Lobster

Default Fitting TRVs on to 10mm copper tube

I'm fitting some radiators, with 10mm pipe, and was going to use some
unused TRVs which I have in, but these are for 15mm pipe. Now, ISTR in
the past seeing a TRV (15mm) fitted with a reducer to enable it to be
used with 10mm tubing. A Screwfix search has thrown up the following:
http://tinyurl.com/bpant (or
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...21415&id=23297) and I'm
wondering, is that what this is? ie, will it work in any TRV? I can't
remember whether the one I saw before had a bespoke insert or not.

Thanks
David
Andy Hall

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:44:06 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

I'm fitting some radiators, with 10mm pipe, and was going to use some
unused TRVs which I have in, but these are for 15mm pipe. Now, ISTR in
the past seeing a TRV (15mm) fitted with a reducer to enable it to be
used with 10mm tubing. A Screwfix search has thrown up the following:
http://tinyurl.com/bpant (or
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...21415&id=23297) and I'm
wondering, is that what this is? ie, will it work in any TRV? I can't
remember whether the one I saw before had a bespoke insert or not.

Thanks
David

You can get concentric ring sets that will fit into the valve in place
of the olive and do this, but they are a PITA to fit and somewhat
dodgy because they tend to leak IME.

A better solution is a 15mm male to 10mm female adaptor.

Have a look at www.bes.co.uk part number 9214. Type the part number
into the product search and then scroll down the resultant page.

I used the 8mm version of these very successfully. Most of the
fitting disappears into the valve so it's very neat. It's also a
solid solution in terms of not leaking.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
.

I'm fitting some radiators, with 10mm pipe, and was going to use some
unused TRVs which I have in, but these are for 15mm pipe. Now, ISTR in
the past seeing a TRV (15mm) fitted with a reducer to enable it to be
used with 10mm tubing. A Screwfix search has thrown up the following:
http://tinyurl.com/bpant (or
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...21415&id=23297) and I'm
wondering, is that what this is? ie, will it work in any TRV? I can't
remember whether the one I saw before had a bespoke insert or not.

Thanks
David

The Screwfix part is the one I used with my 8 mm. It worked fine with
several 15 mm trvs. When you tighten the nut the reducer breaks in 2 and
one part squeezes the other onto the pipe like an olive.
The only problem I had was that the reducer was a little bulky and the
nut only just caught the thread so it had to be perfectly square.
--
..