Mary Fisher

Default Does anyone here know anything about ...

....shoemaking?

Mary

Hugh Jampton

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:05:42 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

...shoemaking?

German F1 racing driver. Several times world champion. Drives for Ferrari.

HTH.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Mary Fisher wrote:
...shoemaking?

Mary

I watched a programme on Sky about making safety boots. Fascinating, it was,
but I dare say it's not what you're after, Mary.

Si

Mary Fisher

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:05:42 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

...shoemaking?

German F1 racing driver. Several times world champion. Drives for Ferrari.

HTH.

No.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Mary Fisher

"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
...shoemaking?

Mary

I watched a programme on Sky about making safety boots. Fascinating, it
was, but I dare say it's not what you're after, Mary.

What did you learn about it?

Mary

Si

Dave

You're just talking cobblers now! :-)

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
...shoemaking?

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Dave" wrote in message
You're just talking cobblers now! :-)

No, a cobbler is a shoe repairman, not a maker.

Rrasppppppp!

:-)

Mary

david lang

Mary Fisher wrote:

|| No, a cobbler is a shoe repairman, not a maker.

That would be a Cordwainer.

Dave

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Mary Fisher wrote:
...shoemaking?

Mary

I watched a programme on Sky about making safety boots. Fascinating,
it was, but I dare say it's not what you're after, Mary.

What did you learn about it?

It wasn't in the greatest detail but it showed all the processes from
tanning the hides to vulcanizing the sole to the boot. Mostly by machine of
course.

Si

ben

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
You're just talking cobblers now! :-)

No, a cobbler is a shoe repairman, not a maker.

Rrasppppppp!

:-)

Mary

I think you'll find he/she makes shoes if asked. :-P

Michael Mcneil

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net

...shoemaking?

http://www.marywalesloomis.com/index.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~lizjones429/shoe-advice.html

http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc...e/SHOEHOME.HTM

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes
...shoemaking?

Yes

I am from Kettering

--
geoff
keith_765

"Dave" wrote in message
You're just talking cobblers now! :-)

No, a cobbler is a shoe repairman, not a maker.

Rrasppppppp!

:-)

Mary

Also known as a Cordwainer

Brian Sharrock

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:05:42 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

...shoemaking?

German F1 racing driver. Several times world champion. Drives for Ferrari.

HTH.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Cobblers to that!

That was my _Last_ job!

Do Cobblers make shoes to last?

et.al.

--

Brian

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:
...shoemaking?

Mary

I watched a programme on Sky about making safety boots. Fascinating,
it was, but I dare say it's not what you're after, Mary.

What did you learn about it?

It wasn't in the greatest detail but it showed all the processes from
tanning the hides to vulcanizing the sole to the boot. Mostly by machine
of course.

It would have been interesting but, as you surmise, not what I was after.
Thanks anyway,

Mary

Si

Mary Fisher

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
...shoemaking?

http://www.marywalesloomis.com/index.html

Gee!

http://home.earthlink.net/~lizjones429/shoe-advice.html

Some useful stuff, thank you.

http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc...e/SHOEHOME.HTM

Already known but thanks anyway.

But you don't know anything about it yourself ?

Mary

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes
...shoemaking?

Yes

I am from Kettering

OK, Dwahling, what do you know? Except that shoes were made there.

Mary

--
geoff

Brian Sharrock

"david lang" wrote in message
. uk...
Mary Fisher wrote:

|| No, a cobbler is a shoe repairman, not a maker.

That would be a Cordwainer.

Dave

That trade crops up frequently on genealogy records
A cordwainer (AIUI) is one who works with Cordovan
leather (a particularly fine flexible leather from
the town of Cordoba(sp?) in Spain. Fine, flexible
items would be manufactured from Cordovan leather
such as gloves - it is not inconceivable that 'toffs'
might have shoes made by their Cordwainer ... AIU
Cordwainer != shoemaker.
It's a bit like a cardboard-box folder being styled
an _Origami artiste_; even though the techniques are
similar.

--

Brian

Martin Bonner

Brian Sharrock wrote:
"david lang" wrote in message
. uk...
Mary Fisher wrote:

|| No, a cobbler is a shoe repairman, not a maker.

That would be a Cordwainer.

Dave

That trade crops up frequently on genealogy records
A cordwainer (AIUI) is one who works with Cordovan
leather (a particularly fine flexible leather from
the town of Cordoba(sp?) in Spain. Fine, flexible
items would be manufactured from Cordovan leather
such as gloves - it is not inconceivable that 'toffs'
might have shoes made by their Cordwainer ... AIU
Cordwainer != shoemaker.
It's a bit like a cardboard-box folder being styled
an _Origami artiste_; even though the techniques are
similar.

My sister-out-law refers to herself as a cordwainer when she makes
leather bags and belts. The leather she uses for that is a lot stiffer
than most shoe-leather. She is using the word just to mean
"leather-worker".

The old copy of Collins by my desk gives cordwainer as "Archaic: A
shoemaker or worker in leather" (and then proceeds to give the
derivation from Cordoba).

Mary Fisher

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

"david lang" wrote in message
. uk...
Mary Fisher wrote:

|| No, a cobbler is a shoe repairman, not a maker.

That would be a Cordwainer.

Dave

That trade crops up frequently on genealogy records
A cordwainer (AIUI) is one who works with Cordovan
leather (a particularly fine flexible leather from
the town of Cordoba(sp?) in Spain. Fine, flexible
items would be manufactured from Cordovan leather
such as gloves - it is not inconceivable that 'toffs'
might have shoes made by their Cordwainer ... AIU
Cordwainer != shoemaker.
It's a bit like a cardboard-box folder being styled
an _Origami artiste_; even though the techniques are
similar.

