AL

Default Getting dents out of wood...?

Is there any way of removing dents in planed pine (not including
sanding or planing them out)? The pine in question is a set of stairs
going up to my loft. Its the horizontal surfaces that have some dents.
The dents have been there for a few years. I wondered if there was
some trick such as filling the dents with some liquid or other so that
the wood swells up just in the place where it has been compacted...
maybe finish off by sanding etc...

Thanks

AL
dmc

In article ,
AL wrote:

Is there any way of removing dents in planed pine (not including
sanding or planing them out)? The pine in question is a set of stairs
going up to my loft. Its the horizontal surfaces that have some dents.
The dents have been there for a few years. I wondered if there was
some trick such as filling the dents with some liquid or other so that
the wood swells up just in the place where it has been compacted...
maybe finish off by sanding etc...

I've heard that making the dent wet and then applying heat (with an iron or
something) can make the wood swell. Never tried it though - and don't
complain to be if you end up with iron shaped marks on the stairs ;-)

Others on here will no doubt have more advice (and hopefully experience!)

Darren

Lobster

dmc wrote:
In article ,
AL wrote:

Is there any way of removing dents in planed pine (not including
sanding or planing them out)? The pine in question is a set of stairs
going up to my loft. Its the horizontal surfaces that have some dents.
The dents have been there for a few years. I wondered if there was
some trick such as filling the dents with some liquid or other so that
the wood swells up just in the place where it has been compacted...
maybe finish off by sanding etc...

I've heard that making the dent wet and then applying heat (with an iron or
something) can make the wood swell. Never tried it though - and don't
complain to be if you end up with iron shaped marks on the stairs ;-)

I was advised the same thing by an experienced joiner; he reckoned even
a pretty deep dent would succumb to the iron trick. (Never tried it; in
the end I resorted to polyfilla followed by paint instead)!

If you think about it it makes sense; when you dent timber you are not
actually losing any material, you are compressing the fibres; so what
the iron is doing is 'reflating' the compressed area.

Would be interested to hear how you get on!

David
Gel

I've often used hot water and it'll rise back; on waxed surface you may
lose some sheen/need to repolish.

dave stanton

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:15:49 +0000, AL wrote:

Is there any way of removing dents in planed pine (not including
sanding or planing them out)? The pine in question is a set of stairs
going up to my loft. Its the horizontal surfaces that have some dents.
The dents have been there for a few years. I wondered if there was
some trick such as filling the dents with some liquid or other so that
the wood swells up just in the place where it has been compacted...
maybe finish off by sanding etc...

Thanks

AL

My father who was a time served Cabinet maker used the steaming trick, as
the other posts have said, lots of times and it always worked for him.
It was a well used ' trick of the trade' which he taught me although I
never followed him into cabinet making.

Dave

david lang

dave stanton wrote:
My father who was a time served Cabinet maker used the steaming
trick, as the other posts have said, lots of times and it always
worked for him. It was a well used ' trick of the trade' which he
taught me although I never followed him into cabinet making.

What about one of those steam cleaning machines? The ones that work like a
wall paper stripper?

Dave

Andy Hall

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:42:19 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

dave stanton wrote:
My father who was a time served Cabinet maker used the steaming
trick, as the other posts have said, lots of times and it always
worked for him. It was a well used ' trick of the trade' which he
taught me although I never followed him into cabinet making.

What about one of those steam cleaning machines? The ones that work like a
wall paper stripper?

Dave

Provided that it can deliver heat and steam to the area, then
possibly.

An iron is simple though.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
dave stanton

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:42:19 +0000, david lang wrote:

dave stanton wrote:
My father who was a time served Cabinet maker used the steaming
trick, as the other posts have said, lots of times and it always
worked for him. It was a well used ' trick of the trade' which he
taught me although I never followed him into cabinet making.

What about one of those steam cleaning machines? The ones that work like a
wall paper stripper?

Dave

Dont know, my dad always used a wet rag and an old flat file heated up in
gas ring. Oh and a damp rag with old flat iron when dealing with veneer.

Dave