Broadback

Default Advice for papering one wall different

I'm ok at papering , however I wish to paper three walls with one paper
and the 4th wall a contrasting paper.
As we know walls are never true, so how is the best way to avoid areas
in the corners showing uneven, or even gaps between the different
papers? I'm sure I will find it difficult to trim both papers the same,
and butt evenly. :-(
Richard Conway

Broadback wrote:
I'm ok at papering , however I wish to paper three walls with one paper
and the 4th wall a contrasting paper.
As we know walls are never true, so how is the best way to avoid areas
in the corners showing uneven, or even gaps between the different
papers? I'm sure I will find it difficult to trim both papers the same,
and butt evenly. :-(

You could wrap one slightly around the corner and then cut the other
into the corner, then use some overlap/border adhesive to get the top
paper to adhere to the bottom. Still tricky to get the sheet you cut
spot on, but at least if its slightly uneven you will have the other
paper behind it and not bare wall!
S Viemeister

Richard Conway wrote:

Broadback wrote:
I'm ok at papering , however I wish to paper three walls with one paper
and the 4th wall a contrasting paper.
As we know walls are never true, so how is the best way to avoid areas
in the corners showing uneven, or even gaps between the different
papers? I'm sure I will find it difficult to trim both papers the same,
and butt evenly. :-(

You could wrap one slightly around the corner and then cut the other
into the corner, then use some overlap/border adhesive to get the top
paper to adhere to the bottom. Still tricky to get the sheet you cut
spot on, but at least if its slightly uneven you will have the other
paper behind it and not bare wall!

Or you could wrap _both_ around the corner, and use a straight-edge and
razor/knife to cut through both layers, then remove the excess.

Sheila
Nigel Molesworth

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:34:15 +0100, Broadback wrote:

I wish to paper three walls with one paper
and the 4th wall a contrasting paper.

Strange how this has come back into fashion after 30 years, I blame
the TV makeover programmes.

--
Nigel M
John Cartmell

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
Richard Conway wrote:

Broadback wrote:
I'm ok at papering , however I wish to paper three walls with one paper
and the 4th wall a contrasting paper.
As we know walls are never true, so how is the best way to avoid areas
in the corners showing uneven, or even gaps between the different
papers? I'm sure I will find it difficult to trim both papers the same,
and butt evenly. :-(

You could wrap one slightly around the corner and then cut the other
into the corner, then use some overlap/border adhesive to get the top
paper to adhere to the bottom. Still tricky to get the sheet you cut
spot on, but at least if its slightly uneven you will have the other
paper behind it and not bare wall!

Or you could wrap _both_ around the corner, and use a straight-edge and
razor/knife to cut through both layers, then remove the excess.

Having first painted the wall (just the corner edge will do) in the
neutral/background colour of one of the wallpapers.

John Cartmell

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
Richard Conway wrote:

Broadback wrote:
I'm ok at papering , however I wish to paper three walls with one paper
and the 4th wall a contrasting paper.
As we know walls are never true, so how is the best way to avoid areas
in the corners showing uneven, or even gaps between the different
papers? I'm sure I will find it difficult to trim both papers the same,
and butt evenly. :-(

You could wrap one slightly around the corner and then cut the other
into the corner, then use some overlap/border adhesive to get the top
paper to adhere to the bottom. Still tricky to get the sheet you cut
spot on, but at least if its slightly uneven you will have the other
paper behind it and not bare wall!

Or you could wrap _both_ around the corner, and use a straight-edge and
razor/knife to cut through both layers, then remove the excess.

Or paper across the corner with a thin strip of one of the papers - if the
paper is thick then tear just the front off the paper and use that. But
*never* cut paper with a knife as above - tear it and the join will disappear.

Harry Bloomfield

It happens that Broadback formulated :
I'm ok at papering , however I wish to paper three walls with one paper and
the 4th wall a contrasting paper.
As we know walls are never true, so how is the best way to avoid areas in the
corners showing uneven, or even gaps between the different papers? I'm sure
I will find it difficult to trim both papers the same, and butt evenly. :-(

You wrap one around and under the other one, which is then trimmed to
the corner. Best if any vertical lines in the print are avoided, or
spaced well in from the corners.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Lobster

John Cartmell wrote:

Or you could wrap _both_ around the corner, and use a straight-edge and
razor/knife to cut through both layers, then remove the excess.

Or paper across the corner with a thin strip of one of the papers - if the
paper is thick then tear just the front off the paper and use that. But
*never* cut paper with a knife as above - tear it and the join will disappear.

Rubbish - there is certainly a place for tearing wallpaper to make
concealed joins, but this isn't it.

Consider two sheets of wet paper side by side, overlapping by an inch...
you run a new Stanley blade down the overlap (doesn't even need to be a
straight-line cut) and then peel back both sheets. Remove the two
trimmings and paste the two sheets back, and the butt joints will be
completely invisible (assuming correct pattern matching).

Very difficult to do it in a corner as the OP wants, though.

David

S Viemeister

Lobster wrote:

Rubbish - there is certainly a place for tearing wallpaper to make
concealed joins, but this isn't it.

Consider two sheets of wet paper side by side, overlapping by an inch...
you run a new Stanley blade down the overlap (doesn't even need to be a
straight-line cut) and then peel back both sheets. Remove the two
trimmings and paste the two sheets back, and the butt joints will be
completely invisible (assuming correct pattern matching).

Very difficult to do it in a corner as the OP wants, though.

The suggestion to underpaint in the main colour is a good one - any
shrinkage is less likely to be noticed.

John Cartmell

In article , Lobster
wrote:
John Cartmell wrote:

[...]

Which is why you are almost certainly wanting to conceal part of the join.

Brian Sharrock

"Broadback" wrote in message
I'm ok at papering , however I wish to paper three walls with one paper
and the 4th wall a contrasting paper.
As we know walls are never true, so how is the best way to avoid areas in
the corners showing uneven, or even gaps between the different papers?
I'm sure I will find it difficult to trim both papers the same, and butt
evenly. :-(

Gosh! Three wall in one pattern and t'other in a different colour ...
that was so.o.o fashionable in the late fifties -early sixties ...
that's so last century! even last millennium !
Are you going to panel over the doors with hardboard - that flat
look must be coming back ? Got the melamine covered coffee table with
the spindly legs?

Seriously; anybody with knowledge of this bumble design practise
should be claiming failing memory in their defence and not revealing
the knacks.

--

Brian