Grunff

Default Network Switch in Loft?

TheScullster wrote:
Is it too dusty?
Pitched roof with felt, not filthy but loads of cobwebs and insulation
fibres.
Anyone done this and survived?
Short of enclosing in cupboard with fancy grill work or covering with
moskito netting...is this a good idea (it seemed like it when I routed all
the cables up there).

If it's a fairly small switch with no forced cooling, it'll be fine.

--
Grunff

Peter Parry

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:34:29 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

Is it too dusty?

Probably not - but it might be rather too hot in the summer for good
reliability.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Rick

wrote:

Is it too dusty?
Pitched roof with felt, not filthy but loads of cobwebs and insulation
fibres.
Anyone done this and survived?
Short of enclosing in cupboard with fancy grill work or covering with
moskito netting...is this a good idea (it seemed like it when I routed all
the cables up there).

TIA

Phil

Thats where mine is ......

Rick
Mathew Newton

wrote:

Is it too dusty?
Pitched roof with felt, not filthy but loads of cobwebs and insulation
fibres.
Anyone done this and survived?
Short of enclosing in cupboard with fancy grill work or covering with
moskito netting...is this a good idea (it seemed like it when I routed all
the cables up there).

TIA

Phil

Thats where mine is ......

Rick

And was there an apostrophe in 'Thats' when you sent it...? ;-)

Rick

wrote:

Is it too dusty?
Pitched roof with felt, not filthy but loads of cobwebs and insulation
fibres.
Anyone done this and survived?
Short of enclosing in cupboard with fancy grill work or covering with
moskito netting...is this a good idea (it seemed like it when I routed all
the cables up there).

TIA

Phil

Thats where mine is ......

Rick

And was there an apostrophe in 'Thats' when you sent it...? ;-)

I don't see one, r u trying to correct my english, are you taking the
**** out of the disabled ? would you take the **** out of somebody in
a wheelchair ? Why take the **** out of dsylexics ?

Rick
Grunff

Rick wrote:

And was there an apostrophe in 'Thats' when you sent it...? ;-)

I don't see one, r u trying to correct my english, are you taking the
**** out of the disabled ? would you take the **** out of somebody in
a wheelchair ? Why take the **** out of dsylexics ?

I actually thought it was quite a funny joke about how the switch might
be malfunctioning.

As for dyslexia - it's not a real condition. Get over it.

--
Grunff

Mathew Newton

wrote:

Is it too dusty?
Pitched roof with felt, not filthy but loads of cobwebs and insulation
fibres.
Anyone done this and survived?
Short of enclosing in cupboard with fancy grill work or covering with
moskito netting...is this a good idea (it seemed like it when I routed all
the cables up there).

TIA

Phil

Thats where mine is ......

Rick

And was there an apostrophe in 'Thats' when you sent it...? ;-)

I don't see one, r u trying to correct my english, are you taking the
**** out of the disabled ? would you take the **** out of somebody in
a wheelchair ? Why take the **** out of dsylexics ?

Rick

It was indeed just a joke about the possible effects of an overheated
network switch! (dropped packets in case it's still not clear)
Admittedly not all that funny, but by my own poor standards about as
good as it gets!

As for taking the **** out of someone in a wheelchair; yes I probably
would. I wouldn't discriminate against someone just because they're in
a wheelchair. Would you? Are you suggesting a disabled person can't
take a joke? ;-)

Mathew

Grunff

Charlie wrote:

Idiot troll.

Yes, I thought he sounded like one too.

--
Grunff

:::Jerry::::

"Grunff" wrote in message
Rick wrote:

And was there an apostrophe in 'Thats' when you sent it...? ;-)

I don't see one, r u trying to correct my english, are you taking

the
**** out of the disabled ? would you take the **** out of

somebody in
a wheelchair ? Why take the **** out of dsylexics ?

I actually thought it was quite a funny joke about how the switch

might
be malfunctioning.

As for dyslexia - it's not a real condition. Get over it.

You ignorant little ****wit.

:::Jerry::::

"Grunff" wrote in message
Charlie wrote:

Idiot troll.

Yes, I thought he sounded like one too.

You are the wankler, not the people you insult.

:::Jerry::::

"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip

As for taking the **** out of someone in a wheelchair; yes I

probably
would. I wouldn't discriminate against someone just because they're

in
a wheelchair. Would you? Are you suggesting a disabled person can't
take a joke? ;-)

There is a difference between laughing *with* them and laughing *at*
them...

