice board and have the
following
requirements:

1 Vandal resistant
2 Weatherproof materials
3 Easy to insert drawing pins

I think it is going to have to be enclosed. Anything soft enough to insert
pins into will be easily vandalised. Also, your notices will not be
protected from the weather, of which the South is currently receiving
ample amounts.

John Schmitt

Rumble

Jerry said the following on 03/11/2005 11:45:
I am involved in providing a community notice board and have the following
requirements:

1 Vandal resistant
2 Weatherproof materials
3 Easy to insert drawing pins

1 is being addressed by using a welded steel frame, bolted to a wall,
using hidden (or tamperproof) bolts

2 means basically the material should be rainwater resistant (will not
rot easily)

3 is the killer; people need to be able to press in drawing pins fairly
easily but the pins must hold the notices securely, and the pins must be
fairly easy to remove later.

Can anyone suggest the ideal material for the board? MDF is too hard.

TIA Jerry

http://www.sundeala.co.uk/
Dave Fawthrop

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 11:45:38 -0000, "Jerry" wrote:

| 3 is the killer; people need to be able to press in drawing pins fairly
| easily but the pins must hold the notices securely, and the pins must be
| fairly easy to remove later.

I had some years ago, which was like soft MFD, produced specifically for
notice boards, and worked a treat. Not sure what it was called, but I got
it from a shed. Come to think of it I have some on my wall ATM, but it is
covered with yellow baize. Continue searching.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk

Jerry wrote:
I am involved in providing a community notice board and have the following
requirements:

1 Vandal resistant
2 Weatherproof materials
3 Easy to insert drawing pins

1 is being addressed by using a welded steel frame, bolted to a wall,
using hidden (or tamperproof) bolts

2 means basically the material should be rainwater resistant (will not
rot easily)

3 is the killer; people need to be able to press in drawing pins fairly
easily but the pins must hold the notices securely, and the pins must be
fairly easy to remove later.

Can anyone suggest the ideal material for the board? MDF is too hard.

TIA Jerry

Ideal, but unlikely:

You know those lint rollers you rinse clean, that stuff sticks notices
firm with no need for pins, is fully weatherproof, and easily washed.
But does anyone know what its called and where to get it?

NT

Chris Bacon

Jerry wrote:
I am involved in providing a community notice board and have the following
requirements:

1 Vandal resistant
2 Weatherproof materials
3 Easy to insert drawing pins

Can anyone suggest the ideal material for the board? MDF is too hard.

Sundeala K is normally used, but isn't very weatherproof.
Tony Bryer

In article , Dave Fawthrop wrote:
I had some years ago, which was like soft MFD, produced specifically for
notice boards, and worked a treat. Not sure what it was called, but I got
it from a shed.

Sundeala : http://www.sundeala.co.uk/

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

nightjar

"Jerry" wrote in message
I am involved in providing a community notice board and have the following
requirements:

1 Vandal resistant
2 Weatherproof materials
3 Easy to insert drawing pins

1 is being addressed by using a welded steel frame, bolted to a wall,
using hidden (or tamperproof) bolts

2 means basically the material should be rainwater resistant (will not
rot easily)

3 is the killer; people need to be able to press in drawing pins fairly
easily but the pins must hold the notices securely, and the pins must be
fairly easy to remove later.

Can anyone suggest the ideal material for the board? MDF is too hard.

Martensitic (400 series) stainless steel, or cheaper plastic coated mild
steel, using small, powerful magnets instead of drawing pins.

Colin Bignell

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Jerry wrote:
2 means basically the material should be rainwater resistant (will not
rot easily)

3 is the killer; people need to be able to press in drawing pins
fairly easily but the pins must hold the notices securely, and the pins
must be fairly easy to remove later.

Can anyone suggest the ideal material for the board? MDF is too hard.

MDF isn't rainwater resistant either.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

The Natural Philosopher

Jerry wrote:

I am involved in providing a community notice board and have the following
requirements:

1 Vandal resistant
2 Weatherproof materials
3 Easy to insert drawing pins

1 is being addressed by using a welded steel frame, bolted to a wall,
using hidden (or tamperproof) bolts

2 means basically the material should be rainwater resistant (will not
rot easily)

3 is the killer; people need to be able to press in drawing pins fairly
easily but the pins must hold the notices securely, and the pins must be
fairly easy to remove later.

