DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Avenue Supplies using uk.d-i-y posts in their advertising (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/122308-avenue-supplies-using-uk-d-i-y-posts-their-advertising.html)

Phil Addison September 26th 05 05:38 PM

Avenue Supplies using uk.d-i-y posts in their advertising

I just did a google for some words in one of my posts, and came up
with this outfit, Avenue Supplies, ripping off selected uk.d-i-y posts
for their advertising.

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/news...x.php?id=39730

Up and at em.

Phil

Dave Fawthrop September 26th 05 05:46 PM

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:38:51 GMT, Phil Addison
wrote:

| I just did a google for some words in one of my posts, and came up
| with this outfit, Avenue Supplies, ripping off selected uk.d-i-y posts
| for their advertising.
|
| http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/news...x.php?id=39730
|
| Up and at em.

It does credit uk.D-I-Y on each page, so they could plead "Fair Dealing"

UK.D-I-Y news feed brought to you by Avenue Supplies, Plumbing and

Central heating professionals Ealing London W13
Avenue Supplies is not responsible for the views, language or any other
content expressed within these groups

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.

Lorian September 26th 05 05:47 PM

"Phil Addison" wrote in message
I just did a google for some words in one of my posts, and came up
with this outfit, Avenue Supplies, ripping off selected uk.d-i-y posts
for their advertising.

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/news...x.php?id=39730

Up and at em.

Phil

That's just a link to a web interface to this group!

as they say "UK.D-I-Y news feed brought to you by Avenue Supplies,"

L.

Rob Morley September 26th 05 05:49 PM

In article ,
says...
I just did a google for some words in one of my posts, and came up
with this outfit, Avenue Supplies, ripping off selected uk.d-i-y posts
for their advertising.

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/news...x.php?id=39730

Up and at em.

Time for lots of new threads with things like like "Avenue Supplies are
******s" in the subject?

Dave Fawthrop September 26th 05 05:55 PM

wrote:

| I just did a google for some words in one of my posts, and came up
| with this outfit, Avenue Supplies, ripping off selected uk.d-i-y posts
| for their advertising.
|
| http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/news...x.php?id=39730
|
| Up and at em.

I also found

If you need immediate plumbing or building maintenance services, please
contact us at 020 8997 5071 alternatively we are available in person during
regular hours at our store.

For general questions on how to get a particular task done we recommend you
visit the U.K-D.I.Y newsgroup chances are your question may have already
been asked and answered !

On their contact us page.

I have forbidden them to use my posts on their web site. we will see what
happens.

Tony Bryer September 26th 05 05:59 PM

In article , Rob Morley
wrote:
Time for lots of new threads with things like like "Avenue
Supplies are ******s" in the subject?

Not necessary, since they are obviously just taking this as a feed
(rather than selectively lifting copy) and this thread is shown as I
write this.

If there is a gripe it's with "Computer Consulting People" who created
the site - I suspect that Avenue Supplies (like more than a few people)
have handed over a pile of dosh to some smooth talking web design firm
without appreciating what's what. From CCP's website FAQ:

"I need "stuff" but not sure what it is

We can help. Our team of Analysts, designers, architects and project
managers have experience second to none

Why would I use you when I can get the project completed for next to
nothing. My son/daughters friend is a whiz with computers and told me
it could be done in a weekend. Failing that I can always higher a
company from asia I hear its cheaper.

Good luck."

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

RedSky September 26th 05 06:00 PM

"Phil Addison" wrote in message
I just did a google for some words in one of my posts, and came up
with this outfit, Avenue Supplies, ripping off selected uk.d-i-y posts
for their advertising.

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/news...x.php?id=39730

Up and at em.

Hardly a crime. They credit uk.diy. It would be different if they were
claiming it to be their FAQ.
It's not as if they are misleading anyone.

Bob Eager September 26th 05 06:05 PM

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:38:51 UTC, Phil Addison
wrote:

I just did a google for some words in one of my posts, and came up
with this outfit, Avenue Supplies, ripping off selected uk.d-i-y posts
for their advertising.

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/news...x.php?id=39730

Up and at em.

Right now, the latest thread on there is this one!

http://laminateflooring.oncloud8.com

Chris Bacon September 26th 05 06:11 PM

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
I have forbidden them to use my posts on their web site.

