newbornmole

Default Smeg fan motor trips RCD - How can I test?

My smeg A42 range has been tripping the house RCD recently when turning
the main [fan] oven off.

Trial and error has led me to find that that if the fan motor is
physically disconnected then the above fault does not happen. As soon
as I reconnect it will trip again as soon as the oven is turned off.
Someone has said that I must not disconnect the fan for long or the
element will burn out.

Does anyone know a test I can do on the motor to prove that it is the
motor causing this. I have a bog standard multimeter. (AC, and OHms).

Or can anyone think of another reason for this?

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Ian Stirling

newbornmole wrote:
My smeg A42 range has been tripping the house RCD recently when turning
the main [fan] oven off.

Trial and error has led me to find that that if the fan motor is
physically disconnected then the above fault does not happen. As soon
as I reconnect it will trip again as soon as the oven is turned off.
Someone has said that I must not disconnect the fan for long or the
element will burn out.

Does anyone know a test I can do on the motor to prove that it is the
motor causing this. I have a bog standard multimeter. (AC, and OHms).

Or can anyone think of another reason for this?

Measure from each side of the motor connections to its frame.
It should measure infinite resistnace (keep fingers out of the way).
However, passing this test does not mean that it's OK.
newbornmole

Thanks Ian,

Should I do this test while the motor is running?

murrietalker

"newbornmole" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Ian,

Should I do this test while the motor is running?

I think it would be advisable for you to get a service engineer in !

Ian Stirling

newbornmole wrote:
Thanks Ian,

Should I do this test while the motor is running?

Err, no!
Disconnect it, and do it while it's NOT live.

Resetting controller on Ariston dishwasher bob Home Ownership 2 December 5th 06 09:56 AM
Repair Service for Test & Measurement Equipment luaurence Electronics Repair 0 September 17th 04 04:31 AM
Repair Service for Test & Measurement Equipment luaurence Electronics Repair 0 September 12th 04 08:01 AM
test for Jimbo dale Metalworking 3 November 13th 03 05:52 PM
Possible Condensation Solution? - Test Data Tom Watson Woodworking 4 November 7th 03 08:51 PM