r.p.mcmurphy

Default Harnessing ones own gas

Hehe! Seriously though, with the continuing price rises by BG and others,
is it a diy possibility to produce and store gas produced from your
households sewerage?

cheers

steve

Tim Morley

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
Hehe! Seriously though, with the continuing price rises by BG and others,
is it a diy possibility to produce and store gas produced from your
households sewerage?

cheers

steve

This is illegal; once your sewage has entered the fall pipe it is deemed to
be the property of your local water authority. They have the legal right to
your waste, and therefore you are not allowed to do anything with it at all.

HTH

r.p.mcmurphy

"Tim Morley" tim.morley*REMOVE wrote in message
.uk...

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
Hehe! Seriously though, with the continuing price rises by BG and
others, is it a diy possibility to produce and store gas produced from
your households sewerage?

cheers

steve

This is illegal; once your sewage has entered the fall pipe it is deemed
to be the property of your local water authority. They have the legal
right to your waste, and therefore you are not allowed to do anything with
it at all.

HTH

ok, what about growing my own rapeseed oil for use in domestic heating and
for use in my car?

steve

Chris Bacon

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:
"Tim Morley" wrote
"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote...
Hehe! Seriously though, with the continuing price rises by BG and
others, is it a diy possibility to produce and store gas produced from
your households sewerage?

This is illegal; once your sewage has entered the fall pipe it is deemed
to be the property of your local water authority. They have the legal
right to your waste, and therefore you are not allowed to do anything with
it at all.

Intercept it before it gets there, then! Not likely to get much
output, though. If you want to harness gas, you could start with
Dr. Drivel and Mary Fisher.

ok, what about growing my own rapeseed oil for use in domestic heating and
for use in my car?

That's fine, but you'd need to be a Good Boy and Tell Customs And
Excise So that They could Levvy The Tax (innocence: Yes, I only
produced 500 litres... What! 5,000!!! Where did you get *that*
idea from! ).
Ali Mac

ok, what about growing my own rapeseed oil for use in domestic heating and
for use in my car?

steve

I saw aTop Gear a couple of years ago when they were talking about recycling
vegetable oil from chip shops for use as a diesel substitute. You can do
anything like this, but apparently you have to pay fuel duty. Still a lot
cheaper than buying it though. Now how many acres of rape would you need to
run a family car for a year.....?

Alistair

John Rumm

Ali Mac wrote:

I saw aTop Gear a couple of years ago when they were talking about recycling
vegetable oil from chip shops for use as a diesel substitute. You can do
anything like this, but apparently you have to pay fuel duty. Still a lot
cheaper than buying it though. Now how many acres of rape would you need to
run a family car for a year.....?

IIRC one of the artichoke family is one of the best things to grow for
production of bio diesel - you can get quite significant yields per acre.

Not sure what the taxation issues would be on using it for house heating
though. You can grow stuff and burn it for heating without any
liability, so it seems reasonable that you ought to be able to introduce
a refining process in there ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

S Viemeister

Tim Morley wrote:

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote
Hehe! Seriously though, with the continuing price rises by BG and others,
is it a diy possibility to produce and store gas produced from your
households sewerage?

This is illegal; once your sewage has entered the fall pipe it is deemed to
be the property of your local water authority. They have the legal right to
your waste, and therefore you are not allowed to do anything with it at all.

This isn't likely to apply to those of us who use septic systems!

Sheila
Mark

r.p.mcmurphy wrote in message
Hehe! Seriously though, with the continuing price rises by BG and others,
is it a diy possibility to produce and store gas produced from your
households sewerage?

cheers

steve

I let storage space to a local breakdown recovery firm who also attend to
people who put petrol in diesel cars and vice versa.
This contaminated fuel has had its duty paid and would cost £40 x 25Lt for
them to dispose of.
So I have recently acquired a Rolls-Royce K60 multi fuel engine which I hope
to hang a Huge generator on.
Free electricity/Heat for a few years. :-)

-

Mr Fizzion

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:41:32 GMT, "Ali Mac"
wrote:

I saw aTop Gear a couple of years ago when they were talking about recycling
vegetable oil from chip shops for use as a diesel substitute. You can do
anything like this, but apparently you have to pay fuel duty. Still a lot
cheaper than buying it though. Now how many acres of rape would you need to
run a family car for a year.....?

What about Harry Ramsden's who use beef dripping? Yum!!

Can you run a car on animal fat? When you think about it, converting
grass into fuel through cows is quite an interesting idea.

Mr F.

