Janet Tweedy

Default shed light

What's the best way to light a shed for about three hours a time if I
can't get electricity down to it at he moment?
I did buy one of those push lights that work on batteries, only they
don't...... Work I mean.
Are there more reliable lights?
It would also be nice to have one available in case of power cuts.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Janet Tweedy wrote:
What's the best way to light a shed for about three hours a time if I
can't get electricity down to it at he moment?
I did buy one of those push lights that work on batteries, only they
don't...... Work I mean.
Are there more reliable lights?
It would also be nice to have one available in case of power cuts.

Janet

If you don't want batteries then the only way to go is 'GAS'
http://www.leisurefayre.com/websiteb...s/gaslites.htm
some of these lanterns can be adapted to suit a 12kilos butane bottles.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

zaax

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes

What's the best way to light a shed for about three hours a time if I
can't get electricity down to it at he moment?
I did buy one of those push lights that work on batteries, only they
don't...... Work I mean.
Are there more reliable lights?
It would also be nice to have one available in case of power cuts.

Janet

Peddle power.

Attach an old car alternator to the crank shaft of a bike. Attach
batteries via inverter & use car lamps & bulbs.
--
Zaax
http://www.ukgatsos.com
Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:45:47 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

| What's the best way to light a shed for about three hours a time if I
| can't get electricity down to it at he moment?
| I did buy one of those push lights that work on batteries, only they
| don't...... Work I mean.
| Are there more reliable lights?
| It would also be nice to have one available in case of power cuts.

A leisure battery (Lead acid accumulator), and 16 watt 12V florescent from
the caravan shop would do all you need and more. Keep the battery charged
up in the house. Check the electrolyte level every month.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.
John Cartmell

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:

What's the best way to light a shed for about three hours a time if I
can't get electricity down to it at he moment?
I did buy one of those push lights that work on batteries, only they
don't...... Work I mean.
Are there more reliable lights?
It would also be nice to have one available in case of power cuts.

You can buy a solar light for this purpose - about 20GBP. Maplin?

Thomas Prufer

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:32:27 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote:

If you don't want batteries then the only way to go is 'GAS'
http://www.leisurefayre.com/websiteb...s/gaslites.htm
some of these lanterns can be adapted to suit a 12kilos butane bottles.

Gas also provides a bit of heat, though the cartridges get sluggish once it gets
near freezing. And piezo ignition is nice, worth spending a bit extra for... IME
the mantles that tie on twice, top and bottom, last very well. Still on my first
after few years of occasional use.

Other than that, I found a pile of lanterns with a fluorescent bulb, sealed
lead-acid gel cell (6 Volt, ISTR 4 Ah), a charger for mains, one for 12 Volt
cigarette lighter, a LED to warn of low battery, and an IR remote. They've been
popping up in all sorts of shops lately here, fresh from China no doubt. Seeing
you're not further from China than me, maybe they'll turn up in a shed near you?

I got a special off a pallet in a shed, two lanterns for eighteen Euro something
-- wossat, twelve quid?

Here's a picture from a shop:

http://www.quelle.de/cgi/kooperation...ct&sku=752604J

Thomas Prufer
Harry Bloomfield

Janet Tweedy pretended :
What's the best way to light a shed for about three hours a time if I can't
get electricity down to it at he moment?
I did buy one of those push lights that work on batteries, only they
don't...... Work I mean.
Are there more reliable lights?
It would also be nice to have one available in case of power cuts.

You don't say how frequent the 3 hour use session will be.

You might consider a car type battery, but of the 'leisure battery'
type. The latter are intended for deep discharge, where as the prior
are not.

You can then run from that some 12v florescent lights, as intended for
caravans or camping. These give much more light output per watt than
simple 12v bulbs.

To recharge the battery, you might consider either-

a. Recharging with a mains powered charger in the house. Make sure the
charger is an automatic type designed to stop charging once the battery
is full.

b. Buying a solar panel plus controller, which fits on the hut.

Either way it is important to ensure the battery is not left long in a
discharged state, otherwise the battery will be damaged. Over charging
will produce a similar result.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

tony sayer

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes

What's the best way to light a shed for about three hours a time if I
can't get electricity down to it at he moment?
I did buy one of those push lights that work on batteries, only they
don't...... Work I mean.
Are there more reliable lights?
It would also be nice to have one available in case of power cuts.

