Baz

Default Paint Cracking/Crazing

Hi Guys.
My Son is decorating our front room for us.

Stripped wall paper.
Filled and sanded.
Washed down with Sugar Soap.
Put on a thinned coat of white vinyl matt.
Put on a coat of vinyl matt finish coat.
This coat has dried leaving cracks and crazing, even worst where he cut in
with a brush.
What caused this? paint not thinned enough??

Baz

EricP

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:24:58 +0100, "Baz"
wrote:

Hi Guys.
My Son is decorating our front room for us.

Stripped wall paper.
Filled and sanded.
Washed down with Sugar Soap.
Put on a thinned coat of white vinyl matt.
Put on a coat of vinyl matt finish coat.
This coat has dried leaving cracks and crazing, even worst where he cut in
with a brush.
What caused this? paint not thinned enough??

Baz

What was the paint thinned with??

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Baz wrote:
Hi Guys.
My Son is decorating our front room for us.

Stripped wall paper.
Filled and sanded.
Washed down with Sugar Soap.
Put on a thinned coat of white vinyl matt.
Put on a coat of vinyl matt finish coat.
This coat has dried leaving cracks and crazing, even worst where he
cut in with a brush.
What caused this? paint not thinned enough??

Baz

Brush not been cleaned properly?
Bad paint batch?
Paint not stirred sufficiantly?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Chris Bacon

Baz wrote:
My Son is decorating our front room for us.

Stripped wall paper.
Filled and sanded.
Washed down with Sugar Soap.
Put on a thinned coat of white vinyl matt.
Put on a coat of vinyl matt finish coat.
This coat has dried leaving cracks and crazing, even worst where he cut in
with a brush.
What caused this? paint not thinned enough??

There's still wallpaper paste on the wall. Very careful work with
a low-quality scouring pad (the sort that doesn't help with the
washing up very much!), to avoid scratching the plaster, with
lots of clean warm water will get it off, but you've got to
get the wall *clean* - if you slide your hand over the wet
surface, and the wall feels slippery (even in patches)
then there's more work to do. You could line it,
and then paint on that.... however, I prefer
paint on plaster!

EricP

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:38:16 +0100, "Baz"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Hi Guys.
My Son is decorating our front room for us.

Stripped wall paper.
Filled and sanded.
Washed down with Sugar Soap.
Put on a thinned coat of white vinyl matt.
Put on a coat of vinyl matt finish coat.
This coat has dried leaving cracks and crazing, even worst where he cut in
with a brush.
What caused this? paint not thinned enough??

Baz

What was the paint thinned with??

Draught H2O

Weird then. Like Ben is wandering around, oil contamination seems
suggested. I got this from a large brush that had been used for
gloss/white spirit and not degreased enough before use for water
paints.

Mr Fuxit

What caused this? paint not thinned enough??

The Sugar Soap has soaked into the plaster; your best course is to
line the walls. Sugar Soap must always be thoroughly rinsed off
whenever it's used.

Stuart Noble

Mr Fuxit wrote:
What caused this? paint not thinned enough??

With Dulux I've had this happen on well prepared surfaces. Try a light
rub down followed by a slightly thinnned coat, or switch to Crown, which
is not as thick.

Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Excerpt: Room for Improvement Jane Smith Home Repair 1 October 3rd 05 10:22 AM
Rust Paint and Standard Paint. ACH Metalworking 2 July 4th 05 03:48 PM
Hardinge Paint Purchase (long) [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 21st 05 07:28 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM