Junior Member

Default Gas only?

If I get a non registered corgi plumber to do all the water plumbing (he is quite cheap £80 a day) do you think I would manage to get a Corgi plumber to connect up and check the gas for me?

Does a plumber actually have to be Corgi to fit the gas or can you just get a Corgi plumber to check a non Corgi plumbers work?
mark

--
andymason79

It would take about 2 minutes to find the answer. Try using something like
GOOGLE, or is it another question you are trying to ask.

If I get a non registered corgi plumber to do all the water plumbing (he
is quite cheap £80 a day) do you think I would manage to get a Corgi
plumber to connect up and check the gas for me?

Should be able to

Does a plumber actually have to be Corgi to fit the gas or can you just
get a Corgi plumber to check a non Corgi plumbers work

Not sure if it is legal, I know up in Liverpool lots of corgi guys sign
off on other guys (non corgi) installation work.

Andy

"andymason79" wrote in message

If I get a non registered corgi plumber to do all the water plumbing (he
is quite cheap £80 a day) do you think I would manage to get a Corgi
plumber to connect up and check the gas for me?

Does a plumber actually have to be Corgi to fit the gas or can you just
get a Corgi plumber to check a non Corgi plumbers work?

--
andymason79

This query keeps coming up on this NG. Apparently the installer simply has
to be 'competent', the law does not stipulate what 'competent' is. Obviously
if your house burns down or you all get CO poisoning the installer was not
competent. Quite a few people on this NG do their own gas work. I believe
that from this year the BCO ought to be notified of new combi installation,
but that's only to check if it's energy efficient.

There are question marks over guarantees and insurance if anything goes
wrong, but you takes your chances.

Andy.

powerstation

"Andy" wrote in message

[...]

No not quite correct, you have to be competent to diy but if you get an
installer then the installer must be corgi registered by law, to install and
commission gas installations.

Pete

Andy

"powerstation" wrote in message

"Andy" wrote in message

[...]

True: in fact, from memory, isn't it true that the merely 'competent' person
may not install installations for reward? That would mean that you could,
for instance, install a combi for your old Mum etc, if you do it for free.

Andy.

True: in fact, from memory, isn't it true that the merely 'competent' person
may not install installations for reward? That would mean that you could,
for instance, install a combi for your old Mum etc, if you do it for free

I believe that doing it for anyone else would be construed as doing it
for
reward, due to legal precedent.
Now if you did it as a "gift", like a Christmas present install of new
gas fire,
surely the legals could not construe that as for profit ?
Simon.

Ed Sirett

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:15:40 +0000, Andy wrote:

[...]

Whilst the competent person discussions have been chewed over and hung out
to dry many many times. As far as legalities are concerned the whole
matter has now been completely torpedoed by the notification rules which
came into force on 1/4/5.

Installing a domestic heating appliance (gas or otherwise) is notifiable
work.