Cal Mac

Default Wolf Power Generator from Screwfix

Hi All

I'm Thinking of purchasing the Wolf Power 720 Watt Generator from
Screwfix for £79.99...I would appreciate if anyone can tell me what you
can run off it....My requirements would be a fridge freezer, telly and a
couple of lights in the event of a power cut...
Thanks in Advance
Cal.

Cal Mac wrote:
Hi All

I'm Thinking of purchasing the Wolf Power 720 Watt Generator from
Screwfix for £79.99...I would appreciate if anyone can tell me what you
can run off it....My requirements would be a fridge freezer, telly and a
couple of lights in the event of a power cut...
Thanks in Advance

That all depends on the power consumption of said fridge freezer,
telly and a couple of lights! :-)

You need to take a look at the labels and/or instruction books for the
TV and the fridge/freezer and that should give you some sort of
indication of the power consumption. Add the totals together, plus
the lamp wattages and, if they add up to less that 720 watts you're OK
- maybe.

The issues that may affect this a-

The fridge/freezer will take its power in 'lumps', quite a bit of
power when the compressor is running, none at all virtually when
it's not. In addition the compressor start-up load may be too
much for the generator to cope with. A 720 watt generator may
simply not be big enough to run the fridge/freezer even though the
average power consumption is well within the generator's
capability.

The TV will probably take rather less power than the label
indicates, in addition it probably won't have much of a start up
surge/inrush.

The lamps will have a significant inrush current but this really
shouldn't be a problem as the result will simply be that they
start up somewhat slower than they would on 'real' mains.

Do you really need the generator to run the fridge/freezer, it takes
many hours for contents to warm up dangerously, espcially if you
minimise opening the door as far as possible.

--
Chris Green

John Rumm

Dave Liquorice wrote:

This is quite likely to be the show stopper, especially of there is a
couple of hundred watts of load for the telly and few lights already
on it. A typical motor needs 2 to 3 times it's rated power to start,
so a 150W fridge freezer (ball park) will require at least 450W. OK in
theory that is well within a 720W genny but these things are made down
to a price and the spec might be optomistic. Not to mention that this
is a sudden load rather than a gently increased one or steady state.
The engine could stall or slow so much that the volts drop to low for
anything to happen.

Just to add insult to injury, the fridge compressor will almost
certainly be powerd by an induction motor which will present an
inductive load to the genny. If the genny is rated at a genuine 720W you
may be ok, however you may find it is rated at 720VA, and hence the poor
power factor of the fridge will eat even further into its available output.

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Champ

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Do you really need the generator to run the fridge/freezer, it takes
many hours for contents to warm up dangerously, espcially if you
minimise opening the door as far as possible.

Depends where you are, power cuts here are measured in seconds or

6hours depending on wether the automatics fix it or if a man has to

come out and fix it. I suspect if the 1/2 mile or so of line feeding
just us came down in a storm we could be without power for *a lot*
longer...

A freezer should be good for at least 24 hours, if you keep the door
shut. Enough time for the shops to open, so you can rent a genny?

It'll last longer, and use less power, if you keep a darn great lump of
ice in the top - our Bosch even came with some plastic bricks full of
water for just this reason.

Andy

Grunff

Cal Mac wrote:

I'm Thinking of purchasing the Wolf Power 720 Watt Generator from
Screwfix for £79.99...I would appreciate if anyone can tell me what you
can run off it....My requirements would be a fridge freezer, telly and a
couple of lights in the event of a power cut...

I have one of these. They're good, but not great. The engine's ok. The
output isn't exactly clean, but it's fine for emergencies.

It'll power your TV and lights with no problems. As for the fridge, it
really depends on the fridge. I used it to run a 400W jigsaw, so it will
run motors, but depends on the motor.

BTW, if you're anywhere near Devon, mine is up for sale.

--
Grunff
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 21:18:35 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

A freezer should be good for at least 24 hours, if you keep the door
shut. Enough time for the shops to open, so you can rent a genny?

If the storm has bought the line down and, if the MetO are to be
believed re a cold winter, there is a good chance that we won't be
able to get to the shops 20+ miles away as the roads will be
blocked... We get cut off at least 2 or 3 times per winter.

It'll last longer, and use less power, if you keep a darn great lump
of ice in the top - our Bosch even came with some plastic bricks
full of water for just this reason.

