Dave Fawthrop

Default uk.d-i-y FAQ

I note that there are many good FAQs about individual things to do with
d-i-y about, power tools, cement and the like.

I wondered if anyone would be willing to write a general uk.d-i-y FAQ, and
post it say weekly.

A simple list of the URLs of the existing FAQs, would IMO be all that is
required.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Lobster

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

I wondered if anyone would be willing to write a general uk.d-i-y FAQ, and
post it say weekly.

What, like
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/msg/459dc050dda8b84a?hl=en,
you mean? Phil hasn't sent it out for a bit, AFAICS though.

David
Dave Fawthrop

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:02:55 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| I wondered if anyone would be willing to write a general uk.d-i-y FAQ, and
| post it say weekly.
|
| What, like
| http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/msg/459dc050dda8b84a?hl=en,
| you mean? Phil hasn't sent it out for a bit, AFAICS though.

Phil Addison Aug 22, 11:42 pm

What it needs is posting regularly, say weekly.

I note the attempt to make it X-No-Archive which for a FAQ is insane.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Phil Addison

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:18:22 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

| On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:02:55 GMT, Lobster
| wrote:
| | Dave Fawthrop wrote:

| | http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/msg/459dc050dda8b84a?hl=en,
| | you mean? Phil hasn't sent it out for a bit, AFAICS though.

Seems there has been a hic-cup with the FAQ posts - thanks for drawing
it to my attention.

uk.* FAQs really should be posted to both the relevant newsgroup and
uk.answers, but that requires a little organisation.

Good point; uk.answers now added to the groups list.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 15:41:52 GMT, Phil Addison
wrote:

| On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:18:22 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Dave Fawthrop
| wrote:
|
| | On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:02:55 GMT, Lobster
| | wrote:
| | | Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| | | http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/msg/459dc050dda8b84a?hl=en,
| | | you mean? Phil hasn't sent it out for a bit, AFAICS though.
|
| Seems there has been a hic-cup with the FAQ posts - thanks for drawing
| it to my attention.
|
| uk.* FAQs really should be posted to both the relevant newsgroup and
| uk.answers, but that requires a little organisation.
|
| Good point; uk.answers now added to the groups list.

Nope it is moderated ng,
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.answers.html
you will have to contact
Charles Lindsey
I would not bother about news.answers in this case
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Phil Addison

wrote:

| On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:18:22 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Dave Fawthrop
| wrote:
|
| | On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:02:55 GMT, Lobster
| | wrote:
| | | Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| | | http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/msg/459dc050dda8b84a?hl=en,
| | | you mean? Phil hasn't sent it out for a bit, AFAICS though.
|
| Seems there has been a hic-cup with the FAQ posts - thanks for drawing
| it to my attention.
|
| uk.* FAQs really should be posted to both the relevant newsgroup and
| uk.answers, but that requires a little organisation.
|
| Good point; uk.answers now added to the groups list.

Nope it is moderated ng,
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.answers.html
you will have to contact
Charles Lindsey

Thanks - thought it might be, but their FAQ isn't on the server ;-)

I would not bother about news.answers in this case

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:15:56 GMT, Phil Addison
wrote:

| Thanks - thought it might be, but their FAQ isn't on the server ;-)

It is on news.individual.net

Charter of uk.answers
(Moderated)
uk.answers is a group for the cross-posting of FAQs and other regular
postings made to the uk.* newsgroups, thus providing a convenient
repository which is easily searched for information relevant to any uk.*
newsgroup.
uk.answers forms part of the global news.answers system (which includes
*.answers groups for many hierarchies). All articles in uk.answers will
normally be crossposted to news.answers. However, it is required that
postings to uk.answers normally be NOT crossposted from any further
*.answers groups; this is to ensure that uk.answers is small enough that
downloading the whole group will not be burdensome to servers of modest
size.

The news.answers group, and all the other *.answers groups are moderated by
unusual means, as described in the "Introduction to the *.answers
newsgroups"
http://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/usenet/news-info/news.answers/news-answers/introduction
and, in more detail, in the "*.answers submission guidelines"
http://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/usenet/news-info/news.answers/news-answers/guidelines.
Articles in all the *.answers newsgroup are required to adhere to certain
formatting requirements, including some extra "auxiliary headers" within
the body of the article specifying, for example, an Archive-name and a
Posting-Frequency. Once the format of an article has been approved by the
news.answers moderators (this can be a lengthy process), permission is
given for the author to post the article himself. Note that articles posted
to the *.answers groups without the permission of the moderators, or which
do not adhere to the agreed format, will be detected and are liable to
cancellation.

Two additional services are provided by the moderators of news.answers. One
is an optional service for having your article reposted automatically at
the prescribed intervals (with proper Supersedes and Expires headers). The
other is an automatic archival service which is replicated on many servers
worldwide. The most convenient place to pick up the archives is at
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers.

The name in the auxiliary Archive-name header of all articles posted to
uk.answers will begin with "UK/".

Moderation Info
The moderator of uk.answers will be
Charles Lindsey
and the moderation submission address will be

Articles submitted directly to the moderators of news.answers will normally
be forwarded to the UK moderator for attention. The moderators of
news.answers have agreed to this arrangement.
The UK moderator is really a front-end for the news.answers moderators. He
will normally vet the proposed format of the articles, agree an
Archive-name with the author, and then submit the article to the
news.answers moderators for final approval. The news.answers moderators
will then inform the author about arrangements for regular posting in
accordance with their standard procedures.

It is not the function of the UK moderator to determine what articles
should and should not be approved for uk.answers. The sole criteria are
that they meet the requirements for news.answers (namely they must be
regular informational postings), that they are formatted correctly, and
that they satisfy the additional cross-posting rules for uk.answers. In the
event of warfare breaking out between the authors of rival FAQs, he may use
his good offices to restore the peace, and may seek advice from the UK
Usenet Committee as required.

Newsgroups line
uk.answers Repository for periodic UK specific USENET
articles. (Moderated)
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk