DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   consumer unit mounting board (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/116165-consumer-unit-mounting-board.html)

pistolknight August 7th 05 01:53 PM

consumer unit mounting board

Hi i have just rewired the entire house and now plan to fit a split load consumer unit to replace the old fused cu. I have been told to mount the new CU on a fireproof board. What is the best material to use for this?

Andrew Gabriel August 7th 05 06:15 PM

In article ,
pistolknight writes:

Hi i have just rewired the entire house and now plan to fit a split load
consumer unit to replace the old fused cu. I have been told to mount
the new CU on a fireproof board.

By who?
Also, where do you live, and what are the building
materials used near where you are fitting the CU?

--
Andrew Gabriel

O.B. August 8th 05 01:13 PM

The leccy companies seem to mount their stuff on bits of chipboard.

O.B. August 8th 05 01:13 PM

The leccy companies seem to mount their stuff on bits of chipboard.

Lobster August 8th 05 07:03 PM

O.B. wrote:
The leccy companies seem to mount their stuff on bits of chipboard.

Yes, I had an electric supply laid on from scratch just over a year ago,
and a chipboard plank mounted on rubber standoffs was supplied and
fitted by the sparks who installed everything.

David

pistolknight August 8th 05 07:46 PM

By the bloke from Scottish Power.

I live in Edinburgh, the CU is currently mounted straight onto a plaster skimmed brick wall

David

raden August 8th 05 08:50 PM

In message .com, O.B.
writes
The leccy companies seem to mount their stuff on bits of chipboard.

That's what I used, mounted on two battens which allowed the wires to be
routed behind it

--
geoff

Andrew Gabriel August 9th 05 08:01 AM

In article ,
pistolknight writes:

Andrew Gabriel Wrote:
In article ,
pistolknight
writes:-

Hi i have just rewired the entire house and now plan to fit a split
load
consumer unit to replace the old fused cu. I have been told to mount
the new CU on a fireproof board.-

By who?
Also, where do you live, and what are the building
materials used near where you are fitting the CU?

By the bloke from Scottish Power.

I live in Edinburgh, the CU is currently mounted straight onto a
plaster skimmed brick wall

The only place I know of where this is required is Ireland,
and only for timber framed houses AFAIK. There is no such
requirement in the UK. In any case, a plaster skimmed brick
wall is about as fireproof as you can get...

--
Andrew Gabriel

pistolknight August 9th 05 09:42 PM

that sorts out that. Chipboard it is! Thanks everyone, i appreciate the help.