Paul Andrews

"Mark" wrote in message
news snip
So I have recently acquired a Rolls-Royce K60 multi fuel engine which I

hope
to hang a Huge generator on.
Free electricity/Heat for a few years. :-)

Just as long as I don't live next door. Bit noisy for the neighbours..

Ian Stirling

wrote:

I saw aTop Gear a couple of years ago when they were talking about recycling
vegetable oil from chip shops for use as a diesel substitute. You can do
anything like this, but apparently you have to pay fuel duty. Still a lot
cheaper than buying it though. Now how many acres of rape would you need to
run a family car for a year.....?

What about Harry Ramsden's who use beef dripping? Yum!!

Can you run a car on animal fat? When you think about it, converting
grass into fuel through cows is quite an interesting idea.

You can, you need to process it first.
google
foolproof biodiesel process

raden

In message , Mark
writes

r.p.mcmurphy wrote in message
Hehe! Seriously though, with the continuing price rises by BG and others,
is it a diy possibility to produce and store gas produced from your
households sewerage?

cheers

steve

I let storage space to a local breakdown recovery firm who also attend to
people who put petrol in diesel cars and vice versa.

What about the woman who I just managed to stop putting petrol in the
brake fluid reservoir of her Hillman Imp some years ago

Brake fluid is rubbish a pig to get burning

--
geoff
Bob Eager

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:24:51 UTC, raden wrote:

In message , Mark
writes

r.p.mcmurphy wrote in message
Hehe! Seriously though, with the continuing price rises by BG and others,
is it a diy possibility to produce and store gas produced from your
households sewerage?

I let storage space to a local breakdown recovery firm who also attend to
people who put petrol in diesel cars and vice versa.

What about the woman who I just managed to stop putting petrol in the
brake fluid reservoir of her Hillman Imp some years ago

I had a case where a woman filled up her radiator with petrol - Hillman
Imp too. You can see why, if you know Imps.

http://laminateflooring.oncloud8.com
Mark

raden wrote in message
Hehe! Seriously though, with the continuing price rises by BG and

others,
is it a diy possibility to produce and store gas produced from your
households sewerage?

cheers

steve

I let storage space to a local breakdown recovery firm who also attend to
people who put petrol in diesel cars and vice versa.

What about the woman who I just managed to stop putting petrol in the
brake fluid reservoir of her Hillman Imp some years ago

Brake fluid is rubbish a pig to get burning

Hmm.. Hillman Imp brake reservoir capacity ?
This thing is a 7000cc 2-stroke ,That's about one missed bang then. :-)

-

Ian Stirling

Mark wrote:

raden wrote in message
Hehe! Seriously though, with the continuing price rises by BG and

others,
is it a diy possibility to produce and store gas produced from your
households sewerage?

cheers

steve

I let storage space to a local breakdown recovery firm who also attend to
people who put petrol in diesel cars and vice versa.

What about the woman who I just managed to stop putting petrol in the
brake fluid reservoir of her Hillman Imp some years ago

Brake fluid is rubbish a pig to get burning

Hmm.. Hillman Imp brake reservoir capacity ?
This thing is a 7000cc 2-stroke ,That's about one missed bang then. :-)

Petrol in the brake fluid, not brake fluid in the petrol.

On 14 Sep 2005 09:41:42 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Petrol in the brake fluid, not brake fluid in the petrol.

It has been known for the wrong fuel to be dispensed via a pump in a
garage.

I recall a news report on the radio - I think it might have been LBC
Radio in London. This must be going back about 10 -15 years ago when a
new superstore (complete with petrol station) opened in or near
Yeovil. Apparently, the engineers incorrectly connected the supply
onto a petrol pump. I think people wanting unleaded got diesel and
people wanting diesel got unleaded.

Around 140 customers were affected before the error was identified.

Also Years ago, there was a patrol officer for either the AA or RAC
who wrote a book about some of the amusing problems that he and other
patrol officers had come across on their travels. The patrol officer
was interviewed on radio. The interview was on LBC radio
in London.

The patrol officer said that he was called to a petrol station to deal
with a car where someone had accidentally filled up their petrol tank
with diesel. The patrol officer told the driver that they would need
to arrange with a garage to drain the tank.

The patrol officer drove off after several minutes - and just as he
was doing so - there was a major explosion at the petrol station.

The motorist had pushed their car over to the car vacum cleaner. They
purchased a token, removed the back seat in the car (it was an old
car) to reveal the petrol tank and removed the inspection cover to the
tank. They shoved the hose from the car vac into the tank and put in
the token.

The petrol in the tank was ignited by the spark in the car vac's
electric motor.

Graham

Richard Conway

[...]

....and the patrol officer became witness to another Darwin award
presentation!

