Ben Blaukopf

Default Viewing a house - potential problems

I'm looking at properties to buy, and the one yesterday had the boiler
flue pretty close to a window - certainly within 30cm. Which means that
if the boiler conked out, I'd need to put the new one somewhere else,
which could be tricky.... However, the window it's next too is a three
part sash window. Would anything prevent me, if necessary, from screwing
down one part of the sash, so that the boiler flue suddenly became more
than the requisite 300mm from an *opening* window?

Secondly, the en-suite shower has clearly been leaking onto the living
room ceiling. The leak actually looks the width of a waste pipe, and is
a few feet long. Does that imply something more serious than a simple
leaking connection, or can it simply be that the water is running all
the way down the outside of the pipe, wetting the whole ceiling in a
pipe-like shape?

Ben
Christian McArdle

Which means that if the boiler conked out, I'd need to put the new one
somewhere else, which could be tricky....

Modern flues are now very configurable. They can have bends and go up to 20m
or so in some cases. You might find it easier to keep the boiler where it is
and run the flue somewhere better.

Does that imply something more serious than a simple leaking connection,
or can it simply be that the water is running all the way down the
outside of the pipe, wetting the whole ceiling in a pipe-like shape?

You'll never know until you lift the floor, or the ceiling drops off.

Christian.

Owain

Ben Blaukopf wrote:
Secondly, the en-suite shower has clearly been leaking onto the living
room ceiling. The leak actually looks the width of a waste pipe, and is
a few feet long. Does that imply something more serious than a simple
leaking connection,

If it's been leaking long enough you might have rot.

Owain

Lobster

Ben Blaukopf wrote:

Secondly, the en-suite shower has clearly been leaking onto the living
room ceiling. The leak actually looks the width of a waste pipe, and is
a few feet long. Does that imply something more serious than a simple
leaking connection, or can it simply be that the water is running all
the way down the outside of the pipe, wetting the whole ceiling in a
pipe-like shape?

I'd say the 'width of a waste pipe' stain is more likely to be where
water has leaked through the ceiling along the junction of two sheets of
plasterboard. If water was running along the outside of a pipe it would
be more likely to run along the pipe to the lowest point, then fall off
on to the ceiling... not likely that water would fall off evenly along
the pipe.

Not sure how or if that helps; but maybe it was a one-off leak which
dried out?

David
chris French

In message , Lobster
writes
Ben Blaukopf wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I'd go along with that suggestion.

It could well have been a one off leak, we had that happen. If it is
persistent leak then the plasterboard should be damp and probably quite
crumbly underneath the paper and skim (if applied)

It is possible that it had been happening badly enough to cause some rot
in the wood, but it's have to be fair while, and I'd expect the
plasterboard to be ready to fall off :-)

Is there access to the trap at all under the shower?

Sellers eh? you'd have though t they'd enough nouse to slap a bit of
stain block and and some emulsion over it.........
--
Chris French