curious

Default oak door varnish

I want to varnish a pine door to match some existing oak doors. I find
that
oak colour varnish dries with a redish tinge while natural oak with
clear
varnish has a brownish tings. What colour of varnish would you recomend
for
the pine door?

david lang

curious wrote:
I want to varnish a pine door to match some existing oak doors.

Two things - it's impossible to stain pine to look exactly like oak, but you
may get a similar colour.

Second, don't use a coloured varnish, they all look complete pants. Stain
the wood with a wood die then varnish over that.

Dave

Andy

"david lang" wrote in message
. uk...
curious wrote:
I want to varnish a pine door to match some existing oak doors.

Two things - it's impossible to stain pine to look exactly like oak, but
you may get a similar colour.

Second, don't use a coloured varnish, they all look complete pants. Stain
the wood with a wood die then varnish over that.

Dave

I'll second that: the moment you chip the new varnish you will see the old
pine colour underneath.

Andy.

Pete C

On 29 Aug 2005 11:10:29 -0700, "curious" wrote:

I want to varnish a pine door to match some existing oak doors. I find
that
oak colour varnish dries with a redish tinge while natural oak with
clear
varnish has a brownish tings. What colour of varnish would you recomend
for
the pine door?

Hi,

Have a look at the Sikkens website, their stains are designed to go on
light woods and are pretty durable.

You may have to vary the number of coats to get an exact match, even
mix two colours together (eg pine and oak) if necessary. Practice on
some sizable scraps is essential.

AFAIK pine can be a bit problematic with spirit stains that are
designed to soak into the wood, would welcome any experiences on this
though.

cheers,
Pete.