Neil

Default Newly-bought house check-up

Hi all,

I've recently bought a mid-terrace 2-bed (one upstairs in the eaves (?)
the other a bed/diner/study/whatever downstairs at the front with a bay
window), and am now running around tidying it up quickly before I move
in. The survey put it down as built in mid-1930's, with stone (mostly
granite afaict) walls, and a red-tile roof. Reading some of the
messages here, I'm not likely to dive in for the amount of diy that
some are doing, but I'm starting slowly along that road

The only major thing on the survey seemed to be the fact that the roof
was supposedly original, which didn't really put me off, but perhaps
should have done so There are no obvious leaks, but there are a few
tiles which are cracked or askew. I noticed a patch above the front bay
window, inside, where some paint had peeled off (but does not feel damp
atm - and it has rained relatively recently), and while starting to
decorate the upstairs bedroom I noticed a few patches where the painted
wallpaper is either 'unstuck' with a solid flat surface underneath, or
perhaps worse is feeling rather 'soft' underneath - this around the
window frame in the dormer bedroom at the front, and also around a
velux window in the sloping roof at the back (in the top hall). Are
these really bad warning signs that I should get seen-to asap, or is it
just to be expected? I'm planning on getting some quotes for a roof
'checkup' in any case, but slightly worried about what that might lead
to!

Also, does anyone know if there are any guidelines/laws about location
of (freestanding) cookers in a kitchen? The previous owner had an
electric oven (which they removed) near the door into the kitchen, and
a fridge freezer up against the window into the garden (blocking out
quite some light!). I'm thinking of swapping the positions of these
two, possibly changing to a gas cooker. I'm guessing that the gas pipes
to the CH boiler upstairs pass behind where the fridge-freezer
currently is, and hoping that it would be possible to 'tap off' a
supply for a gas cooker. However I'm concerned that having an oven near
these (blocked-off) pipes is potentially risky, and the new oven
position would put it up against the window with its wooden surround -
another potential problem. Am I just being paranoid?

Looking forward to people's ideas/comments, (TIA)

--
Neil