DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Paint Cracking/Crazing (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/126761-paint-cracking-crazing.html)

Baz October 27th 05 04:24 PM

Paint Cracking/Crazing

Hi Guys.
My Son is decorating our front room for us.

Stripped wall paper.
Filled and sanded.
Washed down with Sugar Soap.
Put on a thinned coat of white vinyl matt.
Put on a coat of vinyl matt finish coat.
This coat has dried leaving cracks and crazing, even worst where he cut in
with a brush.
What caused this? paint not thinned enough??

Baz

EricP October 27th 05 04:34 PM

Paint Cracking/Crazing

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:24:58 +0100, "Baz"
wrote:

Hi Guys.
My Son is decorating our front room for us.

Stripped wall paper.
Filled and sanded.
Washed down with Sugar Soap.
Put on a thinned coat of white vinyl matt.
Put on a coat of vinyl matt finish coat.
This coat has dried leaving cracks and crazing, even worst where he cut in
with a brush.
What caused this? paint not thinned enough??

Baz

What was the paint thinned with??

The3rd Earl Of Derby October 27th 05 04:40 PM

Paint Cracking/Crazing

Baz wrote:
Hi Guys.
My Son is decorating our front room for us.

Stripped wall paper.
Filled and sanded.
Washed down with Sugar Soap.
Put on a thinned coat of white vinyl matt.
Put on a coat of vinyl matt finish coat.
This coat has dried leaving cracks and crazing, even worst where he
cut in with a brush.
What caused this? paint not thinned enough??

Baz

Brush not been cleaned properly?
Bad paint batch?
Paint not stirred sufficiantly?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Chris Bacon October 27th 05 05:10 PM

Paint Cracking/Crazing

Baz wrote:
My Son is decorating our front room for us.

Stripped wall paper.
Filled and sanded.
Washed down with Sugar Soap.
Put on a thinned coat of white vinyl matt.
Put on a coat of vinyl matt finish coat.
This coat has dried leaving cracks and crazing, even worst where he cut in
with a brush.
What caused this? paint not thinned enough??

There's still wallpaper paste on the wall. Very careful work with
a low-quality scouring pad (the sort that doesn't help with the
washing up very much!), to avoid scratching the plaster, with
lots of clean warm water will get it off, but you've got to
get the wall *clean* - if you slide your hand over the wet
surface, and the wall feels slippery (even in patches)
then there's more work to do. You could line it,
and then paint on that.... however, I prefer
paint on plaster!

EricP October 27th 05 05:15 PM

Paint Cracking/Crazing

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:38:16 +0100, "Baz"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Hi Guys.
My Son is decorating our front room for us.

Stripped wall paper.
Filled and sanded.
Washed down with Sugar Soap.
Put on a thinned coat of white vinyl matt.
Put on a coat of vinyl matt finish coat.
This coat has dried leaving cracks and crazing, even worst where he cut in
with a brush.
What caused this? paint not thinned enough??

Baz

What was the paint thinned with??

Draught H2O

Weird then. Like Ben is wandering around, oil contamination seems
suggested. I got this from a large brush that had been used for
gloss/white spirit and not degreased enough before use for water
paints.

Mr Fuxit October 27th 05 08:42 PM

Paint Cracking/Crazing

What caused this? paint not thinned enough??

The Sugar Soap has soaked into the plaster; your best course is to
line the walls. Sugar Soap must always be thoroughly rinsed off
whenever it's used.

Stuart Noble October 28th 05 12:15 PM

Paint Cracking/Crazing

Mr Fuxit wrote:
What caused this? paint not thinned enough??

With Dulux I've had this happen on well prepared surfaces. Try a light
rub down followed by a slightly thinnned coat, or switch to Crown, which
is not as thick.