Why? They seem quite open about it. They've given their CORGIs
reg. no., they're afiliated to the BHF, they seem DIY orientated,
they give tips, teh are just offering one of those webby interfaces
to uk.d-i-y, which they specifically mention? What's the problem?

Phil Addison September 26th 05 06:15 PM

wrote:

| I just did a google for some words in one of my posts, and came up
| with this outfit, Avenue Supplies, ripping off selected uk.d-i-y posts
| for their advertising.
|
| http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/news...x.php?id=39730
|
| Up and at em.

It does credit uk.D-I-Y on each page, so they could plead "Fair Dealing"

The posts are selected, whether automatically or manually, to draw
attention to the hardware they display around the posts. Thus a post
about a Honeywell CM-67 is surrounded by related items that are for
sale.

UK.D-I-Y news feed brought to you by Avenue Supplies, Plumbing and

Central heating professionals Ealing London W13
Avenue Supplies is not responsible for the views, language or any other
content expressed within these groups

They are not providing a news feed - they are taking selected messages
and embedding them in their sales pages.

Phil

(c) Copyright 2005
This Usenet message is Copyright by the author. It may not be
re-published in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM, or database,
packaged with any commercial product, or published in print, without the
explicit, written, permission of the author. The copyright of any
included material belongs to the original author.

Avenue Supplies, Plumbing and Central Heating Professionals, of Ealing,
London W13 are expressly forbidden to re-publish this message.

Archiving by Google is permitted.

Phil Addison September 26th 05 06:21 PM

wrote:

I just did a google for some words in one of my posts, and came up
with this outfit, Avenue Supplies, ripping off selected uk.d-i-y posts
for their advertising.

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/news...x.php?id=39730

Up and at em.

Right now, the latest thread on there is this one!

You're looking somewhere else Bob. The link above is just one example of
a selected post used to advertise their products. The 'latest post'
features elsewhere on the site.

Phil

(c) Copyright 2005
This Usenet message is Copyright by the author. It may not be
re-published in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM, or database,
packaged with any commercial product, or published in print, without the
explicit, written, permission of the author. The copyright of any
included material belongs to the original author.

Avenue Supplies, Plumbing and Central Heating Professionals, of Ealing,
London W13 are expressly forbidden to re-publish this message.

Archiving by Google is permitted.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
e-mai1: editor (a t) diyfaq (stop) o r g (stop) uk = make obvious corrections

:::Jerry:::: September 26th 05 06:39 PM

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in
message ...
snip

I have forbidden them to use my posts on their web site. we will

see what
happens.

I doubt, legally, you can - Usenet being in the public domain.

Not that I'm defending their actions, morally they are in the wrong,
even if they are not doing anything illegal.

Bob Eager September 26th 05 07:11 PM

wrote:

I just did a google for some words in one of my posts, and came up
with this outfit, Avenue Supplies, ripping off selected uk.d-i-y posts
for their advertising.

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/news...x.php?id=39730

Up and at em.

Right now, the latest thread on there is this one!

You're looking somewhere else Bob. The link above is just one example of
a selected post used to advertise their products. The 'latest post'
features elsewhere on the site.

I was just looking at the list down the left hand side. At the time, the
above link showed the top item of the list as this thread...

It now has my 'forbidden' thread there too..

Dave Fawthrop September 26th 05 07:15 PM

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:15:59 GMT, Phil Addison
wrote:

| (c) Copyright 2005

Should be (C) Phil Addison 2005

| This Usenet message is Copyright by the author. It may not be
| re-published in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM, or database,
| packaged with any commercial product, or published in print, without the
| explicit, written, permission of the author. The copyright of any
| included material belongs to the original author.
|
| Avenue Supplies, Plumbing and Central Heating Professionals, of Ealing,
| London W13 are expressly forbidden to re-publish this message.

Absolutely anything one writes is copyright, but it does no harm reminding
people

Rob Morley September 26th 05 07:23 PM

In article ws.net,
LID says...

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in
message ...
snip

I have forbidden them to use my posts on their web site. we will

see what
happens.

I doubt, legally, you can - Usenet being in the public domain.

You own the copyright on anything that you post to Usenet - just because
it's widely distributed and easy to copy and paste doesn't mean that
people can republish it in a different format without your permission.

