Martin Carroll

Default roof space ventilation for loft conversion

I am just getting the plans together for a loft conversion on a house I
am renovating.

The roof is covered with a triple roman tile and the bottom row rest on
the wall plate.

I need to provide ventilation for the roof space and I was wondering if
there were any suggestions as to how I go about this. I realise I need
to put ventilation at the lowest and highest points of the roof to
provide a flow of air but I am not sure how to go about this.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
keith_765

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
I am just getting the plans together for a loft conversion on a house I
am renovating.

The roof is covered with a triple roman tile and the bottom row rest on
the wall plate.

I need to provide ventilation for the roof space and I was wondering if
there were any suggestions as to how I go about this. I realise I need
to put ventilation at the lowest and highest points of the roof to
provide a flow of air but I am not sure how to go about this.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll

No such tile as a Triple Roman, double roman yes. Bottom row of tiles don't
rest direct on to the wall plate. they rest on a tilt fillet fix to the wall
plate or the fascia board.
To vent the eave for Double Roman tiles , you require over fascia vent
strips with comb. theses are nailed to the tilt fillet or the fascia board
under the underlay felt. The underlay felt is cut back so it just laps over
the supporting part.

To vent the top of the roof you need a dry vent fixing ridge system. As you
will have to vent each individual rafter spacing

Martin Carroll

In article , keith_765
writes

[...]

[panto mode]Oh yes there is[/panto mode]

Go to http://www.arcsal.com/search.cfm and put "triple roman" in the
keyword field to see an example.

I will investigate the vent strips that you mentioned.

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
Hugo Nebula

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:10:19 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
Martin Carroll randomly hit the keyboard
and produced:

The roof is covered with a triple roman tile and the bottom row rest on
the wall plate.

The rafters rest on the wall plate. If there's no soffit or fascia,
then you'll have to reduce the masonry.

Do you have a substantial void above a flat ceiling at the top of the
roof? If so, you could instal vent tiles provided that they are
placed into the void area above any insulation (not, as I've often
seen, stuck halfway down the ceiling just ventilating between a pair
of rafters).

If you have a vaulted ceiling going into the ridge, then it will have
to be a continuous ridge vent. The dry ridge system is the best
option, but if yours is a terraced or semi-detached house, it may
raise the ridge line above your neighbours. One option I've seen is
to install 'weep vents' into the mortar fillets.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
keith_765

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
[...]

Hugo, have a look at the triple roman tile, they are not the modern type,
they are one off's. No vent tiles will match these tiles or continuous vent
ridge system. Vent ridge are probably the only option at the top and over
fascia vent strips with comb filler and underlay support at the eave.

John Rumm

Martin Carroll wrote:

I will investigate the vent strips that you mentioned.

One link a search turned up:

http://www.marleyroofing.co.uk/content/30.chtml

--
Cheers,