Peter Twydell

Default Freezer in garage

The house we're moving to has an integrated freezer in the kitchen and
no suitable space indoors for another one. Our present one is knackered,
so it won't be coming with us. We will have to put one in the garage
(SWMBO thinks the car is going in there too, but once my workshop is set
up...). I've looked at the Google newsgroups and the latest
recommendations, often for pricey Liebherrs, are two years or so old.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable less expensive chest
freezer of about 280-300 litres? Or are modern freezers much of a
muchness? Which? reports would suggest this is the case.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Brian Reay

"Peter Twydell" wrote in message
The house we're moving to has an integrated freezer in the kitchen and no
suitable space indoors for another one. Our present one is knackered, so
it won't be coming with us. We will have to put one in the garage (SWMBO
thinks the car is going in there too, but once my workshop is set up...).
I've looked at the Google newsgroups and the latest recommendations, often
for pricey Liebherrs, are two years or so old.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable less expensive chest
freezer of about 280-300 litres? Or are modern freezers much of a
muchness? Which? reports would suggest this is the case.

We bought a cheapie ( Frigidaire @ £99) one some years back (probably 15
years) as a back up as our main one (a far more expensive Whirlpool) was
very unreliable at the time.

It spent several years in large (unheated) shed and ever since has been in
an unheated integral garage. Never had a problem with it.

We had a "max and min" sensor in for some time while it was in the shed, the
temperature never varied by a noticeable amount summer to winter over
several years (until the sensor got dropped!).

--
73
Brian, G8OSN

chris French

In message , Peter Twydell
writes
The house we're moving to has an integrated freezer in the kitchen and
no suitable space indoors for another one. Our present one is
knackered, so it won't be coming with us. We will have to put one in
the garage (SWMBO thinks the car is going in there too, but once my
workshop is set up...). I've looked at the Google newsgroups and the
latest recommendations, often for pricey Liebherrs, are two years or
so old.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable less expensive chest
freezer of about 280-300 litres? Or are modern freezers much of a
muchness? Which? reports would suggest this is the case.

I suspect they are much of a muchness. We bought one few years back
(5-6). Ours is an Electrolux. Spent most of its life happily in the
garage. We looked for one with decent energy rating - which seems to be
down to the insulation.
--
Chris French

Chris Bacon

chris French wrote:
Peter Twydell writes
Does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable less expensive chest
freezer of about 280-300 litres? Or are modern freezers much of a
muchness? Which? reports would suggest this is the case.

I suspect they are much of a muchness. We bought one few years back
(5-6). Ours is an Electrolux. Spent most of its life happily in the
garage. We looked for one with decent energy rating - which seems to be
down to the insulation.

An "A" rated freezer will in general have a smaller capacity
than a less efficient freezer of the same external dimensions.
Andy

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
chris French wrote:
Peter Twydell writes
Does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable less expensive chest
freezer of about 280-300 litres? Or are modern freezers much of a
muchness? Which? reports would suggest this is the case.

I suspect they are much of a muchness. We bought one few years back
(5-6). Ours is an Electrolux. Spent most of its life happily in the
garage. We looked for one with decent energy rating - which seems to be
down to the insulation.

An "A" rated freezer will in general have a smaller capacity
than a less efficient freezer of the same external dimensions.

Look out for the minimum temperature rating: some of them claim not to
guarantee working below 15C! The lowest I saw claimed to be OK to +5C, but I
expect it would be OK a little lower than that.

Andy.

Ian Stirling

Peter Twydell wrote:
The house we're moving to has an integrated freezer in the kitchen and
no suitable space indoors for another one. Our present one is knackered,
so it won't be coming with us. We will have to put one in the garage
(SWMBO thinks the car is going in there too, but once my workshop is set
up...). I've looked at the Google newsgroups and the latest
recommendations, often for pricey Liebherrs, are two years or so old.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable less expensive chest
freezer of about 280-300 litres? Or are modern freezers much of a
muchness? Which? reports would suggest this is the case.

You don't want a less expensive one - probably.
Is it just cosmetically that your current one is knackered?
Coat of paint can work wonders, or some new seal strips.

However.
Back to my original point, looking at the difference on froogle,
I find that you can get 100Kwh/year difference in performance, which
adds up to around 10 quid a year - and electricity prices are rising.
I note some new chest freezers on ebay.
Peter Twydell

In message , Ian
Stirling writes
Peter Twydell wrote:
The house we're moving to has an integrated freezer in the kitchen and
no suitable space indoors for another one. Our present one is knackered,
so it won't be coming with us. We will have to put one in the garage
(SWMBO thinks the car is going in there too, but once my workshop is set
up...). I've looked at the Google newsgroups and the latest
recommendations, often for pricey Liebherrs, are two years or so old.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable less expensive chest
freezer of about 280-300 litres? Or are modern freezers much of a
muchness? Which? reports would suggest this is the case.

You don't want a less expensive one - probably.

Don't I?

Is it just cosmetically that your current one is knackered?
Coat of paint can work wonders, or some new seal strips.

The current freezer is cosmetically excellent - it's the works that are
knackered. Stays on far longer than it used to and is very noisy.

However.
Back to my original point, looking at the difference on froogle,
I find that you can get 100Kwh/year difference in performance, which
adds up to around 10 quid a year - and electricity prices are rising.
I note some new chest freezers on ebay.

--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Peter Twydell

In message , Peter Twydell
writes
The house we're moving to has an integrated freezer in the kitchen and
no suitable space indoors for another one. Our present one is
knackered, so it won't be coming with us. We will have to put one in
the garage (SWMBO thinks the car is going in there too, but once my
workshop is set up...). I've looked at the Google newsgroups and the
latest recommendations, often for pricey Liebherrs, are two years or
so old.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable less expensive chest
freezer of about 280-300 litres? Or are modern freezers much of a
muchness? Which? reports would suggest this is the case.

Thanks for all the help. SWMBO now says she will get a s/h one just in
case it goes TU. Anyone got a trailer for sale? :-)
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!