Jonathan

Lurch wrote:
Some advice for the DIY types on this group: avoid this alarm --
turning it on and off is the extent of the DIY you can perform on it

There's a good reason for that.

It annoys me a bit that you can't even change the entry delay, but I
guess it does mean that Honeywell have some control over the
reliability of their installed systems.

I'm looking into the flashing LED's thing, not sure if the Domonial
has that feature tbh.

Is there a Domonial-specific external box? The guy who installed my
Domonial fitted the same external box as every other house on the road
(apart from the LEDs), but I think mine is the only Domonial system he
has fitted. Maybe I should try setting the alarm off to make sure it
works.

Lurch, you seem to know a bit about these alarms, maybe you could
answer a couple of questions since my installer seems to be on an
extended holiday (and I didn't choose him, which worries me). I have
the remote keypad with the TAG reader, but the builder (who hired the
installer) didn't give me any TAGs. Can I disable the TAGs? Also, the
tone on full-arming the system (a fast two tone sound) only lasts about
five seconds, and not the 30 that I expected. Does this seem odd?

Lurch

On 1 Oct 2005 03:12:00 -0700, "Jonathan"
scrawled:

Lurch wrote:
Some advice for the DIY types on this group: avoid this alarm --
turning it on and off is the extent of the DIY you can perform on it

There's a good reason for that.

It annoys me a bit that you can't even change the entry delay, but I
guess it does mean that Honeywell have some control over the
reliability of their installed systems.

That's the general idea. It's not just Honeywell, there are many other
alarms that are definitely not DIY and as such programming and
installation info is restricted to trade only.

I'm looking into the flashing LED's thing, not sure if the Domonial
has that feature tbh.

Is there a Domonial-specific external box? The guy who installed my
Domonial fitted the same external box as every other house on the road
(apart from the LEDs), but I think mine is the only Domonial system he
has fitted.

There is a specific Domonial box but there is a possibility that the
installer has modified it to utilise a different housing, hence the
lack of flashing LED's. Because of the way the system woreks and the
endless different ways of fitting the box then it's hard to tell if
the LED's on your box should actually flash. If you want to email me a
pic of it I can ID the box to see what it is and whether it
should\could flash.

Maybe I should try setting the alarm off to make sure it
works.

Possibly, although the LED's might not neccesarily flash when the
alarm is activated.

Lurch, you seem to know a bit about these alarms, maybe you could
answer a couple of questions since my installer seems to be on an
extended holiday (and I didn't choose him, which worries me). I have
the remote keypad with the TAG reader, but the builder (who hired the
installer) didn't give me any TAGs. Can I disable the TAGs?

Although there is a reader built in it won't work unless the tags are
first setup on the system by a current user\engineer. I'm not sure
whether you can disable it, I'm pretty sure you can't, but you can
control who sets what and what tags are registered so it's not just a
case of someone getting any tag and walking in and unsetting the
alarm.

Also, the
tone on full-arming the system (a fast two tone sound) only lasts about
five seconds, and not the 30 that I expected. Does this seem odd?

No. On all the systems I fit the system sets within 5 seconds of the
final exit door closing. I'm assuming that the installer has utilised
this function on the Domonial, althogh having never used, seen or
fitted one I don't know for certain if that is an option. To try it
out set they system then leave and time the exit time but do it twice,
first time quick as you can then 2nd time dawdle along a bit and see
if the exit time extends. If it does then it is set for final exit.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Jonathan

Lurch wrote:
I'm looking into the flashing LED's thing, not sure if the Domonial
has that feature tbh.

Is there a Domonial-specific external box? The guy who installed my
Domonial fitted the same external box as every other house on the road
(apart from the LEDs), but I think mine is the only Domonial system he
has fitted.

There is a specific Domonial box but there is a possibility that the
installer has modified it to utilise a different housing, hence the
lack of flashing LED's. Because of the way the system woreks and the
endless different ways of fitting the box then it's hard to tell if
the LED's on your box should actually flash. If you want to email me a
pic of it I can ID the box to see what it is and whether it
should\could flash.

THe box is the same one the installer fitted to non-Domonial alarms,
and all the other boxes have flashing LEDs.

[...]

I think I'll have to contact the installer -- I guess it's possible he
doesn't use the TAGs and doesn't set them up. But then why would he fit
the keypad version _with_ the TAG reader?

Also, the
tone on full-arming the system (a fast two tone sound) only lasts about
five seconds, and not the 30 that I expected. Does this seem odd?

No. On all the systems I fit the system sets within 5 seconds of the
final exit door closing. I'm assuming that the installer has utilised
this function on the Domonial, althogh having never used, seen or
fitted one I don't know for certain if that is an option. To try it
out set they system then leave and time the exit time but do it twice,
first time quick as you can then 2nd time dawdle along a bit and see
if the exit time extends. If it does then it is set for final exit.

The two-tone stops after five seconds (and the keypad stops flashing)
even when the exit door is still open, regardless of what I do. I'll do
some testing during the week -- don't really want to disturb the
neighbour's quiet weekend!

Lurch

On 1 Oct 2005 11:06:09 -0700, "Jonathan"
scrawled:

THe box is the same one the installer fitted to non-Domonial alarms,
and all the other boxes have flashing LEDs.

I've asked the question, and I don't think that the domonial box does
have comfort LED's on it. Obviously for aesthetics the installer has
fitted the workings into a normal box and as such the LED's won't
work.

The other option is that the box is in fact not a live box at all.

I think I'll have to contact the installer -- I guess it's possible he
doesn't use the TAGs and doesn't set them up. But then why would he fit
the keypad version _with_ the TAG reader?

I do the same on quite a few installations, it's an option that isa
standard on some panels\keypads and not too much extra on others so
rather than changing it later it can simply be programmed with fobs as
required.

The two-tone stops after five seconds (and the keypad stops flashing)
even when the exit door is still open, regardless of what I do. I'll do
some testing during the week -- don't really want to disturb the
neighbour's quiet weekend!

Sounds like it could be an error in the programming then which to
change is an engineer only option. Looks like the installer is going
to have to make a visit and he should be able to clear up the other
issues too.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group