Chris Melluish

Default New SDS drill - I think it is is faulty

After advice from this group I ordered myself a Makita 2450 from Lawson's.

It arrived this morning, and when I tried it out I was not impressed.

The chuck seems slightly out of true - at first I thought I was using a bent
drill bit but it was the same with all bits I tried.

I phoned up Lawson's who said they would arrange for it to be collected on
Monday.

Later, when was out, a man from Lawson's phoned and spoke to my wife. He
said that the fault I had described was normal, and was not grounds for
replacing the drill. He was going to phone again later, but did not.

If I had spent £30 on the drill I would have been unhappy, and having spent
over £100 I am very unhappy.

Am I being too fussy?

What is the correct name for the fault for when I talk to them again?

--
Chris Melluish

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Chris Melluish wrote:
After advice from this group I ordered myself a Makita 2450 from
Lawson's.

It arrived this morning, and when I tried it out I was not impressed.

The chuck seems slightly out of true - at first I thought I was using
a bent drill bit but it was the same with all bits I tried.

I phoned up Lawson's who said they would arrange for it to be
collected on Monday.

Later, when was out, a man from Lawson's phoned and spoke to my
wife. He said that the fault I had described was normal, and was not
grounds for replacing the drill. He was going to phone again later,
but did not.

If I had spent £30 on the drill I would have been unhappy, and having
spent over £100 I am very unhappy.

Am I being too fussy?

What is the correct name for the fault for when I talk to them again?

Centrifugle axis
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Er, make that an 'A' and drop the 'E'. :-)

Centrifugal axis

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

EricP

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:30:47 +0000 (UTC), "Chris Melluish"
wrote:

After advice from this group I ordered myself a Makita 2450 from Lawson's.

It arrived this morning, and when I tried it out I was not impressed.

The chuck seems slightly out of true - at first I thought I was using a bent
drill bit but it was the same with all bits I tried.

I phoned up Lawson's who said they would arrange for it to be collected on
Monday.

Later, when was out, a man from Lawson's phoned and spoke to my wife. He
said that the fault I had described was normal, and was not grounds for
replacing the drill. He was going to phone again later, but did not.

If I had spent £30 on the drill I would have been unhappy, and having spent
over £100 I am very unhappy.

Am I being too fussy?

No, apart from hammering holes in things, the chuck is also meant to
go round at speed. An off-centre one is dangerous as the drill will
wobble in your hands and you could damage the work piece or more
likely yourself.

I am surprised at a crap Makita, I always regarded them as the bees
knees.

tony sayer

In article , EricP
writes
wrote:

[...]

Same here!. Excellent bit of kit. Ask them to change it for another one,
very surprised that its faulty in the first place!....
--
Tony Sayer

Chris Bacon

tony sayer wrote:
EricP writes
"Chris Melluish" wrote:
After advice from this group I ordered myself a Makita 2450 from Lawson's.
The chuck seems slightly out of true - at first I thought I was using a bent
drill bit but it was the same with all bits I tried.
If I had spent £30 on the drill I would have been unhappy, and having spent
over £100 I am very unhappy.
Am I being too fussy?

I am surprised at a crap Makita, I always regarded them as the bees
knees.

Same here!. Excellent bit of kit. Ask them to change it for another one,
very surprised that its faulty in the first place!....

They've started making them in China, and knocking them out at
the same price as before?
Lee

EricP wrote:

I am surprised at a crap Makita, I always regarded them as the bees
knees.

I've seen some very realistic looking counterfeit "Makita" products
offered for sale...
But obviously not from a proper company

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
EricP

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 23:07:51 GMT, Lee
wrote:

EricP wrote:

I am surprised at a crap Makita, I always regarded them as the bees
knees.

I've seen some very realistic looking counterfeit "Makita" products
offered for sale...
But obviously not from a proper company

Lee

No but I have!
You may have thrown light on the subject. )
Mark

Chris Melluish wrote in message
After advice from this group I ordered myself a Makita 2450 from Lawson's.

It arrived this morning, and when I tried it out I was not impressed.

The chuck seems slightly out of true - at first I thought I was using a

bent
drill bit but it was the same with all bits I tried.

Are you trying this with a SDS drill Bit
or with a chuck adapter and straight shank bit.

-

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Mark wrote:
Chris Melluish wrote in message
After advice from this group I ordered myself a Makita 2450 from
Lawson's.

It arrived this morning, and when I tried it out I was not impressed.

The chuck seems slightly out of true - at first I thought I was
using a bent drill bit but it was the same with all bits I tried.

Are you trying this with a SDS drill Bit
or with a chuck adapter and straight shank bit.