Chip

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:34:29 +0100,it is alleged that "TheScullster"
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Is it too dusty?
Pitched roof with felt, not filthy but loads of cobwebs and insulation
fibres.
Anyone done this and survived?
Short of enclosing in cupboard with fancy grill work or covering with
moskito netting...is this a good idea (it seemed like it when I routed all
the cables up there).

TIA

Phil

That's where mine is too, the only proviso I have is that I have a
small 100mm fan (from a PC PSU) hooked to a thermostat and 'plugpack'
PSU set to 35 degrees C. This may or may not actually be doing
anything useful.

Try to keep the hub low down, where the air is cooler, a small shelf a
few inches above the floor in my case.

--
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.
- Ken Olson, President of DEC, 1977

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip

As for taking the **** out of someone in a wheelchair; yes I

probably
would. I wouldn't discriminate against someone just because they're

in
a wheelchair. Would you? Are you suggesting a disabled person can't
take a joke? ;-)

There is a difference between laughing *with* them and laughing *at*
them...

Indeed, and I think Mathew was talking about laughing at them, taking
the **** out of them. What he did *not* say was that he would do so
purely on account of them being in a wheelchair, which would indeed be
unacceptable.

Someone being in a wheelchair makes no difference whether I might take
the **** out of them for, say, supporting a particularly useless
football team, or driving a Lada, or...

MBQ

tony sayer

In article , TheScullster
writes
Is it too dusty?
Pitched roof with felt, not filthy but loads of cobwebs and insulation
fibres.
Anyone done this and survived?
Short of enclosing in cupboard with fancy grill work or covering with
moskito netting...is this a good idea (it seemed like it when I routed all
the cables up there).

TIA

Phil

It might be such a good idea on very hot days as the power unit, usually
a wall wart, can get rather hot and the added loft temp wouldn't assist
reliability either seeing that these aren't all that good in the first
place.

Can't you do like we've done and drop it down into somewhere like the
airing cupboard where you can keep an eye on it and the temp is usually
lower?....
--
Tony Sayer

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
"Grunff" wrote in message
Charlie wrote:

Idiot troll.

Yes, I thought he sounded like one too.

You are the wankler, not the people you insult.

;-)

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Rick wrote:
"TheScullster" wrote:

Is it too dusty?
Pitched roof with felt, not filthy but loads of cobwebs and insulation
fibres.
Anyone done this and survived?
Short of enclosing in cupboard with fancy grill work or covering with
moskito netting...is this a good idea (it seemed like it when I routed all
the cables up there).

Thats where mine is ......

Mine too. Twin fan forced cooling on the hub and a pentium 2 firewall
PC.

Been running for 18 months so far, winter & summer. Don't go up very
often so i'm not disturbing the insuation much.

Cheers

Pauul.

Mathew Newton

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip

As for taking the **** out of someone in a wheelchair; yes I

probably
would. I wouldn't discriminate against someone just because they're

in
a wheelchair. Would you? Are you suggesting a disabled person can't
take a joke? ;-)

There is a difference between laughing *with* them and laughing *at*
them...

Of course. And in reference to my original point about the missing
apostrophe I rather hope you would consider it a case of the former...
The ;-) which, perhaps Rick overlooked, was intended to show it was a
'joke' (funny or not![1]) in that it was an overheated switch that
caused the omission, and not dyslexia!

Mathew

[1] If anything's a sure sign of an unfunny joke it's having to explain
it afterwards hence I think there's no doubt in this case!!

John Rumm

Grunff wrote:

As for dyslexia - it's not a real condition. Get over it.

Not defending lack of the occasional apostrophe, since that is not one
of the particularly well known traits of dyslexia. However to claim that
it does not exist seems to be a rather extreme position (or perhaps just
uninformed one) given that it is extensively documented, and readily
identifiable these days (at least in the more severe cases).

--
Cheers,

John.

Grunff

John Rumm wrote:

Not defending lack of the occasional apostrophe, since that is not one
of the particularly well known traits of dyslexia. However to claim that
it does not exist seems to be a rather extreme position (or perhaps just
uninformed one) given that it is extensively documented, and readily
identifiable these days (at least in the more severe cases).

Since it's you John, I'll expand on what I meant. There is no doubt that
there is a set of learning difficulties which affect certain people
which have been labeled 'dyslexia' - more for convenience than anything
else.

