Ed Sirett

Default Photo story - incredible.

This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

raden

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

Can I just say ..."Kinell"

But then, a CORGI reg'd gas fitter phoned me up the other day asking me
if I could diagnose the problem with his own boiler

.... which I did

HA diddly HA

--
geoff
Doctor Drivel

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

Looks like grade D solder was used. Who fitted it? Illegal immigrants?
Then you go and ruin it all by taking the cooker supply off the boiler
supply. The boiler should have its own dedicated supply.

Henry

WOW! all I can bring myself to say!

Henry

Chris Bacon

Ed Sirett wrote:
This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

Gosh. I like the "bicycle chain" bending, on top of everything else.

fred

In article , Henry
writes

WOW! all I can bring myself to say!

Wow indeed, I love the final pic with the boiler flue just below the final
destination, should have been some sort of clue that gas was available
nearby.
--
fred
Eric The Viking

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

I reckon Viz would run that as a photo story!

Awesome! =)

ETV

Lobster

Ed Sirett wrote:
This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

Awesome! I particularly like the way the photos and piping get more and
more implausible as you progress through the sequence!

David
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:49:15 +0100, Ed Sirett wrote:

This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

I like the air gap in the gas pipe near the base of the soil stack and
down spout.

I bet your roses are loving you ATM, B-)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Andy

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

This is what I imagine passes for DIY in squatter camps like
Soweto in South Africa! I'm going with the 'illegal immigrant'
guess of the previous poster.

:-)

Andy.

Doctor Drivel

"Andy" wrote in message

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

This is what I imagine passes for DIY in squatter camps like
Soweto in South Africa! I'm going with the 'illegal immigrant'
guess of the previous poster.

:-)

Every time I have seen stuff like that, it have been a third worlder who did
it.

raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"Andy" wrote in message

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

This is what I imagine passes for DIY in squatter camps like
Soweto in South Africa! I'm going with the 'illegal immigrant'
guess of the previous poster.

:-)

Every time I have seen stuff like that, it have been a third worlder who did
it.

You mean someone who can't string together a sentence in proper English
?

--
geoff
Andy Hall

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:14:23 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

Looks like grade D solder was used. Who fitted it? Illegal immigrants?
Then you go and ruin it all by taking the cooker supply off the boiler
supply. The boiler should have its own dedicated supply.

I was thinking it might have been you, except that it's not plastic.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
news

Ed Sirett wrote:
This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

that is unbelievable !

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer Magazine.

I've seen quite a few of them and the above example takes the biscuit.

Andrew Gabriel

In article .uk,
Ed Sirett writes:
This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

Brilliant.

The boiler flue through the missing keystone of the arch
amused me too. I hope the bricking in underneath is up to
supporting the wall above.

Did you get any indication from the owner who did the
installation?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"Andy" wrote in message

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

This is what I imagine passes for DIY in squatter camps like
Soweto in South Africa! I'm going with the 'illegal immigrant'
guess of the previous poster.

:-)

Every time I have seen stuff like that, it have been a third worlder who

did
it.

You mean someone who can't string together a sentence in proper English
?

If you say so Maxie. How is Dim Lin, the Oriental enchantress, at English
Maxie. "Me say velly gud Englis".

Doctor Drivel

wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

Looks like grade D solder was used. Who fitted it? Illegal immigrants?
Then you go and ruin it all by taking the cooker supply off the boiler
supply. The boiler should have its own dedicated supply.

I was thinking it might have been you, except that it's not plastic.

Matt, it wasn't me as I would never take a cooker supply off a boiler pipe.
That is looking for trouble.

Richard Conway

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

Looks like grade D solder was used. Who fitted it? Illegal immigrants?
Then you go and ruin it all by taking the cooker supply off the boiler
supply. The boiler should have its own dedicated supply.

That's all that's wrong with it then, is it?
dennis@home

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I was thinking it might have been you, except that it's not plastic.

Plastic would be OK.
The thick yellow stuff that is.
Preferably buried.