-

Still shouldn't waver off centre with chuck adaptor inserted.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Chris Bacon

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Mark wrote:
Are you trying this with a SDS drill Bit
or with a chuck adapter and straight shank bit.

Still shouldn't waver off centre with chuck adaptor inserted.

'Twill be very sloppy, though...
Chris Melluish

"Mark" wrote in message

Chris Melluish wrote in message
After advice from this group I ordered myself a Makita 2450 from
Lawson's.

It arrived this morning, and when I tried it out I was not impressed.

The chuck seems slightly out of true - at first I thought I was using a

bent
drill bit but it was the same with all bits I tried.

Are you trying this with a SDS drill Bit
or with a chuck adapter and straight shank bit.

Various SDS bits, including the Makita ones supplied with the drill.

--
Chris Melluish

Mark

"Mark" wrote in message

The chuck seems slightly out of true - at first I thought I was using a

bent
drill bit but it was the same with all bits I tried.

Are you trying this with a SDS drill Bit
or with a chuck adapter and straight shank bit.

Various SDS bits, including the Makita ones supplied with the drill.

Ok I asked because ive seen poorly manufactured chuck adapters that show
this symptom, even jacob,s ones.
I would try drilling a 10mm hole with a short bit and a LOW speed in
something hard and see if the drill _body_ wobbles excessively, if so send
it back.

-

Peter Parry

wrote:

Later, when was out, a man from Lawson's phoned and spoke to my wife. He
said that the fault I had described was normal, and was not grounds for
replacing the drill.

What exactly was the fault you had described?

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Chris Melluish

wrote:

Later, when was out, a man from Lawson's phoned and spoke to my wife. He
said that the fault I had described was normal, and was not grounds for
replacing the drill.

What exactly was the fault you had described?

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

I think I said something like it was a bit wobbly like I was using a bent
bit, but it was the same with all bits I tried.

--
Chris Melluish

Doctor Drivel

[...]

Typical. You should have bought a Ryobi. Send it back and get your money
back too. Screwfix have a Ryobi for £80. Or go to Aldi or Lidl and get two
£25 jobs.

Doctor Drivel

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

[...]

I bought a Power Craft SDS from Aldi for a relative. I have a Kress, and I
am very happy with it - at least equal, if not better quality as a Makita.
If the Kress died tomorrow I would buy the Aldi SDS. It is 900w and
terrific. It goes very well, as good as any branded pro tool. Looks like
the Makita. Made in Austria I believe. You can get 5 Aldi SDS drills for
one Makita. Buy four and still have change.

I was in Aldi today just looking and saw a reciprocating saw at £20. It is
well made and solid. A few tradesmen were there buying £13 planers. I got
talking and they said the saw was superb as they had bought one about 6
months ago. They said the plane blades are about £10 to replace. So, they
have a spare plane so that when they hit a nail and dull the blade, then can
just pick up another plane and get the job done. I bought the saw, which
comes with 4 blades. They also agreed with me that Bosch are crap, saying
one jigsaw melted. They rated the Makita jigsaw which they mainly use for
cutting metal and use a router for most other jobs that others use jigsaws
for.

Another older man joining in the banter. He was a retired carpenter/joiner.
He was telling us about his £600 Makita radial arm saw. He said he bought a
Parkside 1,500w circular saw from Lidl. He said it was very good indeed and
a snip at £25. The latest saw has a softstart and variable speed and laser
too if that takes your fancy. He rated highly Power Craft and Parkside
tools. He said all Makita did was copy the functions of other makers -
typically Japanese. He said he also bought a Power Craft pillar drill.
There was some small problem after a few months and the factory in Austria
mailed him the small part. There is backup.

I asked a couple of assistants at Aldi if they get any returns on power
tools, He said very few. I asked him about the SDS drill. He said one did
come back, for something trivial, like the guide.

There are still a number of SDS drills in the stores. All power tools have
a 3 year guarantee and the SDS drill, at least, has a six months
professional warrantee, so no low level DIY product, more a semi pro range.

The problem with Aldi and Lidl is that all these tools are only ever on
specials, so you have to know when they are available, via the web. Aldi do
not list all their specials on the web. So, you can't just go to these
places at any time and buy an SDS drill, that is why on Monday and Thursday
mornings the trade in the first few hours are the main buyers of the tools.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Doctor Drivel wrote:
[...]

You certainly live up to your name.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Doctor Drivel

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
Doctor Drivel wrote:
[...]

Yes Sir Bengy, I live up to being a part time world-wide playboy.

andy hall

I simply don't believe that any worthwhile tradesman would buy tools
for serious use in Aldi. The kind of nonsense that you are spouting,
together with the inaccuracies suggests that this is either a total
fabrication or that these gentlemen were also buying new spurs.