But the recent explosion in the numbers of dyslexics is not due to a
massive increase in the number of people suffering from these learning
difficulties, nor is it due to better diagnosis of the condition. It's
due to a convenient application of a label to people who 30 years ago
would simply have been referred to as 'a bit slow' or 'not academically
inclined'.

I'm not crazy, nor am I alone in holding these views - there is much
literature on the subject.

--
Grunff
:::Jerry::::

"Grunff" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:

[...]

That is precisely how dyslexics were described as 30 years ago...
The explosion (as you phrase it) in numbers is due to better
diagnosis, what you are suggesting is a bit like suggesting that
variant-CJD doesn't exist just because more people have been found to
suffer from it, think about it before replying with more ignorant
clap-trap than "Drivel" normally posts!

I'm not crazy, nor am I alone in holding these views - there is

much
literature on the subject.

Non of which you seem to have read, are you also a creationist by any
chance?...

Marcus Foreman

In article t,
Chip wrote:

[...]

It might be a good idea to also place a flat 'roof' over the box so as
to stop radiant heat from doing its worst. The fan can then be directed
to blow air through the gap.

Marcus

--
Marcus
email: marcus {att} frenchay {dott} demon {pointt} co {periodd} uk
John Rumm

Grunff wrote:

Since it's you John, I'll expand on what I meant. There is no doubt that
there is a set of learning difficulties which affect certain people
which have been labeled 'dyslexia' - more for convenience than anything
else.

Quite agree. Dyslexia is a complex and varying mix of specific problems
and limitations and also (often overlooked) specific strengths and
abilities.

But the recent explosion in the numbers of dyslexics is not due to a
massive increase in the number of people suffering from these learning
difficulties, nor is it due to better diagnosis of the condition. It's

Yes I see what you are saying, and also agree. Greater awareness and
ability to diagnose will inevitably result in some spurious claims where
they are not really justified.

(estimates of those affected still remain at about the same level IIUC
i.e. in the general population there are about 1 in 30 severe cases, and
1 in 10 mild ones)

due to a convenient application of a label to people who 30 years ago
would simply have been referred to as 'a bit slow' or 'not academically
inclined'.

Probably true in many cases. There is a danger that people start
devaluing the term by using it as a politically correct term for cases
of eminently explainable under achievement.

On the flip side, greater awareness and diagnosis will also obviously
reveal more genuine cases that in the past would have also been
dismissed in the ways you state. This will no doubt come as a big relief
for those genuinely affected.

(I friend I went to school with would be a good example - frequently
described in such terms earlier in life. Turned out he had an IQ of 169
and could speak a correctly constructed sentence in 17 languages by the
age of 15! He went on to receive a first class honours degree (still
can't spell though))

I'm not crazy, nor am I alone in holding these views - there is much
literature on the subject.

I think you would have to concede that the explanation you just gave is
a somewhat different viewpoint from "it's not a real condition. Get over
it." ;-)

IMHO your (clarified) viewpoint seems balanced and supportable. There
are however many educators (and others with a duty of care for the
education of our children) that still subscribe to viewpoints closer to
that expressed in your original statement.

--
Cheers,

John.

Grunff

John Rumm wrote:

I think you would have to concede that the explanation you just gave is
a somewhat different viewpoint from "it's not a real condition. Get over
it." ;-)

:-)

I just get so very tired of "don't discriminate against me, I'd
dyslexic" types. When I was at uni, there was a strange period where
large numbers of people I knew went and got themselves diagnosed
dyslexic. They seemed to view this as a great excuse not being able to
do particular things - to the point where they'd just give up - "it's
not my fault, I'm dyslexic".

I think that's a very dangerous thing - we all have things we struggle
with. Having a ready-made, off-the-shelf, socially acceptable reason to
just give up is never good. That includes the use of apostrophes
(although I've never actually seen that attributed to dyslexia before).

--
Grunff

--s-p-o-n-i-x--

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:51:51 GMT, Rick wrote:

Why take the **** out of dsylexics ?

Why did they make the word "disleksia" so hard to spell?

sponix
Jon Telfer

Grunff wrote:

TheScullster wrote:
Is it too dusty?
Pitched roof with felt, not filthy but loads of cobwebs and insulation
fibres.
Anyone done this and survived?
Short of enclosing in cupboard with fancy grill work or covering with
moskito netting...is this a good idea (it seemed like it when I routed
all the cables up there).

If it's a fairly small switch with no forced cooling, it'll be fine.