Janet

Absolutely no way you could string up a cable overhead?, that if not
mains could take something like 12 or 24 or even more volts at up to
around 40 odd, and either use that the charge up batteries or step it
back up with another transformer to provide for a fluorescent or
two?....
--
Tony Sayer

Lurch

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:45:47 +0100, Janet Tweedy
scrawled:

What's the best way to light a shed for about three hours a time if I
can't get electricity down to it at he moment?

Where is this shed? I'm assuming it's too far to just take a lead or 2
down to it?

I did buy one of those push lights that work on batteries, only they
don't...... Work I mean.
Are there more reliable lights?
It would also be nice to have one available in case of power cuts.

Depending what the full story is ou might be better off spending your
time and effort getting power down there now rather than throwing at
half baked useless temporary ideas.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Andy Dingley

wrote:

What's the best way to light a shed for about three hours a time if I
can't get electricity down to it at he moment?

Depends on size of shed and how much light you need. I'd probably use a
car battery and a 12V fluorescent, either caravan parts or a garage
hand-held inspection light (Screwfix do a decent cheap one). If you
have one, use a "deep discharge" caravan battery, otherwise make sure
that teh car battery gets charged up regularly and is never left sitting
near-flat, especially out in the cold.

For more light, get a gas-powered Bullfinch "Handilight". These are
abotu 10-15 quid from eBay and will need a new mantle after being posted
(Calor gas or caravan shops), often a hose and regulator too. They run
on propane and give a generous white light. I have three or four of
these things and use them for festival-scale camping or timber framing
(timber framing is often done on-site, under a marquee workshop)

If you need a real worklight, then find a propane powered roadsign
floodlight, again made by Bullfinch and found on eBay or via farm
machinery auctions. Not cheap, but lots of light to work by.

John Cartmell

In article ,
John Cartmell wrote:
In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:

What's the best way to light a shed for about three hours a time if I
can't get electricity down to it at he moment?
I did buy one of those push lights that work on batteries, only they
don't...... Work I mean.
Are there more reliable lights?
It would also be nice to have one available in case of power cuts.

You can buy a solar light for this purpose - about 20GBP. Maplin?

Oops.

I've checked and the Maplin light will only give you up to 45 mins from a full
charge but costs 25 GBP (solar shed light). That uses a 4 watt fluorescent
tube. OK for lighting the shed whilst you find something or put your tools
away.
You can buy a better solar light from CPC (at least two options) incorporating
a 12volt battery that is re-charged from solar cells on the shed roof.

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Janet Tweedy
writes

What's the best way to light a shed for about three hours a time if I
can't get electricity down to it at he moment?
I did buy one of those push lights that work on batteries, only they
don't...... Work I mean.
Are there more reliable lights?
It would also be nice to have one available in case of power cuts.

Janet

Absolutely no way you could string up a cable overhead?, that if not
mains could take something like 12 or 24 or even more volts at up to
around 40 odd, and either use that the charge up batteries or step it
back up with another transformer to provide for a fluorescent or
two?....

That would probably be my first choice too. Even bell wire at 4p/metre
will carry 1A at upto 50v, thats 50w. 2 bell wires, add a 24v truck
bulb or 2 and youre away. Cost a tenner the lot.

There are many options really, it all depends - as usual not nearly
enough info. Last time I needed something like this I used gas. If
you're choosing between batteries and gas, go gas. IME its many times
more reliable, and equally much cheaper in the long run.

NT

Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:45:47 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote:

What's the best way to light a shed for about three hours a time if
I can't get electricity down to it at he moment?

I've just bought:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...KU=LA00362&N=4
11

http://makeashorterlink.com/?C33A25DFB

Draws about 1A and puts out a goodly amount of light and being
essentially all plastic isn't going to object to being in a damp shed.
I have 4 7AHr 12v sealed lead acid batteries ex the UPS that I'll use
to power it. Probably keep them in the house and take out when
required. Not many batteries take kindly to being frozen...