Grunff September 26th 05 08:24 PM

Chris Bacon wrote:

Why? They seem quite open about it. They've given their CORGIs
reg. no., they're afiliated to the BHF, they seem DIY orientated,
they give tips, teh are just offering one of those webby interfaces
to uk.d-i-y, which they specifically mention? What's the problem?

The issue is this. The primary reason for including uk.d-i-y material on
their site is to boost site content, and therefore improve search engine
performance for their site, and specifically for their product pages.

Many of us who post here have a problem with the material we write being
used for commercial gain without our consent - google does it, but
google also a) allows you to opt out, and b) provides a very useful
archive in exchange.

--
Grunff

:::Jerry:::: September 26th 05 08:29 PM

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article

ws.net,
LID says...

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in
message ...
snip

I have forbidden them to use my posts on their web site. we

will
see what
happens.

I doubt, legally, you can - Usenet being in the public domain.

You own the copyright on anything that you post to Usenet - just

because
it's widely distributed and easy to copy and paste doesn't mean

that
people can republish it in a different format without your

permission.

It's not quite the same, you are placing it (in effect) on a public
bill board - you can't stop people copying it - especially if they
have as much right to the bill boards content as anyone else.

Morally, it's wrong what Avenue Supplies is doing and I'm certainly
not trying to condone their activity, but it's not illegal as they
are giving due credit and are not passing off the content as their
own. What you and others are suggesting is a bit like trying to deign
nntp access to a disliked ISP - or even Google archive....

Chris Bacon September 26th 05 08:49 PM

Phil Addison wrote:

Phil

(c) Copyright 2005
This Usenet message is Copyright by the author. It may not be
re-published in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM, or database,
packaged with any commercial product, or published in print, without the
explicit, written, permission of the author. The copyright of any
included material belongs to the original author.

If you think that sort of rubbish is OK, you must believe in
"disclaimers", too. If it *was* true, which thankfully it is
not, then you'd have rendered the whole of Usenet unworkable.

Avenue Supplies, Plumbing and Central Heating Professionals, of Ealing,
London W13 are expressly forbidden to re-publish this message.

Petty, and pettish, IMO.

Archiving by Google is permitted.

Yeah, right. What about the thousands of other newsfeeds
worldwide. Refer back to my first comment, above.

Dave Fawthrop September 26th 05 09:15 PM

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:49:17 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

| Phil Addison wrote:
|
| Phil
|
| (c) Copyright 2005
| This Usenet message is Copyright by the author. It may not be
| re-published in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM, or database,
| packaged with any commercial product, or published in print, without the
| explicit, written, permission of the author. The copyright of any
| included material belongs to the original author.
|
| If you think that sort of rubbish is OK, you must believe in
| "disclaimers", too. If it *was* true, which thankfully it is
| not, then you'd have rendered the whole of Usenet unworkable.

At limit Phil is *legally* totally correct, one can do whatever you like
with your copyright work, which includes all usenet postings.

raden September 26th 05 09:26 PM

In message , Phil Addison
writes
I just did a google for some words in one of my posts, and came up
with this outfit, Avenue Supplies, ripping off selected uk.d-i-y posts
for their advertising.

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/news...x.php?id=39730

I get a blank page

--
geoff

raden September 26th 05 09:32 PM

In message , Dave Fawthrop
writes
wrote:

| I just did a google for some words in one of my posts, and came up
| with this outfit, Avenue Supplies, ripping off selected uk.d-i-y posts
| for their advertising.
|
| http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/news...x.php?id=39730
|
| Up and at em.

It does credit uk.D-I-Y on each page, so they could plead "Fair Dealing"

UK.D-I-Y news feed brought to you by Avenue Supplies, Plumbing and

Central heating professionals Ealing London W13
Avenue Supplies is not responsible for the views, language or any other
content expressed within these groups

It doesn't matter, they're a commercial set up prolly trying to attract
business via their website from uk.d-i-y

Posts are copyright

I still can't see anything but a blank page though

The main page works though

--
geoff

Chris Bacon September 26th 05 09:32 PM

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
| Phil Addison wrote:
|
| Phil
|
| (c) Copyright 2005
| This Usenet message is Copyright by the author. It may not be
| re-published in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM, or database,
| packaged with any commercial product, or published in print, without the
| explicit, written, permission of the author. The copyright of any
| included material belongs to the original author.
|
| If you think that sort of rubbish is OK, you must believe in
| "disclaimers", too. If it *was* true, which thankfully it is
| not, then you'd have rendered the whole of Usenet unworkable.

