Hzatph

Default Electrics and Oil Tank

We are in the process of installing a pond in our garden. We will include a
UV clarifier in the system - water is continuously recycled through a UV
light to prevent algae from forming. The most convenient place to install
the clarifier, which cannot be submerged into the pond itself, is on one of
the brick piers supporting our oil tank. However, are there regulations
concerning the proximity of electrical items to oil tanks and, if so, what
are they. Clearly we would not mount the light there if it breaches the
regulations.

Thanks

Harry

PS the oil tank contains standard central heating oil.

John

"Hzatph" wrote in message
We are in the process of installing a pond in our garden. We will include
a UV clarifier in the system - water is continuously recycled through a UV
light to prevent algae from forming. The most convenient place to install
the clarifier, which cannot be submerged into the pond itself, is on one
of the brick piers supporting our oil tank. However, are there regulations
concerning the proximity of electrical items to oil tanks and, if so, what
are they. Clearly we would not mount the light there if it breaches the
regulations.

Thanks

Harry

PS the oil tank contains standard central heating oil.

In many years of working with Domestic oil tanks and heating systems, I've
never yet come across one with mains electrics on or near it (the majority
being tucked away out of sight as far as possible) The nearest thing being
armoured cables running past en route to a remote shed or similar. In the
case of a steel tank/fuel pipe there is an obvious need to make provision
against indirect contact i.e. by earth equipotential bonding.
Commercial oil installations with electrics included by design do have
specified standards including the use of flameproof apparatus at horrendous
cost. Without referring to these standards I'd be reluctant to suggest you
go ahead with this idea. You could try looking at the OFTEC website or
google for something like oil-tank electrical installations or equipment
Is it absolutely essential you use the tank location or is this just a first
preferred option?

Grunff

Hzatph wrote:
We are in the process of installing a pond in our garden. We will include a
UV clarifier in the system - water is continuously recycled through a UV
light to prevent algae from forming. The most convenient place to install
the clarifier, which cannot be submerged into the pond itself, is on one of
the brick piers supporting our oil tank. However, are there regulations
concerning the proximity of electrical items to oil tanks and, if so, what
are they. Clearly we would not mount the light there if it breaches the
regulations.

I don't know what the regs situation is, but surely this is just not a
good idea in any case.

Can you not build a suitable structure a few metres away from the oil tank?

--
Grunff
Peter Stockdale

"Grunff" wrote in message
Hzatph wrote:
We are in the process of installing a pond in our garden. We will include
a UV clarifier in the system - water is continuously recycled through a
UV light to prevent algae from forming. The most convenient place to
install the clarifier, which cannot be submerged into the pond itself, is
on one of the brick piers supporting our oil tank. However, are there
regulations concerning the proximity of electrical items to oil tanks
and, if so, what are they. Clearly we would not mount the light there if
it breaches the regulations.

I don't know what the regs situation is, but surely this is just not a
good idea in any case.

Can you not build a suitable structure a few metres away from the oil
tank?

--
Grunff

My u.v. box sits on a couple of bricks at the edge of the pond.
It is mostly hidden by shrubbery.
I can't see the necessity for building a structure

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Grunff

Peter Stockdale wrote:

My u.v. box sits on a couple of bricks at the edge of the pond.
It is mostly hidden by shrubbery.
I can't see the necessity for building a structure

I didn't mean a shed or anything - just something to keep it off the
ground and out of the weeds. We have a distribution box near the garage
which feeds the garage and the pump house. This is a waterproof box, but
I've attached it to a tower of 4 concrete blocks. This keeps it nicely
accessible even when everything's overgrown. That's really all I meant
by a structure in this case.

--
Grunff

Peter Stockdale

"Grunff" wrote in message
Peter Stockdale wrote:

My u.v. box sits on a couple of bricks at the edge of the pond.
It is mostly hidden by shrubbery.
I can't see the necessity for building a structure

I didn't mean a shed or anything - just something to keep it off the
ground and out of the weeds. We have a distribution box near the garage
which feeds the garage and the pump house. This is a waterproof box, but
I've attached it to a tower of 4 concrete blocks. This keeps it nicely
accessible even when everything's overgrown. That's really all I meant by
a structure in this case.

--
Grunff

My electrics structure is a piece of 3by3 post to which the d.box is
attached.
I find it difficult is these sort of cases to advise people as they rarely
give enough detail.
It would be easy to assess if one was actually on site.
As a fallback,one photo is worth a thousand words it is said.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Michael Chare

"Hzatph" wrote in message
We are in the process of installing a pond in our garden. We will include a
UV clarifier in the system - water is continuously recycled through a UV
light to prevent algae from forming. The most convenient place to install
the clarifier, which cannot be submerged into the pond itself, is on one of
the brick piers supporting our oil tank. However, are there regulations
concerning the proximity of electrical items to oil tanks and, if so, what
are they. Clearly we would not mount the light there if it breaches the
regulations.