Can anyone suggest the ideal material for the board? MDF is too hard.

I'd use some form of plastic foam actually.

Of course this is not totally vandal proof..there is always going to be
a bit of an issue that something you can stick a pin in, can generally
be ripped to pieces with a knife...

My choice would be blue high density insulation foam, covered in fablon
or painted. If it gets ripped up, replace the foam. It can be glued in
place with epoxy.

You may want - if using thin foam - to put a stiffer backing material on
as well. Marine ply.

TIA Jerry

Jeremy Goff

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Jerry wrote:
2 means basically the material should be rainwater resistant (will

not
rot easily)

3 is the killer; people need to be able to press in drawing pins
fairly easily but the pins must hold the notices securely, and the pins
must be fairly easy to remove later.

Can anyone suggest the ideal material for the board? MDF is too hard.

MDF isn't rainwater resistant either.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I made a bird table from some spare MDF, it's still going strong after 3 or
4 winters!

Jerry

Jeremy Goff

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"Jerry" wrote in message
I am involved in providing a community notice board and have the

following
requirements:

1 Vandal resistant
2 Weatherproof materials
3 Easy to insert drawing pins

snip

Sorry, but doesn't each and every one of the above three cancel out
each of the other two!

For example, if the Drawing pins are easy to remove then a vandal can
easily remove anything held by the pins and if it's waterproof surely
sticking pins into it could or will compromise the materials
waterproof status?..

Maybe they seem contradictory.
Vandals seems to wish to rip the whole thing off the wall!
The little old lady from the local flower arranging club accepts her notice
may be removed but her fingers cannot push drawing pins into MDF.
Yes the pinholes will allow water ingress.

Jerry

Chris Bacon

Jeremy Goff wrote:
The little old lady from the local flower arranging club accepts her notice
may be removed but her fingers cannot push drawing pins into MDF.

I don't think *I* could! Mind you, I have not tried.
Jerry

"Owain" wrote in message
Rob Morley wrote:
How about using perforated metal sheet, with plastic golf
tees jammed into the holes instead of pins?

How about using a proper exterior noticeboard with glazed, lockable doors.

Owain

This particular notice board is to be "open and available" to the community,
i.e. if it was locked then it would need to be unlocked whenever someone
wanted to post a notice

Jerry

Rob Morley

In article , owain47125
@stirlingcity.coo.uk says...
Rob Morley wrote:
How about using a proper exterior noticeboard with glazed, lockable doors.

Because you need to get the key in order to add or remove anything?

Yes, that's what makes it "vandal resistant" and stops the neds writing
rude words on the WI posters.

That won't stop them from scribbling/spraying/burning/scratching/
smashing the glazing.

Jerry wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
Rob Morley wrote:
How about using perforated metal sheet, with plastic golf
tees jammed into the holes instead of pins?

How about using a proper exterior noticeboard with glazed, lockable doors.

Owain

This particular notice board is to be "open and available" to the community,
i.e. if it was locked then it would need to be unlocked whenever someone
wanted to post a notice

Jerry

Youre asking an impossible set of requirements. Pinnable means soft
means vandalisable. No glass & lock means the notices are vandalisable.

Nearest I could come would be plastic foam to take the pins, since its
non rotting, covered with a close knit stainless steel mesh: this gives
as much protection as one realistically can to the foam, while allowing
pins in.

Youre really not going to get anything better.

(I still like the gloopy board idea myself.)

NT

dead power supply board in Computer Projector jeanluc Electronics Repair 1 November 2nd 05 07:39 AM
Tek DM44 Semiconductive PC Board Baytekk Electronics Repair 7 July 16th 05 09:16 AM
LeCroy Oscilloscope/ VME/ CAMAC/ NIM/ FASTBUS repair fernando1222 Electronics Repair 0 June 7th 05 09:18 PM
Unwarping wood Phil Addison UK diy 0 May 10th 04 07:12 PM
chess board needs some pieces... Silvan Woodworking 17 October 2nd 03 11:20 PM