Member

Location: Birmingham
Default Dyson DC11 blew up

My 18 month old dyson blew up. There was acrid smoke & sparks shooting out from it. I took the thing apart to find a 1p coin in the case. I can't tell if this actually got sucked into the motor, though the copper windings are all black & burned. Customer services were great - as I had the thing in pieces I asked if they could just supply a new motor for me to fit. Incredibly, this came to only £37.50 inc. delivery & VAT. Although I could possibly have got a warranty repair, it looks like an easy job & cheap to just put in a new motor.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Pufter writes:

My 18 month old dyson blew up. There was acrid smoke & sparks shooting
out from it. I took the thing apart to find a 1p coin in the case. I
can't tell if this actually got sucked into the motor, though the
copper windings are all black & burned. Customer services were great -
as I had the thing in pieces I asked if they could just supply a new
motor for me to fit. Incredibly, this came to only £37.50 inc. delivery
& VAT. Although I could possibly have got a warranty repair, it looks
like an easy job & cheap to just put in a new motor.

If you hadn't taken the thing to pieces, I think you would have
got a warranty repair, as I think they have a 2 year warranty.
They gave me a new hose, even though I had made it clear the
damage was my fault and I wasn't trying to claim under warranty.
I can't imagine how anything as large as a coin could get anywhere
near the motor. At least on my DC04 and DC07, there are a number
of traps going down to just over soot particle size before getting
into the motor.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Matt

Pufter wrote:

My 18 month old dyson blew up. There was acrid smoke & sparks shooting
out from it. I took the thing apart to find a 1p coin in the case. I
can't tell if this actually got sucked into the motor, though the
copper windings are all black & burned. Customer services were great -
as I had the thing in pieces I asked if they could just supply a new
motor for me to fit. Incredibly, this came to only £37.50 inc. delivery
& VAT. Although I could possibly have got a warranty repair, it looks
like an easy job & cheap to just put in a new motor.

As they make them overseas its a reasonable assumption that it was
sucked up in the UK ;-)

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Matt wrote:

As they make them overseas its a reasonable assumption that it was
sucked up in the UK ;-)

or force fed by a small child!

The places we have found coppers is not the worry, it's the ones we
haven't found that cause concern.

:¬)

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Member

Location: Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pufter
My 18 month old dyson blew up. There was acrid smoke & sparks shooting out from it. I took the thing apart to find a 1p coin in the case. I can't tell if this actually got sucked into the motor, though the copper windings are all black & burned. Customer services were great - as I had the thing in pieces I asked if they could just supply a new motor for me to fit. Incredibly, this came to only £37.50 inc. delivery & VAT. Although I could possibly have got a warranty repair, it looks like an easy job & cheap to just put in a new motor.
Update - took the old motor out & found the carbon brushes were all broken up, which had thrown debris into the motor & all over the windings. Replaced the motor with the new unit (only need to unclip/reattach two leads) & reassembled the vacuum. Now works fine. Could have been worse than the £30 odd quid, plus I have a brand new motor.

Dyson upright vacuum cleaner problem [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 February 26th 05 12:11 PM
Dyson on eBay: has one used ECOAST LIQUIDATION CENTER? Andrew Webber Home Ownership 2 September 25th 04 04:31 PM
Dyson DC04 switch removal. an other UK diy 0 October 15th 03 01:39 PM
Dyson washer fault code impvan UK diy 1 October 7th 03 12:01 AM
Best place to buy a Dyson DC04? The Q UK diy 4 July 11th 03 01:18 PM