Mark wrote:

So I have recently acquired a Rolls-Royce K60 multi fuel engine which I hope
to hang a Huge generator on.

(Sadly) a piece-of-crap engine. A B40 would have been a lot better.
Even then almost anything commercial is a better bet than an ex-mil
Rolls. At least it wasn't the infernal Leyland lump out of the
Chieftain.

If you want a methane powered generator, then buy something modern and
small. Just getting the sizing right is a big help and any Honka genny
dealer should sell off-the-shelf propane kits that do most of the work
for you. Some of the Stalwart refurb people are doing gas conversions
for the B series lumpen and a K series is much the same kit.

If you're insistent on doing it with big old iron, then '50s petrol
truck engines are worth a look (mine was an Austin). But one of the
best engines around for cow-power is a straight-six Jag (and the
mil-version is ready-to-roll, if a little hard to find).

I suggest uk.rec.engines.stationary for discussion of these topics.
Lots of genny people in there.

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:24:51 GMT, raden wrote:

Brake fluid is rubbish a pig to get burning

If it's DOT 3 glycol and not old enough to be full of water, then you
can get it going hypergolically with some potassium permanganate.

That's if you can _find_ permanganate of potash these days. 8-(

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:08:10 +0200, AJH wrote:

Half a stalwart engine out of a champ, part of a rush for common
components that was beaten by stock engines from Rover.

The Stolly is quite a bit different, as it's a laid-down block. That "B
series" concept never worked really much more than commonality of blocks
and reciprocating parts, and causing the B40 engine to be vastly
overweight for what it was capable of.

Won't run on diesel either.

They will, or at least did, but I'm not sure how common the bits were.
There were even diesel-fuelled Meteors (the land Merlin)

raden

In message , Andy Dingley
writes
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:24:51 GMT, raden wrote:

Brake fluid is rubbish a pig to get burning

If it's DOT 3 glycol and not old enough to be full of water, then you
can get it going hypergolically with some potassium permanganate.

That's if you can _find_ permanganate of potash these days. 8-(

There's a jam jar of it somewhere in the loft

Right next bbq ...

--
geoff
Rick

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:22:09 GMT, "Tim Morley" tim.morley*REMOVE
wrote:

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
Hehe! Seriously though, with the continuing price rises by BG and others,
is it a diy possibility to produce and store gas produced from your
households sewerage?

cheers

steve

This is illegal; once your sewage has entered the fall pipe it is deemed to
be the property of your local water authority. They have the legal right to
your waste, and therefore you are not allowed to do anything with it at all.

HTH

That may be the case, but some of us have "private sewage", so it
remains our property / problem.

I am somewhat interested to see answers to the orignal question.

Rick

Rick

wrote:

ok, what about growing my own rapeseed oil for use in domestic heating and
for use in my car?

steve

I saw aTop Gear a couple of years ago when they were talking about recycling
vegetable oil from chip shops for use as a diesel substitute. You can do
anything like this, but apparently you have to pay fuel duty. Still a lot
cheaper than buying it though. Now how many acres of rape would you need to
run a family car for a year.....?

Alistair

You can actually buy chip shop oil for use in your car, with the road
fund duty paid. Its about the same price as proper diesel, and you
have to buy 1000 litre tanks.

Rick

Bob Mannix

wrote:

ok, what about growing my own rapeseed oil for use in domestic heating
and
for use in my car?

steve

I saw aTop Gear a couple of years ago when they were talking about
recycling
vegetable oil from chip shops for use as a diesel substitute. You can do
anything like this, but apparently you have to pay fuel duty. Still a lot
cheaper than buying it though. Now how many acres of rape would you need
run a family car for a year.....?

Alistair

You can actually buy chip shop oil for use in your car, with the road
fund duty paid. Its about the same price as proper diesel, and you
have to buy 1000 litre tanks.

Why would you wish to, unless it was significantly cheaper?

Bob Mannix

Tony Bryer

In article , Bob Mannix wrote:
You can actually buy chip shop oil for use in your car, with the road
fund duty paid. Its about the same price as proper diesel, and you
have to buy 1000 litre tanks.

Why would you wish to, unless it was significantly cheaper?

It's cheaper if it's reused oil - as viewers of yesterday's Working Lunch
will know:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ch/4246534.stm

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Rick

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:59:22 +0100, "Bob Mannix"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

ok, what about growing my own rapeseed oil for use in domestic heating
and
for use in my car?

steve

I saw aTop Gear a couple of years ago when they were talking about
recycling
vegetable oil from chip shops for use as a diesel substitute. You can do
anything like this, but apparently you have to pay fuel duty. Still a lot
cheaper than buying it though. Now how many acres of rape would you need
run a family car for a year.....?