It's much more general than that these days - shoes and accessories in all
sorts of leather and other materials are designed and made at Cordwainers
College.

Mary

--

Brian

Rick

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:05:42 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

...shoemaking?

Mary

I know little except that in the streets of Cairo round the Babzewalla
Mosque, you will find litterally hundreds of small business making
shoes to fit.

Rick

Michael Mcneil

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net

Already known but thanks anyway.
But you don't know anything about it yourself ?

No. What is the interest? There is no way anyone not already well
trained can compete with modern machines and/or cheap imports.

Mary Fisher

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
news:4d988bd049e6d1f69e1c4fe1104bc374.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net

Already known but thanks anyway.
But you don't know anything about it yourself ?

No. What is the interest? There is no way anyone not already well
trained can compete with modern machines and/or cheap imports.

The interest is that many of us have feet which aren't catered for by
standard sizes in commercially produced shoes. There are two answers to
that: hand-made shoes (frightfuly expensive) or make them yourself. Spouse
has made all mine and many of his own (including all our Roman, Dark Age and
Mediaeval ones) for years but now he's being asked to cater for others.

I thought someone here might know more than we do. It seems that they don't,
which is fair enough.

There's a huge amount of untapped knowledge on d-i-y skills in this ng, any
question is worth asking.

Mary

Mary Fisher

wrote:

...shoemaking?

Mary

I know little except that in the streets of Cairo round the Babzewalla
Mosque, you will find litterally hundreds of small business making
shoes to fit.

It's a long way to go and expensive to travel for something one can do one's
self :-)

Mary

Rick

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes
...shoemaking?

Yes

I am from Kettering

OK, Dwahling, what do you know? Except that shoes were made there.

Err that's about it

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

...shoemaking?

Yes

I am from Kettering

OK, Dwahling, what do you know? Except that shoes were made there.

Err that's about it

LOL! I expected as much :-)

I knew too. And about Northampton. And I've been to the wonderful Clarks
Museum in Street (that's a small town in Somerset). And I know some places
in Yorkshire where clogs are made.

But not much more so you're not alone.

Mary

--
geoff

Rick

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:59:16 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

...shoemaking?

Mary

I know little except that in the streets of Cairo round the Babzewalla
Mosque, you will find litterally hundreds of small business making
shoes to fit.

It's a long way to go and expensive to travel for something one can do one's
self :-)

Mary

Rick

You can make shoes, can you make the to fit very weird shaped feet, if
you can then lets talk. My mum has major issues with shoes, the last
people to hand make some for her,made shoes that were useless.

Rick

Mary Fisher

"Rick" wrote in message

I know little except that in the streets of Cairo round the Babzewalla
Mosque, you will find litterally hundreds of small business making
shoes to fit.

It's a long way to go and expensive to travel for something one can do
one's
self :-)

Mary

Rick

You can make shoes, can you make the to fit very weird shaped feet, if
you can then lets talk. My mum has major issues with shoes, the last
people to hand make some for her,made shoes that were useless.

Rick

Well, we can talk - but you were just suggesting going to Cairo ... :-)

Mary

Rick

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:46:55 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Rick" wrote in message
.. .

I know little except that in the streets of Cairo round the Babzewalla
Mosque, you will find litterally hundreds of small business making
shoes to fit.

It's a long way to go and expensive to travel for something one can do
one's
self :-)

Mary

Rick

You can make shoes, can you make the to fit very weird shaped feet, if
you can then lets talk. My mum has major issues with shoes, the last
people to hand make some for her,made shoes that were useless.

Rick

Well, we can talk - but you were just suggesting going to Cairo ... :-)

Mary

Me mum won't go, she won't leave Great Britian. I even got a friend
who lives there to volenteer to act as a guide for her, but alas ...

Me Mums feet are not far off being as wide as they are long, she has
arthritus in several joints, but still likes to spend all day up and
walking her dogs .......... Somewhat of a challenge I guess ?

Rick

Mary Fisher

"Rick" wrote in message
news

Well, we can talk - but you were just suggesting going to Cairo ... :-)

Mary

Me mum won't go, she won't leave Great Britian. I even got a friend
who lives there to volenteer to act as a guide for her, but alas ...

I don't blame her. Full of tourists :-)

Me Mums feet are not far off being as wide as they are long,

Ours are too. What's more I have hammer toes but they're going to be
straightened.

she has
arthritus in several joints, but still likes to spend all day up and
walking her dogs .......... Somewhat of a challenge I guess ?

Apart from the dogs she sounds like me...

If you're serious mail me.

But I'm not promising anything.

Mary

Rick

Stephen Gower

Mary Fisher wrote:

that: hand-made shoes (frightfuly expensive) or make them yourself. Spouse
has made all mine and many of his own (including all our Roman, Dark Age and
Mediaeval ones) for years but now he's being asked to cater for others.

Gosh, I knew you'd been around a while, but I didn't realise you
went back to Roman Times.
--
Selah

Mary Fisher

"Stephen Gower" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

that: hand-made shoes (frightfuly expensive) or make them yourself. Spouse
has made all mine and many of his own (including all our Roman, Dark Age
and
Mediaeval ones) for years but now he's being asked to cater for others.

Gosh, I knew you'd been around a while, but I didn't realise you
went back to Roman Times.

That reference referred to the last four centuries of Rome. I don't give my
age away but yes, we we've been around for quite a time :-)

Mary