Both of our freezers also came with big cold blocks. They are both A
rated as well, in the last power cut of 8hrs or so the one with the
temp display had got up to -12C from -24C. OK not thawed but in
another 16hrs?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Cal Mac wrote:
Hi All

I'm Thinking of purchasing the Wolf Power 720 Watt Generator from
Screwfix for =A379.99...I would appreciate if anyone can tell me what you
can run off it....My requirements would be a fridge freezer, telly and a
couple of lights in the event of a power cut...
Thanks in Advance
Cal.

TV and lights should be no problem. Both eat large surges at switch on,
but for a short enough time not to dog the genny down.

Fridge freezer is another matter. The prime problem is that the fully
loaded induction motors need a pretty large power surge to get running,
and I doubt the gen could provide that. If you had one its worth a try,
but I think quite likely it wont work. You can expect a lot more tban
3x surge current, it may be as much as 10x or more.

Realise the Vout will drop during this surge, and this is known for
frying fridge compresors.

Same is true for tvs: portable gens produce some large surges when
loads switch off (eg thermostatic fridge), and electronic supplies are
not necessarily capable of surviving them.

Also be aware that gnerators are rated in VA, not watts, and the VA
rating of any motor is greater than its wattage rating.

If for some odd reason you were real determined to run a fridge
compressor off a small gen, I'd suggest either using a motor generator
set with flywheel, or, giving less capacity, bolting a damn big
flywheel to the wolf gen.

NT

Dave

Cal Mac wrote:
Hi All

I'm Thinking of purchasing the Wolf Power 720 Watt Generator from
Screwfix for £79.99...I would appreciate if anyone can tell me what you
can run off it....My requirements would be a fridge freezer, telly and a
couple of lights in the event of a power cut...
Thanks in Advance
Cal.

Makro are selling an 850 Watt genny for 39-99 + Vat, if any one is
interested.

Dave
Tim..

wrote in message
ups.com...
Cal Mac wrote:
Hi All

I'm Thinking of purchasing the Wolf Power 720 Watt Generator from
Screwfix for £79.99...I would appreciate if anyone can tell me what you
can run off it....My requirements would be a fridge freezer, telly and a
couple of lights in the event of a power cut...
Thanks in Advance
Cal.

TV and lights should be no problem. Both eat large surges at switch on,
but for a short enough time not to dog the genny down.

Fridge freezer is another matter. The prime problem is that the fully
loaded induction motors need a pretty large power surge to get running,
and I doubt the gen could provide that. If you had one its worth a try,
but I think quite likely it wont work. You can expect a lot more tban
3x surge current, it may be as much as 10x or more.

I run with a 6kva unit during mains outtages, and with TV / Lights etc on,
when the fridge fires (ok so its a large amercian style one) up there is
still a very noticable drop in voltage and the engine feel quite a hit.

I would say that instantaneous statup load is 8-10x normal running current
simply because the motor is starting against a load and with the unit
stationary, its virtually a dead short to the supply.

One of those 'joke'VA Wolf et al gennys wont have a chance with a compressor
type load.

Tim..

John Rumm

Dave wrote:

Makro are selling an 850 Watt genny for 39-99 + Vat, if any one is
interested.

They had somw 1.8kVA diesel ones a while back as well - that sounds like
a more useful output.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:
Dave wrote:

Makro are selling an 850 Watt genny for 39-99 + Vat, if any one is
interested.

They had somw 1.8kVA diesel ones a while back as well - that sounds like
a more useful output.

That does, and all my other garden machinery is diesel. A 1.8kW
generator would run my electric chainsaw among other things, and the
hedge trimmer.

You can't remember how much the diesel generator was can you?

--
Chris Green

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:39:30 +0000 (UTC), "Cal Mac"
wrote:

Hi All

I'm Thinking of purchasing the Wolf Power 720 Watt Generator from
Screwfix for £79.99...I would appreciate if anyone can tell me what you
can run off it....My requirements would be a fridge freezer, telly and a
couple of lights in the event of a power cut...
Thanks in Advance
Cal.

It's worth noting that a modern freezer should keep things frozen for
~24 hours if the door is kept shut.

sponix

retrofitting an ATX psupply into a microATX psupply box - won't power dave Electronics Repair 0 March 23rd 05 03:23 PM
Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:54 AM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 10:51 PM
Screwfix PoP UK diy 28 March 12th 04 09:19 PM
Power supplies are burning out jbr Electronics Repair 19 January 22nd 04 05:47 AM