At limit Phil is *legally* totally correct, one can do whatever you like
with your copyright work, which includes all usenet postings.

Righto, so where does that leave Usenet , then?

P.S. Do *you* believe in "disclaimers"?

Bob Eager September 26th 05 09:32 PM

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:26:55 UTC, raden wrote:

In message , Phil Addison
writes
I just did a google for some words in one of my posts, and came up
with this outfit, Avenue Supplies, ripping off selected uk.d-i-y posts
for their advertising.

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/news...x.php?id=39730

I get a blank page

Yes, it's started to do that. Wonder if it's a knee jerk to limit the
damage?

Chris Bacon September 26th 05 09:37 PM

Bob Eager wrote:
raden wrote:
Phil Addison writes
I just did a google for some words in one of my posts, and came up
with this outfit, Avenu Supplie, ripping off selected uk.d-i-y posts
for their advertising.

http://www.avenuesupplie.co.uk/news2/index.php?id=39730

I get a blank page

Yes, it's started to do that. Wonder if it's a knee jerk to limit the
damage?

"It" started to do that some time ago. It's possibly a reaction to
certain "maiden aunt" behaviour exhibited elsewhere.

:::Jerry:::: September 26th 05 09:37 PM

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

| Phil Addison wrote:
|
| Phil
|
| (c) Copyright 2005
| This Usenet message is Copyright by the author. It may not be
| re-published in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM, or

database,
| packaged with any commercial product, or published in print,

without the
| explicit, written, permission of the author. The copyright of

any
| included material belongs to the original author.
|
| If you think that sort of rubbish is OK, you must believe in
| "disclaimers", too. If it *was* true, which thankfully it is
| not, then you'd have rendered the whole of Usenet unworkable.

At limit Phil is *legally* totally correct, one can do whatever you

like
with your copyright work, which includes all usenet postings.

If that is correct you have just killed Usenet and more importantly
the nntp protocol...

raden September 26th 05 09:38 PM

In message , Rob Morley
writes
In article ,
says...
I just did a google for some words in one of my posts, and came up
with this outfit, Avenue Supplies, ripping off selected uk.d-i-y posts
for their advertising.

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/news...x.php?id=39730

Up and at em.

Time for lots of new threads with things like like "Avenue Supplies are
******s" in the subject?

Or rather

"This post is copyright and is intended for the uk.d-i-y newsgroup only.
It may not be reproduced in any way, shape or form by Avenue supplies"

I also notice that they are using those really crap Abcot universal fans

While on the subject, what are peoples' thoughts on diybanter ?

--
geoff

:::Jerry:::: September 26th 05 09:43 PM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Phil

Addison
writes
I just did a google for some words in one of my posts, and came up
with this outfit, Avenue Supplies, ripping off selected uk.d-i-y

posts
for their advertising.

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/news...x.php?id=39730

I get a blank page

So do I now, the threads are listed on the home page but all resolve
to blank pages...

Chris Bacon September 26th 05 09:49 PM

raden wrote:
Rob Morley writes:
"This post is copyright and is intended for the uk.d-i-y newsgroup only.
It may not be reproduced in any way, shape or form by Avenue supplies"

While on the subject, what are peoples' thoughts on diybanter ?

Complain about it. Also, while you're at it, complain about
any service for which people have to pay anything to access
Usenet posts in any way that each individual posting has not
expressly permitted. After that, please complain about each
and every free provider. "We'll soon scotch this malarky!".
(C)[1].

[1] N.B. This mark has absolutely no significance.

raden September 26th 05 10:10 PM

In message , Grunff
writes
Chris Bacon wrote:

Why? They seem quite open about it. They've given their CORGIs
reg. no., they're afiliated to the BHF, they seem DIY orientated,
they give tips, teh are just offering one of those webby interfaces
to uk.d-i-y, which they specifically mention? What's the problem?

The issue is this. The primary reason for including uk.d-i-y material
on their site is to boost site content, and therefore improve search
engine performance for their site, and specifically for their product
pages.

