Jethro_uk

Default Cleaning mirrors !!!

Hi all

any one got a whizzo tip for cleaning large mirrors (e.g wardrobe doors) ? I
have tried vinegar, washing up liquid, milton, glass cleaner (tried that 1st
actually :-)) ....

regards

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Jethro_uk wrote:
Hi all

any one got a whizzo tip for cleaning large mirrors (e.g wardrobe
doors) ? I have tried vinegar, washing up liquid, milton, glass
cleaner (tried that 1st actually :-)) ....

regards

Chalk board duster and then a wipe with a dustfree cloth. :-)

ahem! I hear they are going missing in schools.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

david lang

Jethro_uk wrote:
Hi all

any one got a whizzo tip for cleaning large mirrors (e.g wardrobe
doors) ? I have tried vinegar, washing up liquid, milton, glass
cleaner (tried that 1st actually :-)) ....

IME it's not so much what chemical you use to clean them as the absorbency
of the wiper material.

Kitchen roll works a treat - the objective is to use something that absorbs
the cleaner before it dries on the mirror surface.

Dave

purple pete

I use Mr Muscle window cleaner and kitchen towel

The3rd Earl Of Derby

purple pete wrote:
I use Mr Muscle window cleaner and kitchen towel

Do wear a vest as well. ;-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 22:50:55 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

ahem! I hear they are going missing in schools.

Haven't been in school for a while have you. The only chalk in our
local primary is in the art box. All active white boards and computer
projectors now.

As for cleaning mirrors, elbow grease. IMHO you can't do it properly
in one pass, clean with what ever gets the muck off, then clean the
cleaner off, then polish. Kitchen roll is good for the polishing, just
ever so slighly damp, start dry it'll pick up more than enough
moisture from the glass.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 23:08:27 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

Kitchen roll works a treat

Kitchen roll isn't dust free. Blue paper garage roll is better. If
you're a mirror salesman, you start to notice this. Newsprint (no
coloured ink) is great for _cleaning_ them, but if you want to leave
them spotless, you need something really dust free.

Either meths or about 25% isopropanol works as a cleaner.

Meths really is an amazingly good solvent - and cheap. I use a bit of
kitchen roll soaked in meths to clean glass in the windows I make.

Brian Sharrock

"david lang" wrote in message
k...
Jethro_uk wrote:
Hi all

any one got a whizzo tip for cleaning large mirrors (e.g wardrobe
doors) ? I have tried vinegar, washing up liquid, milton, glass
cleaner (tried that 1st actually :-)) ....

IME it's not so much what chemical you use to clean them as the absorbency
of the wiper material.

Kitchen roll works a treat - the objective is to use something that
absorbs the cleaner before it dries on the mirror surface.

During recruit-training in the RAF we cleaned a lot of glass ... hut's
windows
and mirrors. What worked ... or stopped the DI screaming at us ... was ...
newspaper!
Scrunch newspaper into balls and, vigorously, polish off the water-vinegar
cleaning solution. Discard used paper and scrunch up another pair of pages
as necessary. IMHO, broadsheets work best ... .
One theory advanced was that the black newsprint was actually deposited into
microscopic scratches/imperfections on the glass surface and produced a
more perfect (shiny) surface.

--

Brian

Bob Martin

in 453927 20051004 084641 Stuart Noble wrote:
wrote:
Meths really is an amazingly good solvent - and cheap. I use a bit of
kitchen roll soaked in meths to clean glass in the windows I make.

Try fine wire wool. No liquid required.

Shaving foam and a towel works great!
Kalico

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 07:38:42 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:
[snip]
During recruit-training in the RAF we cleaned a lot of glass ... hut's
windows
and mirrors. What worked ... or stopped the DI screaming at us ... was ...
newspaper!
Scrunch newspaper into balls and, vigorously, polish off the water-vinegar
cleaning solution. Discard used paper and scrunch up another pair of pages
as necessary. IMHO, broadsheets work best ... .
One theory advanced was that the black newsprint was actually deposited into
microscopic scratches/imperfections on the glass surface and produced a
more perfect (shiny) surface.

I'll second that. Works a treat but be careful of rubbing any
surrounding edges with it as it can mark light coloured surfaces.

I use it all the time and it can be better than kitchen paper towels
are they tend to disintegrate and be dusty.

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply
Jo

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

any one got a whizzo tip for cleaning large mirrors (e.g wardrobe doors) ?
I have tried vinegar, washing up liquid, milton, glass cleaner (tried that
1st actually :-)) ....

regards
We use microfibre cloths - no liquid required. They work a treat and can
be used to clean car windows too. Give a great clean with no smears.

All the best,

Jo