DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   White stuff on windows (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/115798-white-stuff-windows.html)

DrLargePants August 3rd 05 09:43 PM

White stuff on windows

sily question, but what's that white stuff that people have on their
windows when decorating (if they have no curtains) so you can't see in ?

Harry Bloomfield August 3rd 05 10:00 PM

After serious thinking DrLargePants wrote :
sily question, but what's that white stuff that people have on their
windows when decorating (if they have no curtains) so you can't see in ?

Cheap emulsion paint perhaps?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Brian G August 3rd 05 10:15 PM

DrLargePants wrote:
sily question, but what's that white stuff that people have on their
windows when decorating (if they have no curtains) so you can't see
in ?

Glass cleaning cream applied and left to dry! Apart from white emulsion
that is :-)

Brian G

woodglass August 3rd 05 10:42 PM

Probably snow - if it's mid-winter !!! :-)

oups.com...

Rod August 3rd 05 11:09 PM

"DrLargePants" wrote in
oups.com:

sily question, but what's that white stuff that people have on their
windows when decorating (if they have no curtains) so you can't see in ?

Whiting - so far as I know, this is powdered chalk. Mixed to a thin cream
with water and smeared over the glass. It is possible that something else
is added (such as a touch of glue size).

However, the suggestion of pink Windolene works quite well and is possibly
slightly easier to clean off.

Whiting is also used to reduce the temperature in a greenhouse.

And it's not the question that's silly!

--
Rod

raden August 3rd 05 11:23 PM

In message .com,
DrLargePants writes
sily question, but what's that white stuff that people have on their
windows when decorating (if they have no curtains) so you can't see in ?

Spray on snow ?

don't forget the xmas tree

--
geoff

Rod August 3rd 05 11:32 PM

wrote in :

Whiting is also used to reduce the temperature in a greenhouse.

And it's not the question that's silly!

Where do you get hold of it? I haven't seen it for years.

Most of the south of England is chalk... :-)

But true - I have not seen whiting for sale for a very long time (other
than in a fishmongers). Perhaps someone else can add that useful bit of
info?

--
Rod

Rob Morley August 3rd 05 11:32 PM

In article .com,
"DrLargePants" says...
sily question, but what's that white stuff that people have on their
windows when decorating (if they have no curtains) so you can't see in ?

Greenhouse shading?

Aidan August 3rd 05 11:41 PM

DrLargePants wrote:
sily question, but what's that white stuff that people have on their
windows

I heard somewhere that it was soap, but I've never tried it (putting it
on windows, that is).

OG August 4th 05 12:55 AM

"Rod" wrote in message
. 4...
wrote in :

Whiting is also used to reduce the temperature in a greenhouse.

And it's not the question that's silly!

Where do you get hold of it? I haven't seen it for years.

Most of the south of England is chalk... :-)

But true - I have not seen whiting for sale for a very long time (other
than in a fishmongers). Perhaps someone else can add that useful bit of
info?

I used to use it on my Dunlop Green Flash 'daps'

PJ August 4th 05 01:27 AM

raden wrote:
In message .com,
DrLargePants writes

sily question, but what's that white stuff that people have on their
windows when decorating (if they have no curtains) so you can't see in ?

The TV programme Open All Hours made a regular feature of writing on the
windows. Perhaps David Jason could help. The response from Ronnie Barker
would take far too long ;-).
PJ

Dave August 4th 05 08:12 PM

Rod wrote:

And it's not the question that's silly!

I worked in the aerospace industry for many years, on fast military jets.

When a new man came to the section, the first thing I would say to them
was:-

'there is no such thing as a silly question, if you do not know and
can't find out from a book, then ask'.

Dave

ben September 8th 05 06:48 PM

DrLargePants wrote:
sily question, but what's that white stuff that people have on their
windows when decorating (if they have no curtains) so you can't see
in ?

Bit of an old thread I know but I just gorra give the right answer.

Windowlene, applied wet then wait for it to dry.

From your local supermarkets or chandlers.