Many of us who post here have a problem with the material we write
being used for commercial gain without our consent - google does it,
but google also a) allows you to opt out, and b) provides a very useful
archive in exchange.

Succinctly put

--
geoff

Phil Addison September 26th 05 11:19 PM

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:49:17 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Chris Bacon
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:

Phil

(c) Copyright 2005
This Usenet message is Copyright by the author. It may not be
re-published in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM, or database,
packaged with any commercial product, or published in print, without the
explicit, written, permission of the author. The copyright of any
included material belongs to the original author.

If you think that sort of rubbish is OK, you must believe in
"disclaimers", too. If it *was* true, which thankfully it is not,

You clearly have never looked into copyright law and it's implications
on the net. Disclaimers are an entirely different matter. Here's a few
links to get you started if you want to avoid making yourself look a
fool next time.

Especially the first two.

10 Big Myths about copyright explained
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

A brief intro to copyright
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copyright.html

http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue5/copyright/
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/rights/links.htm
http://usgenweb.org/volunteers/copyright.shtml
http://www.cyndislist.com/copyrite.htm
http://publaw.com/cfaqs.html
http://www.copyright.gov/
http://www.rexx.com/~jaguar/copyright.html#TO

then you'd have rendered the whole of Usenet unworkable.

Wow - I never knew I had such power.

RichardS September 26th 05 11:22 PM

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

| Phil Addison wrote:
|
| Phil
|
| (c) Copyright 2005
| This Usenet message is Copyright by the author. It may not be
| re-published in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM, or

database,
| packaged with any commercial product, or published in print,

without the
| explicit, written, permission of the author. The copyright of

any
| included material belongs to the original author.
|
| If you think that sort of rubbish is OK, you must believe in
| "disclaimers", too. If it *was* true, which thankfully it is
| not, then you'd have rendered the whole of Usenet unworkable.

At limit Phil is *legally* totally correct, one can do whatever you

like
with your copyright work, which includes all usenet postings.

If that is correct you have just killed Usenet and more importantly
the nntp protocol...

How so?

--

Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Suz September 26th 05 11:23 PM

"Phil Addison" wrote in message
I just did a google for some words in one of my posts, and came up
with this outfit, Avenue Supplies, ripping off selected uk.d-i-y posts
for their advertising.

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/news...x.php?id=39730

Up and at em.

Phil

So much for the 'friendly' in their disclaimer:

** Parts of this website contain information gathered from the UK.D-I-Y
newsgroup. Whilst we make our best effort to sanitise the content from this
group of which we consider to be one of the most informative and friendly
groups on UUNET its very hard to provide a "catch all" when your dealing
with the building trade ;-)

Phil Addison September 26th 05 11:30 PM

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:32:35 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Chris Bacon
wrote:

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
| Phil Addison wrote:
|
| Phil
|
| (c) Copyright 2005
| This Usenet message is Copyright by the author. It may not be
| re-published in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM, or database,
| packaged with any commercial product, or published in print, without the
| explicit, written, permission of the author. The copyright of any
| included material belongs to the original author.
|
| If you think that sort of rubbish is OK, you must believe in
| "disclaimers", too. If it *was* true, which thankfully it is
| not, then you'd have rendered the whole of Usenet unworkable.

At limit Phil is *legally* totally correct, one can do whatever you like
with your copyright work, which includes all usenet postings.

Righto, so where does that leave Usenet , then?

Alive and very well thank you.

P.S. Do *you* believe in "disclaimers"?

Oh dear, you are confused. A copyright says 'this is mine and if you
want to copy it you have to negotiate with me'. A disclaimer says 'even
if I did write this - and I might not have - you can't touch me for any
consequences to you if you act on it'.

I take it you are referring to blanket disclaimers, appended by company
servers to their staff email. In all probability they are valueless, but
that has yet to be tested in law.

Phil Addison September 26th 05 11:38 PM

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:39:26 +0100, in uk.d-i-y ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in
message ...
snip

I have forbidden them to use my posts on their web site. we will

see what
happens.

I doubt, legally, you can - Usenet being in the public domain.

Not that I'm defending their actions, morally they are in the wrong,
even if they are not doing anything illegal.

Morally, it looks as if they have taken our little protest to heart and
switched that bit of the site off, while they think about it.

Perhaps they haven't realised that they've frozen their feed with the
top post still displayed right in the middle of their home page saying
"AVENUE SUPPLIES IS CRAP!".

