DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Venting soil pipe through roof or gable end ? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/122698-venting-soil-pipe-through-roof-gable-end.html)

Adrian Brentnall September 30th 05 08:37 AM

Venting soil pipe through roof or gable end ?

Hi All

Still trying to make some sense of the venting arrangements for my
drains in order to make the local Building Control bods happy and get
that all-important Completion Certificate.

So - I have a septic tank down at the bottom of the garden - and a
long-ish pipe run down to it. At the highest point there's an
earthenware 4" pipe which looks as if a 4" plastic vent pipe once went
straight up inside the bathroom and out through the roof.

Since then, a previous owner has removed the vent pipe and replaced it
with an air-admittance valve, at floor level.

Building Control want to see the AAV removed and a 'real' vent open to
the air reinstated.

Because it's in a very obvious position (in an alcove with the
washbasin / large mirror etc) I'm keen to make the whole thing look as
unobtrusive as possible. Apparently I can go from 4" to 3" pipe once
I'm above the level of the basin overflow - this will help a little
with the appearance and getting the inevitable boxing-in to be as
close to the wall as poss .

Because it's not easy catching up with the Building Bods as they're
apparently understaffed and running about on sites all day - I'm
asking here g

So - a few questions :-

a) Is it possible to get an offset adapter to go from 4" to 3" -
"in-line" ?
b) Am I going to have problems obtaining 3" pipe & fittings ?
c) Can the pipe pass out through the gable end of the bungalow (I know
about the restrictions re opening windows) - or does it have to go out
through the roof ?
d) If it goes through the roof - is this just a matter of removing a
concrete tile and fitting one of those
'ali-sheets-with-a-rubber-collar' efforts - does the ali sheet replace
the tile ??

Many thanks in advance
Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply

Lurch September 30th 05 09:39 AM

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:37:54 +0100, Adrian Brentnall adrian-the
papers and the scrawled:

a) Is it possible to get an offset adapter to go from 4" to 3" -
"in-line" ?

Yep. All the 4" - 3" adapters I've seen have been offset, whether this
is just conicidence or a standard fitting I have no idea but they are
available.

b) Am I going to have problems obtaining 3" pipe & fittings ?

Shouldn't have thought so, try a local plumbers merchants and see what
they say. If their answer is "yes sir, we keep 3" pipe and fittings in
stock and on the shelf" then job's a good 'un.

c) Can the pipe pass out through the gable end of the bungalow (I know
about the restrictions re opening windows) - or does it have to go out
through the roof ?

Pass.

d) If it goes through the roof - is this just a matter of removing a
concrete tile and fitting one of those
'ali-sheets-with-a-rubber-collar' efforts - does the ali sheet replace
the tile ??

Pretty much, I did the same here for the boiler flue and it was just a
case of remove tile, cut felt, insert flue, slip collar over and
fashion to approximate tile shape. There may have been some silicone
involved although I don't think that's strictly neccesary.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

Adrian Brentnall September 30th 05 10:13 AM

Hi Stuart

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:39:44 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:37:54 +0100, Adrian Brentnall adrian-the
papers and the scrawled:

a) Is it possible to get an offset adapter to go from 4" to 3" -
"in-line" ?

Yep. All the 4" - 3" adapters I've seen have been offset, whether this
is just conicidence or a standard fitting I have no idea but they are
available.

great !

b) Am I going to have problems obtaining 3" pipe & fittings ?

Shouldn't have thought so, try a local plumbers merchants and see what
they say. If their answer is "yes sir, we keep 3" pipe and fittings in
stock and on the shelf" then job's a good 'un.

I'll do some phoning....

c) Can the pipe pass out through the gable end of the bungalow (I know
about the restrictions re opening windows) - or does it have to go out
through the roof ?

Pass.

Hmmm - I'm just thinking that it'd look tidier if we came out through
the gable - but it would also add about 12ft to the pipe-run - so
maybe the 'straight through the roof' option is a simpler
proposition....

d) If it goes through the roof - is this just a matter of removing a
concrete tile and fitting one of those
'ali-sheets-with-a-rubber-collar' efforts - does the ali sheet replace
the tile ??

Pretty much, I did the same here for the boiler flue and it was just a
case of remove tile, cut felt, insert flue, slip collar over and
fashion to approximate tile shape. There may have been some silicone
involved although I don't think that's strictly neccesary.

Sounds straight-forward enough. By Murphy's 3rd law of DIY the hole in
the flashing slate won't correspond with the position of the hole in
the ceiling - but I guess a couple of 3" elbows will sort that one....

All sounds pretty do-able - thanks for the comments...

Adrian