Why would anybody want four Chinese SDS drills?

Do you seriously believe that anybody is making drill presses in
Austria to be sold in Aldi?

Regarding jig saws, have you actually ever used one? If you read any
of the proper woodworking reviews and comments, you would learn that
the Bosch professional range are the best available - assuming perhaps
that one doesn't buy Festool.

I would be interested to know the model number of the Makita radial arm
saw that the so-called retired carpenter joiner is talking about.
They were one of the originators of sliding compound mitre saws after
DeWalt. DW are one of the last remaining manufacturers of radial arm
saws. They have gone out of fashion for the most part but portable
circular saws are not the replacement.

Your last three paragraphs are contradictory nonsense.

- Of course Aldi say they don't get returns on power tools. For one
thing it would cost more in petrol to get back there than the sale
price of most of them. For the other, do you seriously believe that
they would say they do when there's a stack that they are trying to
shift so that they can put tired looking cauliflowers in the places
occupied by the pallet of screwdrivers.

- The offered warranty has absolutely nothing to do with the product
quality at this end of the market. It is purely the numbers game.
They know quite well what the return rate will be and simply factor
that into the margin.

- The problem with Aldo and Lidl is that they are shifters of cheap
junk at low prices. That's it. It's all about making stock turns in
the fastest possible time, nothing to do with anything that's worth
having unless your sole criterion is price and you are gullible enough
to believe that low price equates to a bargain.

Doctor Drivel

"andy hall" aka Matt wrote in message
oups.com...

I simply don't believe that any worthwhile
tradesman would buy tools for serious
use in Aldi.

Matt, the place is full of them

The kind of nonsense that you are spouting,

Matt, what nonsense would that be?

together with the inaccuracies

Matt, what inaccuracies would they be?

suggests that this is either a total
fabrication or that these gentlemen
were also buying new spurs.

Matt, unlike yourself, I don't make things up.

Why would anybody want four Chinese SDS drills?

To drill holes?

Do you seriously believe that anybody
is making drill presses in
Austria to be sold in Aldi?

Matt, do have any concrete evidence to prove otherwise, or are you going to
make things up again?

Regarding jig saws, have you actually ever used one?

Matt, far too many.

If you read any
of the proper woodworking reviews
and comments, you would learn that
the Bosch professional range are the
best available - assuming perhaps
that one doesn't buy Festool.

One melted on these fellows. Bosch are crap in my opinion. They just make
crap tools. Good design, crap manufacture.

I would be interested to know the model
number of the Makita radial arm
saw that the so-called retired carpenter
joiner is talking about. They were one of
the originators of sliding compound mitre
saws after DeWalt.

He said the number, but I never remembered.

DW are one of the last remaining
manufacturers of radial arm
saws. They have gone out of fashion
for the most part but portable
circular saws are not the replacement.

Your last three paragraphs are contradictory nonsense.

Matt, they pure wisdom.

- Of course Aldi say they don't get
returns on power tools.

This was a couple of workers there, not the manager.

For one thing it would cost more in petrol
to get back there than the sale
price of most of them.

But the sale price is well worth it - always specials.

For the other, do you seriously believe that
they would say they do when there's a stack
that they are trying to shift so that they can
put tired looking cauliflowers in the places
occupied by the pallet of screwdrivers.

Matt, the tools have their own sections. And caulies are good too.

- The offered warranty has absolutely
nothing to do with the product
quality at this end of the market.

It must have Matt. They stand by their products.

It is purely the numbers game.
They know quite well what the return
rate will be and simply factor
that into the margin.

If they were as bad as you make out, who has never seen one, they would not
sell them

- The problem with Aldo and Lidl is that
they are shifters of cheap junk at low prices.

Cheap? yes. Matt, not junk.

That's it. It's all about making stock turns in
the fastest possible time, nothing to do with
anything that's worth having unless your sole
criterion is price and you are gullible enough
to believe that low price equates to a bargain.

Or we could all be gullible and think high price and misplaced branding is
well worth it. This thread is about an expensive tool by a leading brand
that is absolutely crap.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article s.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
I bought a Power Craft SDS from Aldi for a relative.

Strange the way you do everything for a relative. Like flooding their
house through not knowing how to join plastic pipe.

I have a Kress, and I am very happy with it - at least equal, if not
better quality as a Makita. If the Kress died tomorrow I would buy the
Aldi SDS. It is 900w and terrific. It goes very well, as good as any
branded pro tool. Looks like the Makita.

If you want a Makita, best to buy one, rather than one which simply looks
like it. But then you never actually use these things but just look at
them?