I would be wary of having electrics or anything else which might ignite oil
accidently spilt, or leaking from the tank.

You may find info on the OFTEC web site:

http://www.oftec.co.uk/publications/...nfosheets1.htm

--

Michael Chare

Hzatph

Thanks for the advice - our electricians were unsure about the point when
asked and my intuitive reaction is inline with the replies given. The tank
is plastic to answer one the question someone raised.

"Hzatph" wrote in message
We are in the process of installing a pond in our garden. We will include
a UV clarifier in the system - water is continuously recycled through a UV
light to prevent algae from forming. The most convenient place to install
the clarifier, which cannot be submerged into the pond itself, is on one
of the brick piers supporting our oil tank. However, are there regulations
concerning the proximity of electrical items to oil tanks and, if so, what
are they. Clearly we would not mount the light there if it breaches the
regulations.

Thanks

Harry

PS the oil tank contains standard central heating oil.

raden

In message , Grunff
writes
Peter Stockdale wrote:

My u.v. box sits on a couple of bricks at the edge of the pond.
It is mostly hidden by shrubbery.
I can't see the necessity for building a structure

I didn't mean a shed or anything - just something to keep it off the
ground and out of the weeds. We have a distribution box near the garage
which feeds the garage and the pump house. This is a waterproof box,
but I've attached it to a tower of 4 concrete blocks. This keeps it
nicely accessible even when everything's overgrown. That's really all I
meant by a structure in this case.

Mine's just supported on a couple of bricks too. I bought some ribbed
piping to extend the outflow
--
geoff
Peter Stockdale

"raden" wrote in message

Mine's just supported on a couple of bricks too. I bought some ribbed
piping to extend the outflow
--
geoff

Got the ribbed piping too !
Bet your fall doesn"t employ a firegrate back as a base like what mine does
!!

Pete

Peter Stockdale

" Got the ribbed piping too !
Bet your fall doesn"t employ a firegrate back as a base like what mine
does !!

Pete

P. S. Sorry about the visual on the poles and netting. Pete = 4000v
and 100+ goldfish - one. Herons- nil

http://www.geocities.com/thecanalsho...5072005003.jpg

raden

In message , Peter Stockdale
writes

"raden" wrote in message

Mine's just supported on a couple of bricks too. I bought some ribbed
piping to extend the outflow
--
geoff

Got the ribbed piping too !
Bet your fall doesn"t employ a firegrate back as a base like what mine does
!!

I'm in the process of building a waterfall / water feature

When I say in the process of, it's some bonding plaster built on a
chicken wire former with plaster of paris on the front, which has yet
(in the past two years) to get sculptured

.... one day

--
geoff
raden

In message , Peter Stockdale
writes

" Got the ribbed piping too !
Bet your fall doesn"t employ a firegrate back as a base like what mine
does !!

Pete

P. S. Sorry about the visual on the poles and netting. Pete = 4000v
and 100+ goldfish - one. Herons- nil

http://www.geocities.com/thecanalsho...5072005003.jpg

Yeah, one got four of my fish two years ago. It would now need some
serious wire cutters now

--
geoff
Andy Hall

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:10:35 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Peter Stockdale
writes

" Got the ribbed piping too !
Bet your fall doesn"t employ a firegrate back as a base like what mine
does !!

Pete

P. S. Sorry about the visual on the poles and netting. Pete = 4000v
and 100+ goldfish - one. Herons- nil

http://www.geocities.com/thecanalsho...5072005003.jpg

Yeah, one got four of my fish two years ago. It would now need some
serious wire cutters now

... or a heron aid....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Peter Stockdale

"raden" wrote in message
I'm in the process of building a waterfall / water feature

When I say in the process of, it's some bonding plaster built on a chicken
wire former with plaster of paris on the front, which has yet (in the past
two years) to get sculptured

... one day

--
geoff

Yup - its all a question of --one day !
My underground superdupa armoured etc. leccy feed failed last winter.
The pump and filter system is currently fed by an extension cable strung
along the sheep fencing.

one day ----- !!

Pete

raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:10:35 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Peter Stockdale
writes

" Got the ribbed piping too !
Bet your fall doesn"t employ a firegrate back as a base like what mine
does !!

Pete

P. S. Sorry about the visual on the poles and netting. Pete = 4000v
and 100+ goldfish - one. Herons- nil

http://www.geocities.com/thecanalsho...5072005003.jpg

Yeah, one got four of my fish two years ago. It would now need some
serious wire cutters now

.. or a heron aid....

It would have to be on a stork to reach them

--
geoff
Peter Stockdale

"raden" wrote in message

.. or a heron aid....

It would have to be on a stork to reach them

--

Yes -they are robin b######s

Pete

Andy Hall

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:08:36 +0100, "Peter Stockdale"
wrote:

"raden" wrote in message

.. or a heron aid....

It would have to be on a stork to reach them

--

Yes -they are robin b######s

Pete

So you have to be eagle eyed and swift to catch them....

I suppose I shouldn't carrion.....