Since this is uk.d-i-y, how about a system to use the cold water tank? i.e
mount your switch on the side of the tank for use as a heatsink?

Pardon the pun, but I reckon cooling your PC from the various feeds of cold
water in the house is an untapped market. Much more powerful than some
in-case radiator.

Jon
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

On 18 Oct 2005 08:10:33 -0700, "Mathew Newton"
wrote:

As for taking the **** out of someone in a wheelchair; yes I probably
would. I wouldn't discriminate against someone just because they're in
a wheelchair. Would you? Are you suggesting a disabled person can't
take a joke? ;-)

How many people laugh at the wheelchair sketch on Little Britain?

sponix
Capitol

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

That is precisely how dyslexics were described as 30 years ago...

I'd rather believe the experienced infant teacher of my aquaintance
(who also lectures occasionally at US universities.)

"In 40 years of teaching children of all abilities, to read, I've
never met a dyslexic child." Her class of 6 - 7 yr olds had an average
reading age of chronological age + 18 months, with the lowest being
chronological age and the best being +4years on a standard reading test.
I've seen the data so it is real!

30 years ago, the slow child was described as ESN. Very few children
fell into this category. Even most of those learned to read the
Sun(reading age of 7yrs old required) Now every other child is put into
a "special needs labelled" category when what they really require is
considerate teaching and the loss of a playtime, for encouragement to
achieve. There is however a major problem in inner cities, where the
child never hears or sees English except in the school environment.
However, that is not "dyslexia".

There is a load of crap being spouted both here and in the US about
increases in "Dyslexia". It's a made up label, commonly applied to
children who are unable to read adequately, by teachers and "experts"
who have no real idea of how young children learn, or how to teach them.

I read a recent summary (May 2005) of the papers presented on
dyslexia at a US teacher conference (April). Crap described almost all
of them. Very long words of dubious meaning and no significant content.

Get the politicians, apologists and self glory seekers out of education
and you may have a chance of producing a literate population, otherwise,
no hope.

Regards
Capitol
John Rumm

Grunff wrote:

I just get so very tired of "don't discriminate against me, I'd
dyslexic" types. When I was at uni, there was a strange period where
large numbers of people I knew went and got themselves diagnosed
dyslexic.

Yup, it does seem like a strange mindset especially when going to uni is
something people usually have to choose to do in the first place. The
reality of actually just getting into uni with a severe case of
undiagnosed dyslexia would be a major achievement in itself, requiring a
very resilient attitude and lots of hard work.

They seemed to view this as a great excuse not being able to
do particular things - to the point where they'd just give up - "it's
not my fault, I'm dyslexic".

To which the answer ought to be "well fail then" (in some cases anyway)!

(The exception being when you have lecturers determined to mark down
otherwise complete and accurate work simply due to poor spelling (in
subjects that have no curricular requirement for spelling accuracy)).

IME, the "real" dyslexics (and I know many) tend to be the ones who put
up more fight rather than less.

I think that's a very dangerous thing - we all have things we struggle
with. Having a ready-made, off-the-shelf, socially acceptable reason to
just give up is never good.

Quite agree. ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

:::Jerry::::

"Grunff" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:

[...]

A child being 'statemented' as dyslexic now means that they are not
allowed to just 'give up', as there is so much help made available,
the problem is getting 'statemented' by the LEA as they are then
forced to help. Yes, I suspect that there are people, who no doubt
hold your simplistic views of dyslexia, who might well have used it
as an excuse for being plain lazy - most true suffers are in no way
lazy, frustrated yes but not lazy.

That includes the use of apostrophes
(although I've never actually seen that attributed to dyslexia

before).

Then you really don't know WTF you are talking about, punctuation
etc. is less important than correct spelling or placed correctly
words, point littel ni gting the punctuation corretc if the raeder
cant nudersatnd whats ben writen...

Steve Walker

Jon Telfer wrote:

Pardon the pun, but I reckon cooling your PC from the various
feeds of cold water in the house is an untapped market. Much
more powerful than some in-case radiator.

Mmmmm, yes - divert incoming cold main to run through watercooling cpu
block. )

Jon Telfer

Steve Walker wrote:

Jon Telfer wrote:

Pardon the pun, but I reckon cooling your PC from the various
feeds of cold water in the house is an untapped market. Much
more powerful than some in-case radiator.