Made in Austria I believe. You can get 5 Aldi SDS drills for one
Makita. Buy four and still have change.

Perhaps you'll now be recommending 'combi's' in the same fashion?

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article s.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

I bought a Power Craft SDS from Aldi for a relative.

Strange

snip senile drivel

This is what happens when children are not chastised.

John Rumm

Chris Melluish wrote:

The chuck seems slightly out of true - at first I thought I was using a bent
drill bit but it was the same with all bits I tried.

Am I being too fussy?

No, it ought to be spot on. Having said that there is more play with a
SDS bit than you get with a conventional chuck and bit. Have you tried
drilling with it? If it wobbles the body of the drill about in sympathy
with the eccentricity of the bit, then you certainly have a problem. You
may however find that it centres correctly during drilling / afterwards.

(I did notice a similar effect with my one once - but you could only see
the problem when spinning the drill in free air not in use. It turned
out to be caused by the (then very new) rubber nose cone springing back
into position slightly lopsided. Retracting it and releasing it was
enough to fix it. Never noticed it since)

What is the correct name for the fault for when I talk to them again?

"Eccentricity" is the word I would go for.

--
Cheers,

John.

tony sayer

In article , John
Rumm writes
Chris Melluish wrote:

[...]

Just had a close look at mine and its perfick with both chucks

Wonder if the O/P had a counterfeit one perhaps as has been
suggested?....
--
Tony Sayer

The3rd Earl Of Derby

tony sayer wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm writes
Chris Melluish wrote:

[...]

I'm jst wondering....
Scenario: bloke buys a Makita SDS drill recieves it takes the covers off,
puts new covers and chuck on his old drill sends it back for a refund, shop
try it out without a drill bit in place,finds its ok and puts it back on
the shelf.

Possible. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

--s-p-o-n-i-x--

wrote:

After advice from this group I ordered myself a Makita 2450 from Lawson's.

It arrived this morning, and when I tried it out I was not impressed.

The chuck seems slightly out of true - at first I thought I was using a bent
drill bit but it was the same with all bits I tried.

Fwiw, I have a £25 'Challenge' drill from Argos and there is no
visible wobble in the drill bit. Even using the SDS to conventional
chuck adaptor there is no wobble.

sponix
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

After advice from this group I ordered myself a Makita 2450 from

Lawson's.

It arrived this morning, and when I tried it out I was not impressed.

The chuck seems slightly out of true - at first I thought I was using a

bent
drill bit but it was the same with all bits I tried.

Fwiw, I have a £25 'Challenge' drill from Argos and there is no
visible wobble in the drill bit. Even using the SDS to conventional
chuck adaptor there is no wobble.

sponix

The £35-40 Challenge is supposed to be a good drill.

david lang

Doctor Drivel wrote:

The £35-40 Challenge is supposed to be a good drill.

I'm well pleased with mine.

Dave

--s-p-o-n-i-x--

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:17:42 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

After advice from this group I ordered myself a Makita 2450 from

Lawson's.

It arrived this morning, and when I tried it out I was not impressed.

The chuck seems slightly out of true - at first I thought I was using a

bent
drill bit but it was the same with all bits I tried.

Fwiw, I have a £25 'Challenge' drill from Argos and there is no
visible wobble in the drill bit. Even using the SDS to conventional
chuck adaptor there is no wobble.

sponix

The £35-40 Challenge is supposed to be a good drill.

It could well be the same drill. I bought mine in a sale.

sponix
andy hall

The correct name for the fault is that you have paid a good price for
what should be and normally is a good quality drill.

I would suggest contacting Lawson and giving them the choice of
replacement or cancellation of the transaction with your card company.
End of discussion.

Chris Melluish

"AJB" wrote in message
.. Take a note of the serial number, would you? I've just ordered one
from Lawsons, too - so I don't want yours if it goes back!

0224148.

--
Chris Melluish

Chris Melluish

Default New SDS drill - I think it is is faulty - AJB please read

"AJB" wrote in message
.. Take a note of the serial number, would you? I've just ordered one
from Lawsons, too - so I don't want yours if it goes back!

How well did it work when you got it - I assume you have got it by now.

--
Chris Melluish

Drill help barry martin Home Repair 0 November 2nd 04 11:27 PM
Measuring, lining up & drilling holes Daven Thrice Metalworking 23 September 14th 04 08:33 PM
deep hole question Bill Chernoff Metalworking 14 June 18th 04 05:36 PM
how to drill post holes in solid rock klim Home Repair 13 March 9th 04 02:41 AM
Tool sharpening in general ss Metalworking 4 October 28th 03 12:55 PM