Alistair

You can actually buy chip shop oil for use in your car, with the road
fund duty paid. Its about the same price as proper diesel, and you
have to buy 1000 litre tanks.

Why would you wish to, unless it was significantly cheaper?

Bob Mannix

Thats why I don't use it. At 10p a litre cheeper, I would.

Rick

Michael Mcneil

"Ali Mac" wrote in message

ok, what about growing my own rapeseed oil for use in domestic heating and
for use in my car?

Now how many acres of rape would you need to run a family car for a year?

But you would still have the bulk of the crop for fodder. The actual
seed is only a small part of the plant. And it does grow quickly I
believe.

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.re...d0890d0?hl=en&

Mark

AJH wrote in message
A B40 would have been a lot better.

Won't run on diesel either.

I have a couple of acquaintances who run ex mod vehicles on
petrol/diesel mixes recovered by breakdown crews, one even attempted
to circumnavigate the isle of white with some. The K60 6 cylinder 12
piston unit powered this.

Attempted yes,
I have just realised the flaw in this plan after test running this thing
for 10 minutes at only 1250 rpm
I was horrified at it fuel consumption.
No wonder the country is going broke and we are running out of oil if the
army have been using any number of these for the last ? years.
I may have to go round all the local petrol stations every night switching
the petrol/diesel labels.

-

Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:59:22 +0100, Bob Mannix wrote:

You can actually buy chip shop oil for use in your car, with the
road fund duty paid. Its about the same price as proper diesel, and
you have to buy 1000 litre tanks.

Why would you wish to, unless it was significantly cheaper?

Most (all?) cooking oils are vegetable derived thus carbon neutral.
The fact that HMG inists on taxing such energy sources at the same
rate as fossil fuels really shows which side this government thinks
it's bread is buttered. The government is only paying lip service to
developing renewable energy.

Bio derived fuels ought be taxed at a rate significantly less than
fossil derived ones. The coresponding decrease in the retail price
would create a demand and thus stimulate the production of such
renewable fuels.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Matt

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:59:22 +0100, Bob Mannix wrote:

You can actually buy chip shop oil for use in your car, with the
road fund duty paid. Its about the same price as proper diesel, and
you have to buy 1000 litre tanks.

Why would you wish to, unless it was significantly cheaper?

Most (all?) cooking oils are vegetable derived thus carbon neutral.

But they are not environment neutral, like most so called green
products they can cause huge "unseen" problems. Displacement of
traditional crops for biofuel production is conveniently forgotten,
the excitation requirements for wind turbines is another, the toxic
waste from solar cell production is another. The list goes on and on.

The fact that HMG inists on taxing such energy sources at the same
rate as fossil fuels really shows which side this government thinks
it's bread is buttered.

On the underside if you drop it, using the vast butter mountain. ;-)

The government is only paying lip service to
developing renewable energy.

Maybe they want to avoid a monoculture environment and ensure there is
still food on the shelves down at Tesco when you drive there in an
"environmentally friendly" car.

Bio derived fuels ought be taxed at a rate significantly less than
fossil derived ones. The coresponding decrease in the retail price
would create a demand and thus stimulate the production of such
renewable fuels.

When they start putting a significant amount of freight back on
rails.... expect fuel duty cuts on biofuels to follow within five
years :-)

Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:58:26 +0100, Matt wrote:

Most (all?) cooking oils are vegetable derived thus carbon neutral.

But they are not environment neutral,

I carefully didn't mention the enviroment only carbon. B-)

... like most so called green products they can cause huge "unseen"
problems. Displacement of traditional crops for biofuel production
is conveniently forgotten, the excitation requirements for wind
turbines is another, the toxic waste from solar cell production is
another. The list goes on and on.

Everything we do produces waste some of it pretty nasty some of it
more or less harmless. The land around here could be used to grow
willow, all be it slowly compared to lower and warmer climes. I
suspect you could still have the sheep grazing between the stumps once
established.

The government is only paying lip service to developing renewable
energy.

Maybe they want to avoid a monoculture environment and ensure there
is still food on the shelves down at Tesco ...

More likely they are responding to the commercial pressure groups.
It's well know that wind farms are much more effcient off shore but
all the private companies want to build on shore because it's
significantly cheaper. Perfectly obvious that they are not building
windfarms to "save the planet" only to get get money from HMG for the
benefit of the directors and shareholders.

When they start putting a significant amount of freight back on
rails....

Oink flap, the canals could be used as well.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail