Michael Mcneil

Default Appropos of nothing in particular

I watched two men remove two wooden "telegraph" poles this morning. They
shackled them to an hoist on their lorry and they came out like
splinters from a boil.

I was impressed with the clean edges at the bottoms of the poles and
went to have a closer look.

Clearly stamped as if it were done yesterday were the codes for each
one.

I asked them how old the posts were and they said about 20 or 30 years.

I was deeply impressed. What a shame they were now firewood. There was
nothing wrong with the poles. The elecricity was now being sent
underground and the pylons were surplus to requirements.

They may not have gone for firewood. You can buy them. I bought some
that were taken out from outside my house so no delivery charge. I
paid =A310 each. As you say, they were still in excellent condition. I
built a shed out of them so they will probably be of use for several
more decades.

Tim Mitchell

In article lgate.org,
Michael Mcneil writes

I watched two men remove two wooden "telegraph" poles this morning. They
shackled them to an hoist on their lorry and they came out like
splinters from a boil.

I was impressed with the clean edges at the bottoms of the poles and
went to have a closer look.

Clearly stamped as if it were done yesterday were the codes for each
one.

I asked them how old the posts were and they said about 20 or 30 years.

I was deeply impressed. What a shame they were now firewood. There was
nothing wrong with the poles. The elecricity was now being sent
underground and the pylons were surplus to requirements.

They pressurise preservative into them for weeks. Wooden railway
sleepers are the same. I dunno what the preservative is, but railway
sleepers ooze tar continuously for years, so it's probably something
really unhealthy.
--
Tim Mitchell
John Schmitt

Tim Mitchell wrote:

[telegraph poles]

They pressurise preservative into them for weeks. Wooden railway
sleepers are the same. I dunno what the preservative is, but railway
sleepers ooze tar continuously for years, so it's probably something
really unhealthy.

It used to be creosote, so yes, really unhealthy. When I was hiking
somewhere in the region of Settle, I saw the kit they used for
pressure-treating wood. Hi-tech it was not.

As we have a nothing in particular thread, this morning I recieved an
email about my cons and scams FAQ asking if there was a scam which was
remunerative and carried little risk. I answered with one word;
"politics". ;-)

John Schmitt

Matt

"Michael Mcneil" wrote:

I asked them how old the posts were and they said about 20 or 30 years.

Not sure about the power ones but BT poles have the date
pressed/carved into them - seen some recently that are early 1950's
and still in perfect condition.

Mary Fisher

"John Schmitt" wrote in message

As we have a nothing in particular thread, this morning I recieved an
email about my cons and scams FAQ asking if there was a scam which was
remunerative and carried little risk. I answered with one word;
"politics". ;-)

I'd say "the law".

Mary

John Schmitt

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
ups.com...
They may not have gone for firewood. You can buy them. I bought some
that were taken out from outside my house so no delivery charge. I
paid £10 each. As you say, they were still in excellent condition. I
built a shed out of them so they will probably be of use for several
more decades.

That's abargain.

In the Chippenham B&Q (I was under pressure) I saw the tiniest shed
imaginable for £99. It was one shed door wide and probably not much longer.

Mary

Bob Mannix

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"John Schmitt" wrote in message

As we have a nothing in particular thread, this morning I recieved an
email about my cons and scams FAQ asking if there was a scam which was
remunerative and carried little risk. I answered with one word;
"politics". ;-)

I'd say "the law".

Mary

Surely the lottery? Poorer people *happily* pay more than they can afford so
better off people enjoy improved sports and leisure facilities. With the law
and politics, those paying are unhappy about it - here the payers are happy
to be taxed - brilliant! The company running it has no risk, getting a
guaranteed percentage - brilliant! (yes I do buy 2 lucky dips a week but
that's all - you never know).

Bob Mannix

Mary Fisher

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"John Schmitt" wrote in message

As we have a nothing in particular thread, this morning I recieved an
email about my cons and scams FAQ asking if there was a scam which was
remunerative and carried little risk. I answered with one word;
"politics". ;-)

I'd say "the law".

Mary

Surely the lottery? Poorer people *happily* pay more than they can afford
so better off people enjoy improved sports and leisure facilities. With
the law and politics, those paying are unhappy about it - here the payers
are happy to be taxed - brilliant! The company running it has no risk,
getting a guaranteed percentage - brilliant! (yes I do buy 2 lucky dips a
week but that's all - you never know).

Well, the law profits from illegal acts.

Mary

Bob Mannix