Phil

(c) Avenue Supplies have my permission to publish this message :-)

Phil Addison September 26th 05 11:40 PM

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:23:10 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Rob Morley
wrote:

In article ws.net,
LID says...

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in
message ...
snip

I have forbidden them to use my posts on their web site. we will

see what
happens.

I doubt, legally, you can - Usenet being in the public domain.

You own the copyright on anything that you post to Usenet - just because
it's widely distributed and easy to copy and paste doesn't mean that
people can republish it in a different format without your permission.

Make that "... doesn't mean that people can republish it AT ALL without
your permission."

Phil

Phil Addison September 26th 05 11:44 PM

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:29:37 +0100, in uk.d-i-y ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

It's not quite the same, you are placing it (in effect) on a public
bill board - you can't stop people copying it - especially if they
have as much right to the bill boards content as anyone else.

Morally, it's wrong what Avenue Supplies is doing and I'm certainly
not trying to condone their activity, but it's not illegal as they
are giving due credit and are not passing off the content as their
own. What you and others are suggesting is a bit like trying to deign
nntp access to a disliked ISP - or even Google archive....

No, it's not illegal in the sense they can go to jail for it, but
copyright is a civil offence which means you can sue them for any losses
you incur or any profit they make from using your work without
permission, plus expenses. It's the last bit that usually scares
infringers off - lawyers are VERY expensive.

Phil

Phil Addison September 26th 05 11:47 PM

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 23:23:01 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Suz"
wrote:

"Phil Addison" wrote in message
I just did a google for some words in one of my posts, and came up
with this outfit, Avenue Supplies, ripping off selected uk.d-i-y posts
for their advertising.

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/news...x.php?id=39730

Up and at em.

Phil

So much for the 'friendly' in their disclaimer:

** Parts of this website contain information gathered from the UK.D-I-Y
newsgroup. Whilst we make our best effort to sanitise the content from this
group of which we consider to be one of the most informative and friendly
groups on UUNET its very hard to provide a "catch all" when your dealing
with the building trade ;-)

You should see us when we're really annoyed :)

Phil

Phil Addison September 26th 05 11:56 PM

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:24:10 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Grunff
wrote:

Chris Bacon wrote:

Why? They seem quite open about it. They've given their CORGIs
reg. no., they're afiliated to the BHF, they seem DIY orientated,
they give tips, teh are just offering one of those webby interfaces
to uk.d-i-y, which they specifically mention? What's the problem?

The issue is this. The primary reason for including uk.d-i-y material on
their site is to boost site content, and therefore improve search engine
performance for their site, and specifically for their product pages.

Many of us who post here have a problem with the material we write being
used for commercial gain without our consent - google does it, but
google also a) allows you to opt out, and b) provides a very useful
archive in exchange.

Indeed, and in so doing Google made a commercial coup second only to
eBay. There was a good documentary about eBay last night.

Phil

Andy Dingley September 27th 05 01:05 AM

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 22:26:17 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Moreover, even if you have waived your copyright, you have *not* waived
your moral rights.

Which under UK copyright law are barely visible anyway.

There's no court in the world going to support a claim of "breach of
copyright" over a Usenet posting. You certainly do retain the copyright
and the moral rights, but the implied licence to redistribute anything
on Usenet is enormous. In no way can Avenue Supplies, or even the
accursed DIYBanter, be said to be infringing copyright on a posting
you've deliberately made to a worldwide distributed store-and-forward
system like Usenet.

Rob Morley September 27th 05 06:08 AM

In article ,
says...
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:23:10 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Rob Morley
wrote:

In article ws.net,
LID says...

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in
message ...
snip

I have forbidden them to use my posts on their web site. we will
see what
happens.

I doubt, legally, you can - Usenet being in the public domain.

You own the copyright on anything that you post to Usenet - just because
it's widely distributed and easy to copy and paste doesn't mean that
people can republish it in a different format without your permission.

Make that "... doesn't mean that people can republish it AT ALL without
your permission."

What I was getting at is that Usenet works by forwarding posts, and you
couldn't reasonably object to anyone anywhere carrying this newsgroup
unaltered on their server, but as soon as they transfer it to e.g. a web
page or a printed document they are effectively republishing it.