Default Slippy venetian blind cords

Huge wrote:
We have two John Lewis venetian blinds which rely on a captive knurled
nut to prevent the cords from slipping - the cord is supposed to grip
the nut which fits into a tapered sleeve & clamps the cord, preventing
it from running out (hard to describe, sorry).

Over the years, this arrangement has slowly stopped working, the nut no
longer grips the cords which slowly run through the arrangement & the
blind goes down, accompanied by amusing squeeking and groaning noises.

So, is there any way I can make it work properly again? Possibly by
treating the cords with something?

I have this problem so I will be glad to see if there is a remedy. Some
of the things that I do to stop the blinds slipping is to push the
knurled wheel up tight against the cord with a stick. Easy for me to do
as the blinds are in the box room converted into an office so it is
easy to reach out and do, not so easy in a living room or kitchen.
I did replace one of the cords but it was only a temporary solutions.
I sometimes find that yanking the cords sharply gets the knurled wheel
to lock in place but now the cords are fraided to badly. I also tried
rubbing chalk on the cords but agian it only helped temparariy.
I think that the only solution is to replace the cords and considering
the effort and expense it might be simpler to change the blinds.

Kevin

John Schmitt

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:14:26 +0100, Huge wrote:

So, is there any way I can make it work properly again? Possibly by
treating the cords with something?

You could try rosin. Do you know a violinist?

John Schmitt
raden

In message , Huge
writes
We have two John Lewis venetian blinds which rely on a captive knurled
nut to prevent the cords from slipping - the cord is supposed to grip
the nut which fits into a tapered sleeve & clamps the cord, preventing
it from running out (hard to describe, sorry).

Over the years, this arrangement has slowly stopped working, the nut no
longer grips the cords which slowly run through the arrangement & the
blind goes down, accompanied by amusing squeeking and groaning noises.

Are you sure that the knurled nuts are free to move up and down, or is
something preventing them locking the cord in place ?

--
geoff
Capitol

Buy some new nylon cord, weld it onto the bottom end of the existing
cord and pull it through. It only takes about half an hour to restring them.

Regards
Capitol

John Schmitt

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 11:30:38 +0100, Huge wrote:

[rosin to improve CoF]

It was. Came the next day, and works an absolute treat. Strongly
recommended. No more slippy cords!

Good grief! Two wins in a single weekend. Not only has the rosin worked,
but a friend of mine waiting for his cataract operation who could not read
the manual for his new DVD unit had his problems eliminated on my
suggestions. Became involved in a barbie on Sunday, so I seem to be on a
winning streak.

John Schmitt