Autolycus

Default Shower wastes

Just got a £3.99 shower waste from Screwfix, and it only comes with one
big grooved rubber washer. Does this go below the shower tray, and if
so, what (if anything) seals between the chrome bit and the top of the
tray? I somehow don't think I'd get a very helpful answer from
Screwfix.

I think I'd better leave the trap easily accessible just to be safe.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Richard Conway

Autolycus wrote:
Just got a £3.99 shower waste from Screwfix, and it only comes with one
big grooved rubber washer. Does this go below the shower tray, and if
so, what (if anything) seals between the chrome bit and the top of the
tray? I somehow don't think I'd get a very helpful answer from Screwfix.

I think I'd better leave the trap easily accessible just to be safe.

I bought a sink waste from B&Q a while ago that came with one grooved
washer as yours did. The instructions said that the washer should go at
the top between the sink and the chrome bit and use plumbers mait on the
bottom. I did this but it looked crap as the washer raised the chrome
bit too much. I took it all out again, put some plumbers mait around
the chrome bit and put the washer at them bottom and it looked better
and worked fine (no leaks!)
Ian_m

"Autolycus" wrote in message
Just got a £3.99 shower waste from Screwfix, and it only comes with one
big grooved rubber washer. Does this go below the shower tray, and if so,
what (if anything) seals between the chrome bit and the top of the tray?
I somehow don't think I'd get a very helpful answer from Screwfix.

I think I'd better leave the trap easily accessible just to be safe.

Mine looked crap with washer on top. So I did washer on the bottom and
silicone sealant on the top (as well as generous silicone underneath on
washer as well). That was 5 years ago and last time I looked under the
shower (during decorating, not just as something to pass the time) all was
fine and dry.

Christian McArdle

Just got a £3.99 shower waste from Screwfix, and it only comes with one
big grooved rubber washer. Does this go below the shower tray, and if
so, what (if anything) seals between the chrome bit and the top of the
tray?

The bottom. I don't always bother sealing the top. As long as the bottom is
sealed, there's nowhere for the water to go except down the drain.

Christian.

Andy Hall

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:30:29 +0100, "Autolycus"
wrote:

Just got a £3.99 shower waste from Screwfix, and it only comes with one
big grooved rubber washer. Does this go below the shower tray, and if
so, what (if anything) seals between the chrome bit and the top of the
tray? I somehow don't think I'd get a very helpful answer from
Screwfix.

I think I'd better leave the trap easily accessible just to be safe.

I fitted something similar a while ago.

- Bead of silicone sealer around the waste, then insert into tray.
- Small bead of silicone sealer on underside of tray around fitting
- Add washer
- Another small bead of sealer
- Add nut and tighten

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Mr Fuxit

The bottom. I don't always bother sealing the top. As long as the bottom is
sealed, there's nowhere for the water to go except down the drain.

That's just what I thought, until I found that the water was coming
down through the threads!

Christian McArdle

That's just what I thought, until I found that the water was coming
down through the threads!

I've always found about 1kg of silicone sealant does wonders for wastes.

Christian.

Roger

The message .com
from "Mr Fuxit" contains these words:

The bottom. I don't always bother sealing the top. As long as the bottom is
sealed, there's nowhere for the water to go except down the drain.

That's just what I thought, until I found that the water was coming
down through the threads!

Which only goes to show why the suppliers suggest putting the washer
above the base. That way sealing the retaining nut thread is irrelevant.

--
Roger Chapman
Christian McArdle

Which only goes to show why the suppliers suggest putting the washer
above the base. That way sealing the retaining nut thread is irrelevant.

The problem is that this method doesn't work with integral overflow types,
like modern basins and Belfast sinks.

Christian.

Richard Conway

Christian McArdle wrote:
Which only goes to show why the suppliers suggest putting the washer
above the base. That way sealing the retaining nut thread is irrelevant.

The problem is that this method doesn't work with integral overflow types,
like modern basins and Belfast sinks.

Christian.

I think its fair to say that it is pretty unlikely you will get a leak
free seal wherever you put the washer without using silicone or plumbers
mait or the likes.