Doctor Drivel

"Richard Conway" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

Looks like grade D solder was used. Who fitted it? Illegal immigrants?
Then you go and ruin it all by taking the cooker supply off the boiler
supply. The boiler should have its own dedicated supply.

That's all that's wrong with it then, is it?

Can't you figure what is wrong?

Richard Conway

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news

This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

Looks like grade D solder was used. Who fitted it? Illegal immigrants?
Then you go and ruin it all by taking the cooker supply off the boiler
supply. The boiler should have its own dedicated supply.

That's all that's wrong with it then, is it?

Can't you figure what is wrong?

I don't think there is anything wrong with it - although I would have
used 8mm microbore to save the bother of doing all those soldered joints.
Roger R

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

Just a general observation on pipefittings. When I've done copper
piping for water I found 45 degree bends invaluable for acheiving a
much neater job, yet these don't seem widely available in the usual
sheds.

Had 45 degree bends been available to who ever did the work in the
photos the ridiculous arrangement of the water pipes might have been
tidier, and the flattened bend in the gas pipe would have been
avoided - not that a neater arrangement would have this work in any
way acceptable.

I've never fitted any gas supply piping and don't know what is normal
practice, but is exposed external copper pipe run supported by pipe
clips ok?

Roger

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news

This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

Looks like grade D solder was used. Who fitted it? Illegal immigrants?
Then you go and ruin it all by taking the cooker supply off the boiler
supply. The boiler should have its own dedicated supply.

That's all that's wrong with it then, is it?

Can't you figure what is wrong?

I don't think there is anything wrong with it - although I would have
used 8mm microbore to save the bother of doing all those soldered joints.

I'm sure you would have.

Doctor Drivel

"Roger R" wrote in message

I've never fitted any gas supply piping and don't know what is normal
practice, but is exposed external copper pipe run supported by pipe
clips ok?

yep.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
I was thinking it might have been you, except that it's not plastic.

Plastic would be OK.
The thick yellow stuff that is.
Preferably buried.

But not approved for domestic use?

--
*The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Roger R

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...
I don't think there is anything wrong with it - although I would

have
used 8mm microbore to save the bother of doing all those soldered

joints.

I'm sure you would have.

How can you be sure? The only evidence you have is his word for it.
;-)

Roger

Richard Conway

Roger R wrote:
"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

I don't think there is anything wrong with it - although I would

have

used 8mm microbore to save the bother of doing all those soldered

joints.

I'm sure you would have.

How can you be sure? The only evidence you have is his word for it.
;-)

Roger

Maybe if I write it down in a leaflet he will be sure
Doctor Drivel

Roger R wrote:
"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

I don't think there is anything wrong with it - although I would

have

used 8mm microbore to save the bother of doing all those soldered

joints.

I'm sure you would have.

How can you be sure? The only evidence you have is his word for it.
;-)

Roger

Maybe if I write it down in a leaflet he will be sure

It that how you advertise your skills?

Richard Conway

Roger R wrote:

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
dfreenews.net...

I don't think there is anything wrong with it - although I would

have

used 8mm microbore to save the bother of doing all those soldered

joints.

I'm sure you would have.

How can you be sure? The only evidence you have is his word for it.
;-)

Roger

Maybe if I write it down in a leaflet he will be sure

It that how you advertise your skills?

You should advertise your skills - wouldn't cost too much in column inches
John

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

The thermometer should be yours Ed!

Doctor Drivel

Roger R wrote:

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
dfreenews.net...

I don't think there is anything wrong with it - although I would

have

used 8mm microbore to save the bother of doing all those soldered

joints.

I'm sure you would have.

How can you be sure? The only evidence you have is his word for it.
;-)

Roger

Maybe if I write it down in a leaflet he will be sure

It that how you advertise your skills?

You

snip idiotic drivel

dennis@home

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
I was thinking it might have been you, except that it's not plastic.

