Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mr Fizzion

Default BSI - backwards and a total rippoff

It's seems difficult and expensive to get British Standards. I know I
can view them in my local library but if I want a copy for home I have
to pay big money.

For example the latest version of BS 5440 parts 1 and 2 together would
cost me over GBP 200 for a hard copy.

You cannot actually purchase an electronic copy of a single standard.
You have to subscribe to a whole "module" - for example "Energy and
Heat Engineering" which then allows you to view or download all the
standards within that module. Subscriptions costs for this service
start "at a 4 figure sum" (according to the guy who answered the phone
when I called them).

This is quite infuriating. It seems BSI are trying to hide information
and not disseminate it. Compare this with ANSI where any american
standard can be downloaded for a few dollars with a few clicks and a
credit card number.

I don't see the reason for keeping British Standards secret!

Mr F.

P.S. If someone would like to email me BS5440 "illegally" - I'd be
interested :-)