If you need a battery look at BT02860 from CPC but you will also need
a suitable sealed lead acid charger, don't use the one for your car
battery...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember zaax saying
something like:

Attach an old car alternator to the crank shaft of a bike. Attach
batteries via inverter & use car lamps & bulbs.

You have to do a helluva lot of pedalling to keep up with tungsten
lamps. Do-able, iwt, with LEDs.

Afair, you'd be lucky to put out a steady 180W from a bicycle/alternator
arrangement.
--

Dave
Rich

I seem to remember that B&Q were flogging bargain petrol generators a
couple of weeks ago. 240V, 650W jobbies

The brand name was "Master TG950", and they were going for £29.98. In
store only, not online.

That might be an option. Then again, it might not...

Andy Dingley

On 17 Oct 2005 02:50:02 -0700, "Rich" wrote:

B&Q were flogging bargain petrol generators

Vertical shaft ? Avoid!

Janet Tweedy

In article , Thomas Prufer
writes

Other than that, I found a pile of lanterns with a fluorescent bulb, sealed
lead-acid gel cell (6 Volt, ISTR 4 Ah), a charger for mains, one for 12 Volt
cigarette lighter, a LED to warn of low battery, and an IR remote.

I got a special off a pallet in a shed, two lanterns for eighteen Euro
something
-- wossat, twelve quid?

Here's a picture from a shop:

http://www.quelle.de/cgi/kooperation...ct&sku=752604J
Thomas Prufer

Like these but local camping shops etc don't seem to have them. Only got
Focus and Sainsbury's Homebase, no sign of them there.
Any idea of outlets that sell them?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Thomas Prufer

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:46:59 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Like these but local camping shops etc don't seem to have them. Only got
Focus and Sainsbury's Homebase, no sign of them there.
Any idea of outlets that sell them?

You're looking in the right places, a pallet of stuff in a corner at Aldi or
Lidl is about where to expect it.

The charger is no use in finding a manufacturer, it says "Adaptor", and the
lanterns are away...

Lemme see if I can't tease an UK supplier out of google.

Ah, "rechargeable+lantern+fluorescent+remote+site:*.co .uk" is the magic
incantation.

Mine's silver, but they come in green and yellow too... The last one's cheapest,
15 quid, plus 5 shipping, and ebay has a few starting at less. Worth it, I'd
say. The only fault I've found is that the little rubber plug keeping the
charging jack sealed (it's "water resistant") pops itself out on its rubber
strap...

http://www.nightsearcher.co.uk/acata...argeable_.html
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=34
http://www.inest.co.uk/range.asp?typeId=593
http://www.kwikbreaks.co.uk/shop/vie...hp?product=145
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAMPING-LANTER...cm dZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rechargeable-C... QcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/A-RECHARGEABLE... QcmdZViewItem
http://www.charliesstoresltd.co.uk/p...ProductID=3130

Thomas Prufer
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
Rich wrote:
I seem to remember that B&Q were flogging bargain petrol generators a
couple of weeks ago. 240V, 650W jobbies

The brand name was "Master TG950", and they were going for £29.98. In
store only, not online.

That might be an option. Then again, it might not...

For use up to three hours at a time? OK if you've no neighbours.

--
*When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Roger

The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

What's the best way to light a shed for about three hours a time if I
can't get electricity down to it at he moment?
I did buy one of those push lights that work on batteries, only they
don't...... Work I mean.
Are there more reliable lights?
It would also be nice to have one available in case of power cuts.

Janet

If you don't want batteries then the only way to go is 'GAS'

So what has happened to the previously ubiquitous Tilley (paraffin) lamps?

--
Roger Chapman

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:51:54 +0100, Roger
wrote:

So what has happened to the previously ubiquitous Tilley (paraffin) lamps?

They're all on eBay, where they go for a shedload of money to
collectors. (Collectors!)

Light Bulb Phil UK diy 18 March 27th 05 05:50 PM
Found elsewhere but perhaps a bit close to home? John UK diy 5 December 29th 04 11:28 PM
Inground spa light replacement question Neal Home Repair 2 October 4th 04 02:28 AM
Change a light bulb Usenet Style Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 11:03 AM
Shed Electrics Quigs UK diy 20 January 26th 04 09:56 AM