Plastic would be OK.
The thick yellow stuff that is.
Preferably buried.

But not approved for domestic use?

That's because the plumbers who are supposed to install the stuff can't get
it correct.

Andrew

Ed Sirett wrote:

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

Ed,

Does Gas Installer Magazine publish this sort of thing in an effort to
expose bad professional practice or with a view to convincing the
powers that be that gas regulation needs tightening because 'this is
the sort of thing we get if amateurs are allowed to work on their own
homes'?

Andrew

Doctor Drivel

"Andrew" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ed Sirett wrote:

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

Ed,

Does Gas Installer Magazine publish this sort of thing in an effort to
expose bad professional practice or with a view to convincing the
powers that be that gas regulation needs tightening because 'this is
the sort of thing we get if amateurs are allowed to work on their own
homes'?

They try both. They want a totally closed shop. In fact most of the pictures
they show are done by people who have bee hired to do work. Very few have
been done by responsible amateurs.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
Plastic would be OK. The thick yellow stuff that is. Preferably
buried.

But not approved for domestic use?

That's because the plumbers who are supposed to install the stuff can't
get it correct.

I'm not sure how yellow mains gas pipe is jointed, but it may be a rather
complex process for domestic use?

Or perhaps the authorities have read about Drivels experiences with simple
push fit plastic water pipes and decided to keep things as they are...

--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:

Plastic would be OK. The thick yellow stuff that is. Preferably
buried.

But not approved for domestic use?

That's because the plumbers who are supposed to install the stuff can't
get it correct.

I'm not sure

Correction. You don't know.

snip senile drivel

Dave

Roger R wrote:

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eadfreenews.net...

I don't think there is anything wrong with it - although I would

have

used 8mm microbore to save the bother of doing all those soldered

joints.

I'm sure you would have.

How can you be sure? The only evidence you have is his word for it.
;-)

Roger

Maybe if I write it down in a leaflet he will be sure

It that how you advertise your skills?

You

snip idiotic drivel

I think that your reply just about sums up your skills :-)

Can't complete.

Dave
Doctor Drivel

Roger R wrote:

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eadfreenews.net...

I don't think there is anything wrong with it - although I would

have

used 8mm microbore to save the bother of doing all those soldered

joints.

I'm sure you would have.

How can you be sure? The only evidence you have is his word for it.
;-)

Roger

Maybe if I write it down in a leaflet he will be sure

It that how you advertise your skills?

You

snip idiotic drivel

I think that your reply just about sums up your skills :-)

You obviously want idiotic drivel to continue. I bet you read Jeffery
Archer books.

Ed Sirett

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 00:14:37 +0100, Andy wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer
Magazine. An IR thermometer for me if they are.

This is what I imagine passes for DIY in squatter camps like
Soweto in South Africa! I'm going with the 'illegal immigrant'
guess of the previous poster.

East Asian I was told.

Ed Sirett

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 06:53:16 +0000, news wrote:

Ed Sirett wrote:
This has to be seen, you wouldn't believe it otherwise.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

that is unbelievable !

I'm hoping that these pics will be accepted by the Gas Installer Magazine.

I've seen quite a few of them and the above example takes the biscuit.

So far they have got past first the hurdle on are now with the technical
editor. The problem is that whilst the gas fitting is bad it's the water
pipes that are really astounding.
There are at least 6 or more 'At Risk' problems but in my opinion all of
it together was worthy of 'ID', although correct fittings were used and it
did not leak. The were at least another 3 'AR's on the cooker itself
(lost its feet & gained a rocky wooden plinth).

OT=: The Darkest Days ( long , old story but good read anyway ) Gunner Asch Metalworking 4 August 23rd 05 11:10 AM
eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] Metalworking 7 December 22nd 04 09:47 PM
eScrew Dave Jackson Woodworking 1 December 21st 04 01:54 AM
Funny story about metal [email protected] Metalworking 10 December 20th 04 05:26 PM
Funny story about repair [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 20th 04 03:35 AM