Mmmmm, yes - divert incoming cold main to run through watercooling cpu
block. )

Exactly. Obviously one would need to prevent rapid and terminal cooling
from the pipe leaking, but rigging some kind of parallel pressure regulated
pipe is not beyond the realms of plumbing.
Not sure how much water flow you get in a house but you might have to
limit games playing to times of water demand - e.g. when the mrs is a) in
the shower, b) washing up, c) on the lav, which is not significantly
different to my current Doom3 habit.

Jon
David W.E. Roberts

"TheScullster" wrote in message
news
Is it too dusty?
Pitched roof with felt, not filthy but loads of cobwebs and insulation
fibres.
Anyone done this and survived?
Short of enclosing in cupboard with fancy grill work or covering with
moskito netting...is this a good idea (it seemed like it when I routed all
the cables up there).

By 'network switch' do you mean one of those little 'hub/switch' things
which join all the CAT5E together?

Should be no problem; I certainly have had a Wirelesss AP in the loft for
ages with no problems.

If it doesn't have a fan, dust is no problem.

Mount it on a rafter to keep it out of the frap.

Cheers
Dave R

Chip

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:50:15 +0100,it is alleged that Marcus Foreman
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

[snip OP about routers/switches/hubs located in loft]

That's where mine is too, the only proviso I have is that I have a
small 100mm fan (from a PC PSU) hooked to a thermostat and 'plugpack'
PSU set to 35 degrees C. This may or may not actually be doing
anything useful.

Try to keep the hub low down, where the air is cooler, a small shelf a
few inches above the floor in my case.

It might be a good idea to also place a flat 'roof' over the box so as
to stop radiant heat from doing its worst. The fan can then be directed
to blow air through the gap.

Marcus

A point well taken, the radiant heat can be quite high in summer,
being a low pitched almost south facin roof, it presents quite a 'head
on' aspect to the sun at around 1-2pm in midsummer.

--
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.
- Ken Olson, President of DEC, 1977

:::Jerry::::

"Capitol" wrote in message

snip utter clap-trap

Alex

tony sayer wrote:
Can't you do like we've done and drop it down into somewhere like the
airing cupboard where you can keep an eye on it and the temp is usually
lower?....

Aren't airing cupboards meant to be warm (and humid when you dry clothes)?

alex

--
Alex Meaden
Technical Support Officer
John Rumm

Capitol wrote:

"In 40 years of teaching children of all abilities, to read, I've
never met a dyslexic child." Her class of 6 - 7 yr olds had an average
reading age of chronological age + 18 months, with the lowest being
chronological age and the best being +4years on a standard reading test.
I've seen the data so it is real!

She seems to equate dyslexia with not being able to read. While true in
some cases, it is usually far more complex than that. Plenty of
dyslexics I know can read very well. Of those that can't, not reading is
usually only a part of a much broader range of issues.

30 years ago, the slow child was described as ESN. Very few children
fell into this category. Even most of those learned to read the
Sun(reading age of 7yrs old required) Now every other child is put into
a "special needs labelled" category when what they really require is
considerate teaching and the loss of a playtime, for encouragement to
achieve. There is however a major problem in inner cities, where the
child never hears or sees English except in the school environment.
However, that is not "dyslexia".

Agreed...

There is a load of crap being spouted both here and in the US about
increases in "Dyslexia". It's a made up label, commonly applied to

Are not all conditions / problems etc that have names not also made up
"labels"?

children who are unable to read adequately, by teachers and "experts"
who have no real idea of how young children learn, or how to teach them.

That is more the key in this case. There is also the danger that
inadequate teachers use it as an excuse for their own lack of results.

Get the politicians, apologists and self glory seekers out of
education and you may have a chance of producing a literate population,
otherwise, no hope.

True... sadly I don't see them getting out of the way any time soon.

--
Cheers,

John.

Michael Chare

"TheScullster" wrote in message
news
Is it too dusty?
Pitched roof with felt, not filthy but loads of cobwebs and insulation
fibres.
Anyone done this and survived?

Yes, my 4 port ADSL/router/switch has survived the past year in my attic where
it connects to my master phone socket.

--

Michael Chare

tony sayer

In article , Alex
writes
tony sayer wrote:
Can't you do like we've done and drop it down into somewhere like the
airing cupboard where you can keep an eye on it and the temp is usually
lower?....

Aren't airing cupboards meant to be warm (and humid when you dry clothes)?

alex

Warm, but not like a loft on a summers day. Dunno about your missus but
mine does not dry them in there, thats done elsewhere.....
--
Tony Sayer